NHTSA - May require GM to issue a new recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
http://www.ctvnews.ca/autos/u-s-safety-a...ecall-1.1192167

Quote:
DETROIT -- Safety regulators in the U.S. are investigating whether to add more than a million General Motors midsize cars to a recall for brake light problems.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says it's checking into complaints about the 2004 to 2011 Chevrolet Malibu and the 2007 to 2009 Saturn Aura. The safety agency says the brake lights may not come on when the pedal is pressed, while at other times the lights can illuminate for no reason.
In 2009, GM recalled about 8,000 Pontiac G6 midsize cars from the 2005 model year for the same problem. The government announced in February that it's investigating whether to add 550,000 G6s sold from 2005 to 2009.
Now the agency is investigating 97 complaints from Malibu and Aura owners about the same problems. The two cars share many of the same parts with the G6, but GM spokesmen were unsure Tuesday whether all three cars have the same brake lights.
The Detroit company sold more than 1.5 million Malibus and Auras from 2004 through 2011, according to Ward's AutoInfoBank, but it was unclear how many of them are included in the investigation.
No additional recalls have been issued beyond the 8,000 cars called in for repairs in 2009, although NHTSA says it opened the probe "to determine if the scope of the recall should be expanded or an adjustment in existing remedies is required."
NHTSA says if the brake lights don't illuminate, drivers behind the cars won't be warned, and that could lead to a crash. A GM spokesman said Tuesday the company has no reports of crashes or injuries.
In the 2009 recall, GM traced the problem to corrosion in a wiring connector. Dealers were to fix it by putting a lubricant on the connector to prevent corrosion. The company sent dealers a service bulletin in October of 2010 detailing how to fix similar brake light problems in Malibus and Auras, NHTSA said.
Some of the owners who complained about G6 brake light problems also said the cruise control may not engage or will disengage unintentionally.
Owners who suspect brake light or cruise control problems should take their cars to any Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac or GMC dealer. GM shut down the Pontiac and Saturn brands in 2010 as part of its massive restructuring.

Can you believe the BCM controls when the brake lights come on in these cars? I found this out because the brake lights don't illuminate when the ignition is off. Needless integration IMO

Originally Posted By: cchase
Seems like kind of a snore recall.

Yup, nothing too serious
smile.gif

I knew YOU would be all over this
grin.gif
. Is that the best you can do
48.gif

So much for the claim the G won't investigate or issue a recall on "Government" Motors.

Originally Posted By: jrustles
Can you believe the BCM controls when the brake lights come on in these cars? I found this out because the brake lights don't illuminate when the ignition is off. Needless integration IMO

I found this out when I hit the brake in the garage with my old Aura and didn't see the reflection in the garage door!

I guess it makes sense, with electronic throttle the BCM is the cruise and needs to know when to disengage, plus with ABS and stability control. The BCM already controls all the other exterior lights!

Far from a snoozer,if the brake lights dont work you get rear ended.Maybe that would be an improvement...make those Malibus look like 4 door Gremlins after they get rammed.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Far from a snoozer,if the brake lights dont work you get rear ended.Maybe that would be an improvement...make those Malibus look like 4 door Gremlins after they get rammed.

I see enough non-recalled vehicles with one or more brake lights inoperable to consider this "not a big deal". Recalls that lead to fires or may directly cause a crash seem far more serious to me.

Yeah or if the safety related issue is also something expensive and difficult to repair.

What's the rule? A minor problem on a GM model is to be considered a BIG issue, and a major problem on any other make is to be considered a SMALL issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Yeah or if the safety related issue is also something expensive and difficult to repair.

What's the rule? A minor problem on a GM model is to be considered a BIG issue, and a major problem on any other make is to be considered a SMALL issue.

Not exactly.

I'm sure if you had a BMW or Benz, the price of that issue would be even higher.

Originally Posted By: jrustles

On the contrary, this feature allows the vehicle to monitor whether the brake lights are working or not. On my previous Audi, it could tell me if the light was functional, and which one was burnt out. It was nice to know all my lights were working when they should be. Without running the lights through the micro, this would not be possible.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY

I see enough non-recalled vehicles with one or more brake lights inoperable to consider this "not a big deal". Recalls that lead to fires or may directly cause a crash seem far more serious to me.

You'd think if brake lights were so important there would be more enforcement, as i see vehicles daily in traffic with no brake lights.

Either way, this is potentially serious to those who do not check periodically. I walk around my truck every AM and check the lights for proper operation. Then the brake lights when I have something behind me to reflect off of.

Yup - I see cars all the time missing one or two tail lights ... or have none at all.

THen, there's the cars with the brake lights on all the time - even after the car is turned off.

Yeah I've seen a few of these. Mostly one or two malibus with the brake lights illuminated all the time. Its not exclusive though, saw an older focus with the same thing. I got out and quickly let him know at the next red light.

Just yesterday saw an older CR-V whose reverse lights were on driving down the highway. This kind of thing definitely isn't manufacturer specific and shouldn't matter too much to other drivers who are Paying attention.

I thought it was th eother way 'round.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I thought it was th eother way 'round.

Depending on your perspective, it may be.

"What we see depends mainly on what we look for." -- John Lubbock

Originally Posted By: Miller88

THen, there's the cars with the brake lights on all the time - even after the car is turned off.

Sisters BMW and my Old 02 VW. I see a lot of European stuff with brake lights on just crusing at highway speeds.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

Sisters BMW and my Old 02 VW. I see a lot of European stuff with brake lights on just crusing at highway speeds.

+1 I see a lot more Audi and VW cars with brake lights stuck on compared to GM vehicles. I've seen at least 4 Audi A4s with that issue, and a VW Jetta and Passat with the same problem.

I did see a Chevy Aveo with a strange issue though. When the car was driving in front of me the brake lights were lit up, but dimly. I knew it was the brake lights because the top one was on. When they approached a stop sign and tapped the brakes, their turn signal lights lit up at the same time. They were solid though, no blinking. Not sure what was wrong with the car. I jumped out and told the owner but she didn't really seem bothered by it. Maybe when she gets rearended or pulled over she might be.
21.gif

Are you sure there's an issue with these cars and it isn't just the "rear fog light" mandated on a lot of Euro-spec cars?

Are you sure there's an issue with these cars and it isn't just the "rear fog light" mandated on a lot of Euro-spec cars?

I've seen the same thing on a few A4s. I knew it was the brakes because of the top light being lit up. Aren't the rear fogs closer to the license plate on those cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back