Newer F150's headlights

Looking at the 2020 and 2021 Ford F150s and have a question their website doesn't seem well suited to answer. Does anybody know what package(s) come with, or are required to select, the LED headlights? While my old 2011 has...acceptable... headlights our 2018 has absolutely terrible headlights (H11 low, 9005 high), even after swapping the H11 to H9 bulbs for better output. If we were to upgrade to a newer truck I would definitely need the better headlights but just not sure which packages those are available with. Personally, I would like something closer to a no-frills XLT (300A?) but I'm very sure they wouldn't be available on such a proletarian ride.

IIHS breaks them down pretty well and shows you how they perform. In short, at least for the 2020s, they only come with poor rates headlamps. The lowered ones are bad for the driver and the upper end ones are bad fit oncoming drivers.

IIHS breaks them down pretty well and shows you how they perform. In short, at least for the 2020s, they only come with poor rates headlamps. The lowered ones are bad for the driver and the upper end ones are bad fit oncoming drivers.

Agreed. But I was hoping somebody would know which packages allow/include the LED versions?

Not sure how comprehensive IIHS’ list is but they appear to list the trim and option package needed to get LEDs.
9EC57DED-657E-43E8-B20D-F045738410A1.png
3BCC863A-CA39-4B83-87AA-79A3C9C7D713.png

Just be aware that if you drive a lot in town or on two lane highways, be prepared to get flashed frequently. If you primarily drive on divided highways at night, you should be fine.

A friend of mine recently traded in his 2020 F150 Platinum for a RAM 1500 Limited because of how annoying it was to get flashed multiple times during his early morning commutes. He also got pulled over and received a ticket because the cop thought he had aftermarket/non-street legal bulbs in; because he couldn’t take the time off, he ended up paying the ~$80 fine for the “privilege” of having his LED headlamps.

Just be aware that if you drive a lot in town or on two lane highways, be prepared to get flashed frequently. If you primarily drive on divided highways at night, you should be fine.

A friend of mine recently traded in his 2020 F150 Platinum for a RAM 1500 Limited because of how annoying it was to get flashed multiple times during his early morning commutes. He also got pulled over and received a ticket because the cop thought he had aftermarket/non-street legal bulbs in; because he couldn’t take the time off, he ended up paying the ~$80 fine for the “privilege” of having his LED headlamps.
my daughters 19 RAV has those kill ya headlights. Flashed by every 5 or 6th car. Of course Toyota said they are PERFECT, yea sure. I looked around the net prior to her taking them in to adjust them so was expecting both results. End solution very simple. I adjusted the drivers side down some problem solved. Its very easy to judge with LED as there is a distinct cut off so when its down you can actually see its down quite easily. Like most things, if you want it fixed right do it yourself.

my daughters 19 RAV has those kill ya headlights. Flashed by every 5 or 6th car. Of course Toyota said they are PERFECT, yea sure. I looked around the net prior to her taking them in to adjust them so was expecting both results. End solution very simple. I adjusted the drivers side down some problem solved. Its very easy to judge with LED as there is a distinct cut off so when its down you can actually see its down quite easily. Like most things, if you want it fixed right do it yourself.
That’s why I went with the upgraded adaptive LED headlight assemblies on my 2020 RAV4h; I never get flashed.

2021's you get LED's with the 302A package on the XLT, and Lariats and up. About time they put LED's on an XLT, even if it is only at the 302A level.

I get flashed all the time in my 2016 F150 XLT with halogens... never understood how such bad headlights result in me getting flashed all the time. I'm that close to pulling trigger on some Anzo Switchbacks and upgrading the bulbs... I love my truck, but this is its weakness... period.

The right solution for F150's is a pair of square "Rigid" brand Fog lights. Wire them up so they come on with the parking lights, that way they are always on when headlights (hi or lo) are on. Place them in the OEM locations.

The light they provide is absolutely perfect, and they DO NOT irritate oncoming traffic.

They really are that good.

I drove a newer F350 OTR and had to wear sunglasses at night because of how many people constantly flashed me.

When I’m in a normal car my retinas are constantly getting cooked by every single LED equipped ford truck on the road. Truly a menace to society
I was driving to a friends house last night in Santa Ynez and had a new Super Duty with the LEDs behind me. It was on highway 246 which there is one lane each way. I had a Corolla in front of me doing the speed limit and I had a healthy gap from them. Well apparently the Super Duty was offended that I wasn't speeding and was almost bump drafting me with those stupid lights on and flashing his brights at me. I was really tempted to let off and go 10 or 15mph under but he finally turned off into a grocery store. I swear those things were so bright in my mirrors I could see into the past and future at the same time.

I am satisfied with the Halogen projectors on my 2020 F-150. I usually run the fog lights along with the low beams. This helps to light the sides of the road better. The high beams are adequate. I can see farther down the road than I could in my 2017 Escape.

The right solution for F150's is a pair of square "Rigid" brand Fog lights. Wire them up so they come on with the parking lights, that way they are always on when headlights (hi or lo) are on. Place them in the OEM locations.

The light they provide is absolutely perfect, and they DO NOT irritate oncoming traffic.

They really are that good.

Which Rigid model are you talking about?

Back