Nexen Tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be picking up a set of wheels & tires from a forum member on the Subaru Legacy board. The wheels are in excellent shape, with TPMS, and tires. My question is about the tires that he currently has on the wheels, they are Nexen CP662 225/45/18 with about 8,000 miles on them.

Anyone know anything about Nexen tires specifically and the SP662 model?

I would only pay what the rims and sensors are worth.

Nexen are OK for budget tires. For comparison, Toyo are much better, and Michelin & Bridgestone are completely out of range quality wise compared to Nexen. Nexen competes with Falken, Fuzion, Maxxis, and Kenda.

At 8,000 miles they might be half worn out already, depends how the person drives.

yep That's a fact Cardenio327

Nexen have a few models I would call "average" everything else is sub-par. Definitely not Chinese private label.. but not good either.

Nexen are junk IMO.

I put a couple on my SiLs car and the side wall started to split. I thought she hit something sharp but the other tire started to have the same problem, in the same spot, in a perfect circle.

Did some looking and someone had one do the same thing and blow out. They were no help when I write them about the tires either.

Get real tires.

Top choices in that size:
Falken Azenis PT722
Dunlop Signature HP
General Altimax RT43
Hankook S1 Noble 2
and
(if you can afford it)
Michelin Pilot Sport AS3

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327

Nexen competes with Falken, Fuzion, Maxxis, and Kenda.

Nah, I think Falken is a bit higher than those
smile.gif

My family has two vehicles that are riding on Nexen tires and we are very happy with the performance. A very good tire for the dollar IMO. Ed

My wife got talked into them (NEXEN CP672) by Towne Un-Fair Tire on our last Subaru re-tire.
Had to go back 3 times for a re-balance/shimmy issue. Then the tires had poor response/handling and OK ride quality. I would NEVER buy them again. Same with Sumitomo.Ive had very Impressive falken 50 series Z rated zeix I got for tire change #1 on my 95 Suzuki Areio SX 2.3 5m hatch-a-gon.

Last edited:
I would rather go sumitomo or house brand.

My oem nexens were shot after 25k on my KIA with regular rotates and alignments/checks. Mostly highway, not really abused ( a KIA soul on 15s doesn't have much ability to abuse). Terrible tires... not that great in snow either. replaced with michelin defenders

But yeah if there free with the rims burn em up

We sell these tires all the time at work, and honestly I tell people to not even waste their money. Half of the time the tires come back with half the tread within 10-15,000 miles. For a little more money you could go with a quality tire like a General RT43 and know you will get the mileage out of them.

Nexen may not be a super-top-tier tire brand, but they're far from the likes of a no-name Chinese private label tire.

Nexen is a Korean tire company and they're an OE supplier. Tire Rack says the CP662 is made in Korea.

Consumer Reports gives this tire a pretty good rating. They say they're not spectacular in the wet or in winter conditions. Now, will they be able to keep up their performance over time? That's something that really no testing organization can tell you.

Nexen is a major tire company, so I wouldn't have concerns about running the tires like I would with some total no-name tires. Maybe they won't turn out to be a perfect choice for the OP, but it's definitely worth using them for a while to see if you like them.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
My wife got talked into them (NEXEN CP672) by Towne Un-Fair Tire on our last Subaru re-tire.
Had to go back 3 times for a re-balance/shimmy issue. Then the tires had poor response/handling and OK ride quality. I would NEVER buy them again. Same with Sumitomo.Ive had very Impressive falken 50 series Z rated zeix I got for tire change #1 on my 95 Suzuki Areio SX 2.3 5m hatch-a-gon.

Sumitomo is the parent company of Falken.

Yeah, I shouldn't let one bad apple spoil the whole bunch, grrrl.

I agree Two different tires sizes and designs and two different cars do not make a valid comparo. The 17" Sumitomos were terrible on my 2001 Stratus R/T coupe. The Falkens wre wonderful on the Aerio SX. But the Falkens did measure an actual 35 aspect ratio instead of the 50 advertised. IIRC they were under 60 bucks a piece, stuck like glue, sharp turn in response, predictable grip: but they wore fast. Gotta pay to play, I sup Hose.

Last edited:
Had the OE Nexens off my Fiancee's 200S within the first 200 miles, switched to GY Eagle Sport All Seasons and never looked back.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Get real tires.

Top choices in that size:
Falken Azenis PT722
Dunlop Signature HP
General Altimax RT43
Hankook S1 Noble 2
and
(if you can afford it)
Michelin Pilot Sport AS3

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327

Nexen competes with Falken, Fuzion, Maxxis, and Kenda.

Nah, I think Falken is a bit higher than those
smile.gif

Hey I am happy to see rt43 is on the list. I have rt43 that average 31.19 mpg, epa rate 28 hwy. I had driven about 3000 miles so it's too early to tell how long it will list. I hope 60k.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Do you remember which tires they were? Model name, like Falken Ziez 912, Sumitomo HTR AS P01, etc
I HAVE THE RECEIPT SOMEWHERE - IIRC THEY WERE 512 SERIES ZIEX?

I have some type of Nexens on the wife's Impala. They were on there when we bought it, they've been decent tires in the 10 months we've had the car. Tiny bit of road noise above 50mph, but nothing crazy.

To the OP: did you get the wheels/tires?

I currently have Nexen N5000's on my current car (came with the used vehicle). They are ok, but a bit loud and they spin on "spirited" take-offs. The ride has been decent and they corner well. Treadwear does not look good at all though; CarMax had placed a pair on the car before I purchased. I've had them for about 15K miles and will probably have to replace in another 5K.

Not the greatest but if they are in good shape and have plenty of tred I would keep them on. Next time I would consider purchasing something like a General or Cooper. General is making some really nice tires now a days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back