New to me old Craftsman table saw

I don't know if you replaced any parts yet but may I suggest a Diablo blade? I have yet to bind one in a properly aligned saw regardless of motor power. Another factor could be the belt condition. If it is old it may slip more than it should.

So I been using the table saw cutting up scraps of 2x8 etc for a few days and it's built like a tank, I just wished it was a bit more powerful. Overall it's a great saw for the cost. When it does bind, the blade pretty much stops since the belt must be slipping and you get no kickback.
The 1 hp motor is more than the one I had. The belt is easy to adjust by moving the motor. Too tight is harder on the spindle bearings. Just tight enough not to slip is ideal. Saws without a guard are clearly more dangerous good to be extra watchful and not stand in front of the blade cut. Something like this today made in USA even if that exists is an expensive machine.

You didn't pretty it up before showing to us! A fine wire wheel and some wax will make it shine.

I have a couple generations newer, when they made cutouts on the (still cast iron) ends of the table, but still very heavy. I make a platform out of plywood, two rotating and two locking casters to move it about, and then the base is also storage for gloves, blade, wrench, etc. If you intend to use it on casters, those with rubber wheels skid less than others.

I had one of those or very similar Craftsman's. They are ok, but the fence I had was terrible, would never hold square when adjusted. The rest of the saw is fine. Be careful table saws are dangerous.

I had one of those or very similar Craftsman's. They are ok, but the fence I had was terrible, would never hold square when adjusted. The rest of the saw is fine. Be careful table saws are dangerous.
Interesting...apparently the crappy fence was consistent across various Craftsman models! My dad has a Craftsman saw/jointer from the 70s that I started using at a young age. I loved the saw but the fence was always a PIA to get straight!

Really? I was able to find the manual for my grandfather‘s 1950s craftsman drill press even!
Yeah when I was in school we had some old Craftsman shop equipment donated probably I’m going to guess from the 70s or 80s and we searched and searched for manuals and couldn’t find any on eBay or anything. I don’t know if they ever found any or not.

Back