New wiring harness improves light output

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bprimerano
I have a 99 Saturn SL2. I wanted to try to build a new wiring harness that would deliver more power to the headlights. I used MOSFET power transistors rather than relays that are normally used. I have not installed it yet, so I can't comment on reliability, but I did try it long enough to get some voltage readings.

Low beams
Stock 11.94 volts 47.8 watts 788 Lumens
New 13.95 volts 65.3 watts 1340 Lumens

High beams
Stock 11.76 volts 54.8 watts 1275 Lumens
New 13.60 volts 73.5 watts 2095 Lumens

Add to this the fact that the low beams stay on with the high, and visibility is greatly improved.

I cheat. I just use my dremel and modify a 9005 to fit in a 9006 socket and plug. Higher wattagea and dosen't have the tip covered so more light gets to the reflector. Much nicer low beams.
cool.gif

You know those painted tips help keep the upward scatter down? Helpful in fog and rain.

No,its more so the filament isn't visible which would cause a visible bright spot in the middle of the light blinding traffic.

But, I have projector style lights so the bright spot is covered by the reflector.

Thoughts:

Proof is in the pudding with your higher voltages, so bravo!

MOSFETs do introduce a voltage drop themselves, around 1/2 volt (.7 isn't it? or is it .4 ... I can't rmember). A well-built relay might be better suited in terms of V loss.

I didn't see a schematic, but I assume the circuit uses a reverse-biased diode across the FET to prevent damage during the power-off cycle? If not you'll want to add one for long-term reliability.

Solid-state rocks!!

M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back