Newer BMW M3 batteries cost $1900?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here ya' go, $660.00 to $950.00. Take your pick.

I doubt those have the overcharge protection circuit in them like the factory battery. We have to be VERY careful charging them, anything over 14V will trip the failsafe.

Edit: not sure the car will even charge a battery without that module plugged in and working.

Last edited:
I doubt those have the overcharge protection circuit in them like the factory battery. We have to be VERY careful charging them, anything over 14V will trip the failsafe.

Edit: not sure the car will even charge a battery without that module plugged in and working.
If you read through that entire thread, no one is reporting having those types of issues. In fact, the only real concern is low temperature starting, (which is not Lithium Ion's strong suit). In that case you would be better off going with a AGM battery, like the one's I listed in the first place.

I'm going to go way out on a limb here, and say it's a pretty safe bet there aren't many people who are going to run to a dealer, and line up to pay close to $2K for a battery to start their car.

I'm sure there are plenty of these vehicles running around with either aftermarket Lithium Ion, or AGM batteries in them, that are operating just fine.

they have an integrated BMS and advertise all over bmw forums

yes they work

If you read through that entire thread, no one is reporting having those types of issues. In fact, the only real concern is low temperature starting, (which is not Lithium Ion's strong suit). In that case you would be better off going with a AGM battery, like the one's I listed in the first place.

I'm going to go way out on a limb here, and say it's a pretty safe bet there aren't many people who are going to run to a dealer, and line up to pay close to $2K for a battery to start their car.

I'm sure there are plenty of these vehicles running around with either aftermarket Lithium Ion, or AGM batteries in them, that are operating just fine.
Considering these cars first came out in 2021, and are still under warranty, why would they have been replaced except under warranty? I have replaced one because of the overcharge issue. Lot guy boosted it from another car.

Seems to be A LOT of confusion by some in here. Roofless pretty much explained it.
1. The OP = Shows a BMW LITHIUM BATTERY
2. Lithium batteries have NOTHING in common with AGM or Flooded Cells
3. AGM and Flooded cell batteries are both lead acid, in fact most people have AGM batteries in their car and dont even know it. If its a completely sealed UNVENTED battery it is AGM. No big deal. Nothing special about AGM, both types of lead acid do their job but with a sealed battery you dont have to worry about the level falling.

BMW = The batteries DO have chips in them, even the later models with lead acid batteries. The chips inform the computer what type of battery is in the car, the cars computer then knows how to charge the battery. Weather you get a lithium battery for your BMW or a Lead Acid, for the battery to correctly charge the replacement should be one with a chip. (or possible even charge at all)
Not a big deal and honestly $1500 for a battery from a dealer, keeping in mind its lithium (and a BMW) doesnt sound out of the ball park for a high end car.
Ill get some clarification from my son if the batteries are interchangeable since they both have chips. He has two BMWs and I know he just replaced one in a 2015 that he owns and he made some mention of a chipped battery. HE works for BMW.

Here ya' go, $660.00 to $950.00. Take your pick.

"EXACT DROP-IN FITMENT: EXACT FIT FOR MOST VEHICLES"

"The Antigravity Batteries RE-START Automotive Batteries come in EXACT FIT OEM sizes for most all Performance and Passenger Cars/Trucks. We are the First Lithium-Ion Battery company to offer the most popular BCI sizes including H5/Group 47, H6/Group 48"
I’ll take Maxx for $150, Alex …

Indeed. It's like buying tires at the dealership. Who does that???
Apparently quite a few people do.I was at my Ford dealership last week and they had more tires than Discount tire on hand . Might be the Michigan roads situation also . Freeze , thaw , rain and snow all in 12 hours .

Seems to be A LOT of confusion by some in here. Roofless pretty much explained it.
3. AGM and Flooded cell batteries are both lead acid, in fact most people have AGM batteries in their car and dont even know it. If its a completely sealed UNVENTED battery it is AGM. No big deal. Nothing special about AGM, both types of lead acid do their job but with a sealed battery you dont have to worry about the level falling.

BMW = The batteries DO have chips in them, even the later models with lead acid batteries. The chips inform the computer what type of battery is in the car, the cars computer then knows how to charge the battery. Weather you get a lithium battery for your BMW or a Lead Acid, for the battery to correctly charge the replacement should be one with a chip. (or possible even charge at all)
Not a big deal and honestly $1500 for a battery from a dealer, keeping in mind its lithium (and a BMW) doesnt sound out of the ball park for a high end car.
Ill get some clarification from my son if the batteries are interchangeable since they both have chips. He has two BMWs and I know he just replaced one in a 2015 that he owns and he made some mention of a chipped battery. HE works for BMW.
All that is true. No one is denying it, or trying to say otherwise. The question is, will all 3 of these batteries, (flooded, AGM, or aftermarket Lithium Ion), work in said vehicle, and charge correctly? Or else be made to?

Again, most people are not going to relish the idea of spending $1,500.00+ on a car battery from a dealer, if they can successfully substitute it with a $200.00 AGM from Autozone.... Unless they're nuts and like to flush money down the toilet.

Sure, the flooded or AGM battery most likely won't last as long, and it will weigh more, but it costs $1,400.00 less. That buys a lot of AGM batteries.

I just replaced the original AGM battery in my Jeep Grand Cherokee after over 6 years. My local Chrysler Jeep dealership quoted me $400.00 and change for a new dealer installed AGM battery. Autozone wanted $209.00 for one with more CCA, and an equal warranty. And they even offered to help me with the install if I brought the car there. Guess which one I went with?

Again, the question is are these cars that specialized? Or will they operate properly with a battery that costs 85% less?

And don't even get me started on the 42V Lithium batteries that are liquid cooled. What a PITA to change.

Lithium definitely charges differently from AGM....
I'm curious about that. I have a lithium in my bike, had it for probably 6 years now. Never gave me grief, no signs of imminent death, even after sitting for well over 6 months untouched.

With strict CAFE requirements in the near future, don't be surprised when many more gas vehicles have a lithium starting battery.
The auto makers, or should we just say vehicle makers, can find suppliers and buy them at a fraction vs the aftermarket replacement cost.

Ford will save some weight and use it to their advantage to market the 2025 F150 as having the highest towing capability in it's class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back