"New" used - 2016 VW e-Golf SE.

So long story short - after realizing my commute is not a TDI friendly (2.5-3.1 miles each way and ~7-8k/annual) and having a multitude of issues with the panoramic roof of my 2012 TDI I ditched it. Did a few days of research on the e-Golf and liked everything I found, have a Level 2 charging station at work and can easily plop the charging cord over the patio of my condo for a slow charge so I figured - lets give this a go. The non-CARB states get the leftover lease return scraps so the below comes from I believe Connecticut, CPO so comes with a 2/24 warranty from VW and battery (8 year/100k) is still covered for another ~5 years (despite being a 2016 it was not first put into service until 1/2017) and 40k miles.

Have only had it a week so far but can say the following pros and cons.

Pros:

Handling/Ride - the low slung battery that rides under the front and back seats gives the Golf a nearly 50/50 weight distribution in a car that already handled very well at a 60/40 split. The extra weight somehow also makes it ride quite nicely compared to the outgoing Sportwagen.

Instant torque - 199 lb/ft available from 0 RPM. One of the things I hated about my TDI was the delay because the DSG had to get the clutch engaged smoothly, the e-Golf just goes. I'm sure there is some slight electronic buffer placed in there because you could probably easily light up the front tires if not. It's quite smooth too - just linear power. Imagine an electric golf cart but in car edition.

Platform - VW did an amazing job with packaging a regular gas/diesel Golf as an electric. Batteries reside under the backseat and front seats and while I can't say I have been in a gasser Golf of this generation it seems cargo capacity was not compromised. Rear seats still fold flat and the cargo area does not appear to have any battery encroachment. No squeaks or rattles, this thing is light years better than my MKV Sportwagen which was a rattlebox.

Cons:

- No cruise control on SE. When I think in percentages I only used it maybe 2% the entire time I had my TDI, still sucks for that 2% of times. If you bump to the SEL it does have cruise.

- No steering wheel controls. SE is basic and has no steering wheel controls. Back to the old school rocker switch and button on the wiper stalk to control the instrument cluster MFA, took me a minute to figure it out because VW has not used that setup since the MKIV Jetta/Golf and B5.5 Passat days.

Charging/Fuel Economy:

Still getting settled into a good pace with the car so just going to compare long term #'s from my TDI vs my 1 week with the e-Golf. Just a reminder that the e-Golf (or any electric car for that fact) is not a highway cruiser and uses a lot more energy at highway speeds than city driving, also would like to note that my TDI average has a long road trip and some longer in town highway trips mixed in where it excels offset by it being horrific in city commuting.

TDI:

Total mileage - 4,742
Average MPG - 24.2
Fuel Cost - $624.08
Gallons - 195.95
Per mile - .1316

e-Golf:

Total mileage - 88
Average MPG - ?
Charging Cost - $4.75
Per mile - .0539

Charging station cost per mile (guessing this assuming max efficiency) - .0475 or $1.90 per 40 miles.

Mind you my first week with the e-Golf it has been in the 40-50 degree range and constantly raining which is not beneficial to electric efficiency (headlights, wipers, defrost, etc.) so this first week has not been its prime moments so I am looking forward to seeing what summer months bring.

Overall:

I wish I knew what I know now back in March last year when I bought my now departed TDI as it was entirely not the right fit. The e-Golf fit my driving patterns like a glove and so far is very nice to live with and has all the amazing VW qualities that have brought me back time and time again. We have the 2011 TDI for a road trip car as needed still so not exiting the TDI fold, just diversifying our fleet. On a bright note dealer is re-selling my TDI instead of sending it to auction so maybe a more appropriate commuter will get it in their hands.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I worked for a VW dealership and my biggest complaint was VW WAS almost there in terms of range and efficiency. I never drove one as vw as a company had really weird archaic rules surrounding the electric vehicles and some hybrids. Only certain dealerships had "specialized equipment " to perform work on electric and hybrids at least a few years ago. I think you could get a prius serviced at any Toyota dealership However. They always seemed solid and like a decent deal.

Nice! I have an electric car, and enjoy it as well. That is great you can charge at work as this means your actual electric costs may be minimal. There is a free charger in town where I am where I can get free electrons.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
No cruise control in an SE? My S 5 speed even has cruise.

Unfortunately not in the e-Golf SE - just the SEL.

Originally Posted by DeafBrad
Nice! I have an electric car, and enjoy it as well. That is great you can charge at work as this means your actual electric costs may be minimal. There is a free charger in town where I am where I can get free electrons.

Have not found any free chargers near me that are not in some pay to park garage, typically .90-1.00/hour for 20 miles charge. My work garage I don't pay for access so free access +.95 per 20 miles. Kroger near me has some Level 2 chargers for .90/hour so planning on juicing up there on shopping trips as needed.

This is coincidental that you posted this. Only yesterday I was driving up I-85 through Union City and passed an E-Golf. It was the first that I'd ever seen. I initially thought of you but then I see you have a white car. I think the one I saw was silver.

I have always loved the Golf. I haven't owned a VW since they bought my TDI back in 2016. One may be on my short list of vehicles to consider in the coming year.

Wow 24 mpg in the TDI? Something had to be off there. We are doing the same commute and yearly as you in our 02 ALH and I never see less than 36. Hows the other one on fuel? I saw Target was installing chargers as well, maybe you have one close to you.

Originally Posted by Audios
Wow 24 mpg in the TDI? Something had to be off there. We are doing the same commute and yearly as you in our 02 ALH and I never see less than 36. Hows the other one on fuel? I saw Target was installing chargers as well, maybe you have one close to you.

Nothing off with the TDI as I could easily achieve the revised 37 EPA on my rare longer freeway runs. It was mainly a result of there being anywhere from 12-16 stoplights along my 2.5-3.1 mile commute and traffic. Mornings I could generally hit the 27-29 MPG because traffic is easier (10-15 mins) and can usually hit 50% green lights, afternoons are the bear (30-45 mins) and would typically see about 19-21 MPG to drag my tank averages down. Just as comparison I have done same commute in a 2020 Altima which netted me ~18 MPG and a 2018 Camry 2.5 which netted me ~18 MPG - both have pretty much equal city ratings as my TDI.

Luckily no shortage of charging stations - Georgia had an electric car boom for quite a few years until the tax credit was repealed a few years back so plenty of charging infrastructure. Fortunately Kroger near me has a level 2 charger (~20 miles range per hour plugged in) so I can always top up on grocery trips.

Very coo!!

I didn't know that model existed. I like the fact it's offered with a more basic option package.

I'm surprised by the people stating they have never seen an e-Golf. They are pretty common on the road here, along with other electric cars. Teslas are a dime a dozen.

Originally Posted by JTK
Very coo!!

I didn't know that model existed. I like the fact it's offered with a more basic option package.

Thank you!

The features content is kind of odd to be honest and seems to be EV centric or meant to more differentiate the SE and SEL. On the SE no cruise and no steering wheel controls - but has auto headlights, auto climate control (Climatronic), auto rain sensing wipers, and heated cloth seats. Base S gassers of the same era had cruise and steering wheel controls standard but I don't think you could get any of the automatic features but could get heated cloth seats.

Originally Posted by dishdude
I'm surprised by the people stating they have never seen an e-Golf. They are pretty common on the road here, along with other electric cars. Teslas are a dime a dozen.

e-Golf is only sold in CARB states (California and handful of New England states) so they are just now being seen in the wild in states beyond that now they they are coming off lease and being disbursed through the used car network. If I wanted to buy new today I would have to fly to Maryland and figure out how to to best get an electric car home 125 miles at a time - I think even the most hardened electric car owners would not go through that for a VW Golf when they could explore other automakers that sell a few miles down the road or at least within one charge.

Not sure VW thought process on only selling in CARB states but it is what it is.

The car availability was really just a tax to be allowed to sell gas cars in California. It wasn't a market they were interested in at the time, so the made and sold as few as possible.

Like Marcionni said about the electric Fiat he was forced to manufacture, I hope nobody buys one.

If it fits the OP's needs, more power to him.

Originally Posted by HangFire
The car availability was really just a tax to be allowed to sell gas cars in California. It wasn't a market they were interested in at the time, so the made and sold as few as possible.

Like Marcionni said about the electric Fiat he was forced to manufacture, I hope nobody buys one.

If it fits the OP's needs, more power to him.

Thats the part that I don't understand - the TDI dieselgate forced VWAG's hand to electrify as part of their punishment and they are jumping in the deep end with electrification. You would think they would want to sell their first electric car to all 50 states to get the kinks worked out before they go balls deep in the electric game. Oh wait - silly me, this is VW we are talking about.
lol.gif

I have been considering an e-Golf as an around town runabout. It would be perfect for going shopping. Ultimately, I haven't gotten one because my garage is big enough for only three cars and it's full. I don't want to keep another vehicle outside. The Aviator has to go to the car wash pretty much every other day and that's enough of a hassle. My street is lined by tall trees and outside parking results in tree, sap, pollen, and guano accumulation.

Originally Posted by dishdude

e-Golf is only sold in CARB states (California and handful of New England states) so they are just now being seen in the wild in states beyond that now they they are coming off lease and being disbursed through the used car network. If I wanted to buy new today I would have to fly to Maryland and figure out how to to best get an electric car home 125 miles at a time - I think even the most hardened electric car owners would not go through that for a VW Golf when they could explore other automakers that sell a few miles down the road or at least within one charge.

Not sure VW thought process on only selling in CARB states but it is what it is.
A coworker in Quebec owns a slightly newer eGolf where there are heavy incentives due to their nearly free power from hydro. He uses as run about mostly in Montreal. The challenge is when he takes a few hour ride with family in winter and the charging required between.

It is a challenging car in terms of cold as the battery does not like being charged when cold and the heater eats the range but the heated windshield and heated seats work well apparently and save precious charge.

Back