Next New Oil You Will Try ?

IMG_3994.jpeg

These will be the ones I try next. I’ve used different formulations of Quaker State and different weights of Toyota oil. Never tried the STP. I got it free yesterday so will be trying all of these. The Quaker State in the Escape the 5W-30 STP in the 2004 Camry with the single Toyota quart to top off as it’s an oil user.

My next oil was going to be HPL 5w20 HDEO, but it can be custom blend/made but I’ve decided I’ll just go with their CK-4 HDEO 5w30. I’m not putting David thru trouble of blending me a CK-4 5w20. I’m happy with their NO VII 5w20 and their products.

Going to be moving to M1 0w-20 EP. I was curious about it, hearing that it has a “better” base than other comparable oils, and snagged 6 gallons with some strong rebates it came out cheaper than the M1 AFE. Will be running this in my 22 Civic and wife’s 23 CRV, both with the 1.5t

I've been using Kendal GT1 Synthetic on my Ford trucks, and a 2019 Hyundai Kona 2.0. The Kona did not like the Kendal, all vehicles using 5w30 synthetic. The Kona used 1 quart every 4-5k miles. Switched to Castrol Edge on the Kona and no consumption yet. I put it into our 2016 Explorer V6 normal aspirated, but on my old Ford truck 5.4 2v engine I am going to try SuperTech Advanced 5w30 synthetic.

I bet it won't make bit of difference except save me a lot of money.

Going to be moving to M1 0w-20 EP. I was curious about it, hearing that it has a “better” base than other comparable oils, and snagged 6 gallons with some strong rebates it came out cheaper than the M1 AFE. Will be running this in my 22 Civic and wife’s 23 CRV, both with the 1.5t
It may have been reformulated according to the latest SDS, the table shows it is no longer a majority group iv blend. I am sure your fleet will do fine on this premium lubricant.

m10w20ep_msds_june2022.jpg

It may have been reformulated according to the latest SDS, the table shows it is no longer a majority group iv blend. I am sure your fleet will do fine on this premium lubricant.

View attachment 163953
Thanks for that! We’re only doing 5k mi OCI so I don’t think it’s going to matter much one way or the other. For the civic that will be about 3x a year, for the CR-V probably once. 3.75qt capacity for both cars brings the cost of an oil change to $22 with an OEM filter that I bought in bulk

After running three consecutive 10,000 mile intervals using Mobil1 EP (and knowing that my current run is with the new formula with the much lower PAO percentage), my next change I will be dialing back the interval and upping the viscosity a tad (0W20 to 5W30), and using the Amalie synthetic I have laying around for the occasion.
Well now you did it, after running Amalie, you went to Mobil1 again, and now you’ve been swayed to go boutique by Bob is the oil guy logic (which actually did make sense), and will go straight to Amsoil Signature Series. And will go back to 10,000 mile intervals.

I recently put Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30 (Triple Action Formula) in both my Chevy and Toyota which prior were running Quakerstate All Mileage.

So far everything seems to be going good, the oil is still very clean on my Chevy but it is also a very clean engine, on my Toyota it is getting a bit dark but still clean, I have noticed it is a bit cleaner under the oil cap so maybe some cleaning action going on, maybe slightly less oil burn off on the Mobil 1 compared to the QS on the Toyota it is a 1MZ-FE engine.

So far the engines are not louder running Mobil 1 like some people especially that Ford guy claims.

Both are running Microgard Select oil filters, but I might for the hell of it give the Synthetic endurance a run next oil change and stick to the Mobil 1 oil if it continues to go good.

I've already changed two cars over to HPL. Premium Plus 0w20 in a Camry that specs for 0w16, and will run it at least 10,000 miles. No VII 5W20 in an Accord with 120,000 miles on it, will run it at least until the Maintenance Minder says to change it...but, will probably go 10,000 miles (I have HPL 0w20 in it now...and oil consumption slowed down from 1 quart per 5000 miles to almost zero loss per 5000 miles...perhaps it cleaned the oil control rings?).

I've just bought a used Mini Countryman with 300+ HP BMW B48 with 15,000 miles, spec'd for 0W20, for which I've ordered HPL Supercar 0w30. It had two oil changes at BMW shops, at 5000 and 10000 miles, and a third change at a non-BMW shop at 15,000. I didn't trust this last oil change, drained and put in Pennzoil Euro LX 0w30, the same oil I was doing 5000 mile intervals with my previous Countryman 228 HP B48. Thankfully, the oil filter was the correct BMW filter and was clean as a whistle, I put it right back in. I'll probably go at least 7500 with the HPL, but, I might do an oil analysis and check the TBN, and if everything looks good, continue to 10,000 miles.

One of the benefits of these HPL oils is the ability to run longer OCI's, and the Camry and Accord will have no problems running 10,000 miles. The B48 makes me a bit wary because of the turbo, and they have dialed up 300+ HP on a 2.0 L engine, but, I don't run it very hard. Every once in a while I'll floor it for a few seconds, or go on some twisty roads and hold the RPM's up a bit, but, compared to tracking it...it's operating in relatively tame conditions for the most part. With at least one long highway run per week, I'm thinking it gets hot enough to help keep it healthy.

IMG_4058.jpeg

Castrol Edge European. It was on sale at Advance Auto for $5.23 a quart so picked up 5 quarts of it. Dad thought I got a heck of deal on it so that’s good. We will be using it in the Toyota Camry provided it makes it any longer it’s been acting like it’s going to give up the ghost any minute lol. It’s about to hit the 300K miles and we think the head bolts are breaking in it which those engines are know for. If it doesn’t make it I’ll probably end up selling this or collecting because then I wouldn’t have anything that specs a 5W-30. By choice I don’t deviate from what the cap says so unless I find another 5W-30 car I’d have no use for it.

Forgot to take a picture but I picked up some Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-20 going to run it in my Escape after I use the Quaker State. I’ve used it before when Pennzoil asked me to do the study but haven’t bought any since as Walmart is usually sold out. Finally was able to get 6 quarts of it so that’s what I’m going to use next. Was hoping to get the high mileage one but the selection was picked over yesterday when I went to get it so I got what they had. I’ve been running exclusively Valvoline and Castrol in this engine and when I sent my samples to Pennzoil they told me it was the cleanest engine they had ever seen with the amount of miles I had. So I’m glad I get to run some more Pennzoil now. That used to be all my dad would buy back in the day. Now he will buy whatever name brand just like me.

Forgot to take a picture but I picked up some Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-20 going to run it in my Escape after I use the Quaker State. I’ve used it before when Pennzoil asked me to do the study but haven’t bought any since as Walmart is usually sold out. Finally was able to get 6 quarts of it so that’s what I’m going to use next. Was hoping to get the high mileage one but the selection was picked over yesterday when I went to get it so I got what they had. I’ve been running exclusively Valvoline and Castrol in this engine and when I sent my samples to Pennzoil they told me it was the cleanest engine they had ever seen with the amount of miles I had. So I’m glad I get to run some more Pennzoil now. That used to be all my dad would buy back in the day. Now he will buy whatever name brand just like me.
What Pennzoil study? That sounds cool

Back