newbie with GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, Hello everyone, how are you doing? So reading quite a few posts on this forum, I've decided to go out and buy some GC green and try it out myself. From this awsome site, I know that I should be looking for M05xxx or m04xxx and from a nearby wal-mart, I saw 6 bottles left. But they were labelled M05308. Is that green or gold?

Thank you

welcome.gif

Willkommen zum Dorf von den Elfen! I presume since you found GC at Wal-Mart that you live in
canada.gif
. The batch you bought is indeed gold. Use it in good health!
cheers.gif

Yes I'm from Canada and thank you very much. I remember reading one of your posts and you said Gold and Green isn't much differnet?

ED,

Are both oils still available in Germany?

The reason I ask is because in some countries in Europe the Formula SLX has just been replaced by SLX LongTec, so the original Formula SLX is no longer available.

Pete,

I am not really familiar with Castrol's PCEOs. I like their gear oils better. However, their mainstream synthetics for do-it-yourself-oil-changers are Formula RS 0w-40 and 10w-60. Many part-shops do not carry any 0w-30 Castrol oil.

The Castrol TDS-library shows both Formula SLX LongTec and Formula SLX "Neu" and other Formula SLX - types.
search results SLX

Which one is GC?

If the link above does not work, try to browse all German TDSs. The Formula SLX oils are on page 3.
TDS Page 3

I do not know if the library is up-to-date. In any case, I have not heard about "Formula RS Road and Track 5w-40" before.

ED,

That's a good question for which I don't think we've been able to find a definite answer. The VOAs we have show that LongTec has a very similar additive package to the current crop of gold GC. However, there hasn't been any analysis of all the other SLX oils currently available in Europe to verify if there possibly is a better match to the gold GC in the US.

I am quite convinced that the original Green GC was SLX and that the new Gold is SLX Longtec. Based on the timing of the appearance (and disappearance) of the oils in Europe, the relative colors (and color changes) of the oil, and based on the specs, I am quite satisfied that we know what their European equivalents are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back