New to me Volvo S60R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a car I've always wanted! I'll post a photo of it in a bit.

-bought it with 113,000 miles
-lightly driven-- I normally cruise below speed limit if no one is following me (believe it or not) full throttle used sparingly when needed
-drive currently 95% highway miles. rarely stuck in traffic, never pull a trailer, and no mountainous regions around
-previous maintenance history unknown.
-I do notice some oil usage. Maybe 1 quart every 2000 miles

A few oil recommendations perplexed me in the owners manual and the dealership.

The car has a 5 cyl turbo, which I feel should require synthetic. The Owner's Handbook and dealer says its best not to. Which is strange because normally a dealer will try to sell you something for a bit more. The dealer adviser states other owners have had leaks at the turbo seal with synthetic.

So in the summer, above 86F, a 10w/30 is recommended, so could Rotella T (mostly used in diesel turbos) be used? and in the winter switch back to 5w/30? Is that safe?

2wrp8hf.jpg

I noticed Valvoline has a High Mileage synthetic, maybe that could be my best bet.

Last edited:
That is odd, they'd rather just replace the turbos apparently?
crazy2.gif

An HDEO would probably be the only dino I'd consider for a turbo unless intervals were crazy short, so you're on track there I think, but your other suggestion of a HM synthetic is a better one IMO. In addition to Maxlife there is Mobil 1 HM and a new Pennzoil Platinum HM.

I'm on my second V70. I've been reading Volvo posts for 15 years.
The turbos require an A3,B3 oil. I do not know where Rotella stands but Mobil1 0W-40 European Formula is the old standby. Castrol's 0W-30 European Formula is the other huge favorite.
You want oil which won't cook (or coke, Ha-ha) in the engine, particularly the turbo's bearings.

Lots of folk do use the Rotella in turbos.

What I can tell you is that the 3 crankcase breather boxes (2 family, one friend) I've removed had NO SLUDGE in them and the Mobil1 0W-40 or the Castrol 0W-30 was used exclusively. Kira

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
That is odd, they'd rather just replace the turbos apparently?
crazy2.gif

Yeah, seriously. All those class action lawsuits later, and they still have not learned anything?

Originally Posted By: 79sunrunner
So in the summer, above 86F, a 10w/30 is recommended, so could Rotella T (mostly used in diesel turbos) be used? and in the winter switch back to 5w/30? Is that safe?

Why bother with the switching? Just use M1 0w-40 or Castrol 0w-40 and run it all year long. PPE 5w-40 would be another option. All three meet some of the most stringent mfg specs such as MB 229.5, which even surpasses ACEA A3/B4.

I am under the impression Volvo has a SERIOUS internal problem with the authorship and revision of their owner's manuals.

To the OP: If your transmission is automatic (and yeah, I'm sorry I do not know whether "R"s are all manuals or available with either trannie) do at least one drain & fill to see how dirty it is.

You didn't say what year your car was but I assume it's a 2007 or earlier. Kira

Congrats on the purchase OP!

Your a much stronger man than I am as I could not handle the scary stories of Volvo repairs and costs I've seen on the internet.

In regards to oil Rotella seems very popular. I'd run it with no worries.

For transmission, make sure you swap in some good old Mobil ATF 3309. This is the most popular for any automatic Volvo post 2000.

congrats and good luck!

Originally Posted By: Kira
I am under the impression Volvo has a SERIOUS internal problem with the authorship and revision of their owner's manuals.

To the OP: If your transmission is automatic (and yeah, I'm sorry I do not know whether "R"s are all manuals or available with either trannie) do at least one drain & fill to see how dirty it is.

You didn't say what year your car was but I assume it's a 2007 or earlier. Kira

Nice car!

I'll second what Kira said. The OM is terrible. In the small print, a synthetic is recommended for severe use, as is a 40 weight.

So, to that end, the best choice for your engine is Mobil 1 0W40. I've had great UOA in essentially the same engines with both the M1 0W40 and the Pennzoil Ultra 0W40 euro SM formula.

The M1 is easy to find and reasonably priced.

Make certain that your timing belt has been replaced, and that the PCV system is functioning properly. Under pressure, this engine will develop seal leaks that are a PITA to correct.

Use only a JWS-3309 oil in the transmission if you're running an auto. Use only Pentosin CHF-11s in the PS system. ATF will fry your pump. The angle gear can use any GL-4, I recommend Mobil 1 75W90. Don't overfill it, it takes 750 ml, not fill to the drain plug level.

P2 cars also seem to need a set of lower control arm bushings every few years. Usually the arms are cheaper than the cost of bushings and labor.

Details on my oil choices:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2288158/Pennz_Ultra_Euro_5W40,_7848_mi#Post2288158

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2281431/Mobil_1_0W40,_7721_miles,_2002#Post2281431

Last edited:
If that were my car, it would absolutely see a synthetic oil. M1 HM and Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic would be good choices. M1 0w40 and GC would also be good.

I miss my 04 S60R. I used either German Castrol, M1 0W40, or Pentosin 5W40 in mine. I did oil changes every 5k miles and pretty much always used a OEM Volvo filter and crush washer.

The R car really was an awesome car. I have a complete set of OEM struts and IPD Track Spec sway bars that are taking up room in my garage that I would let go to a BITOG member for a smoking deal.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I'd run Mobil 1 0W40 European Formula all year.

+1

Mobil 1 0W40 is a great choice.

Forget all dino oils you will mess up your PCV system

Last edited:
Mobil 1 HM 10w30 and 10w40 are A3/B3 oils so if you developed leaks, that can be your go to oil.

Mobil 1 0w40 or Castrol 0w30/40 would be good as well.

My GF has a 2002 S60 with the 2.4T that used to get its oil changed with 5w-whatever at the dealer. I took over the service and it is currently on its second run of synthetic oil.. both of which weren't A3/B3 oils. I hope everything is okay mechanically.. The engine is filthy. First oil change, the filter had a few pleats sludge packed. The second one looked much better, but I am still assuming its a sludger. 3k OCIs for now since its dirty and excessively short tripped.

Next time I am going to give M1 0w40 a try.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I miss my 04 S60R.

why did you sell it?

I hit that point that I wanted a new car. A lot of things were wearing out that I didn't want to deal with on an almost 10 year old car. Plus the Volvo dealer that is next to my work was closing, so I lost the hook-up on parts and service.

Use 0w30 synthetic year-round and don't worry about using 5w30 in the winter and 10w30 in the summer. Modern synthetics don't shear enough to cause a problem.

I consider Castrol 0w30 European Formula an ideal oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back