New Wagner brake rotors rusted/discolored..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased 2 new premium Wagner brake rotors from Amazon.com and they are discolored and rusted a bit, also there is some type of resin on them. Tried cleaning with brake cleaner, but no help.

Is this normal for a brand new rotor, or should I return these? thanks.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
They should have lots of protective goo on them.
But no rust.
Light rust can be sanded or Naval Jellied off. Your time and grief of shipping is worth something.
But substantial rust should warrant an exchange.
In the Chicago area, it has rained almost every day for a month. My rotors [and others] look rusted every day.

Here, I would just clean them and use them as I know they will just flash rust anyway. But, I can see how you would be disappointed and I'm sure Amazon would take them back... just not sure that they next pair they send won't have the same problem.

They did not have any protective oil on them. They were dry and probably the reason why they ended up like this. It seems that there is some type of corrosion on the surface. These must have been sitting in a warehouse for MANY YEARS.

Returning them is not a problem since amazon.com offers free return shipping and these shipped free with amazon's super savor shipping. Maybe I'll stop by advanced auto to compare. I bought these at amazon.com $31 vs $49 at AAP.

And I was not planning to install until a few weeks anyway.

Last edited:
The problem is that it is not uniform rust.
Depending on how bad it is, it may not clean off properly.
You will then have pulsating brakes.

That doesn't look bad....as for the protective wax film I think you need to use a water based cosmoline remover NOT brake cleaner...

I'd use those rotors .

I wouldn't worry about the rust on the braking surface, but if there is rust on the hat, or in the fins, that would bother me big time! I bought a set of Wagner rotors for my Corvette a few years ago and they looked good out of the box and they claimed to be coated with something to prevent rust, but within 24 hours of having them put on the hats and fins started rusting very badly! They looked awful! This time around for my last brake job, I sprayed down the new rotors a few times with high temperature clear coat. After a few months and lots of rain, the hats and fins still have no rust on them! So if you do keep these Wagners, I highly suggest doing that to them before putting them on. You'll be glad you spent the $10 on the can of high temp clear!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back