New to me Chevy Cruze?

Well as many of you know we were supposed to get a 19 Jetta. We showed up yesterday to take delivery and the salesmen and the finance guy are both gone and new people are helping us we have never met. Ok no big deal. Then they offer us a 16 chevy Cruze to look at as another option. Weird…. But we were waiting anyway so might as well kill time. So we look it over . It’s cheaper with the same miles but 3 years older. It’s very clean nothing to complain about but it’s not the Jetta. My wife really wanted the Jetta. So after 2 hours of waiting we get to the finance office. Mind you on Wednesday we had already signed a lot of documents etc and were told it was a done deal. This guy starts going through the process of selling us the Cruze. So at this point we stop him and try to understand what is going on. At this point the dealership is closed he’s the only guy there. He says they couldn’t get the deal done on the Jetta because it wasn’t profitable for the dealership to sell the car to us….makes no sense. So we agreed after some not so kind words to hear him out on the Cruze. We get to the price and they want 17,999 for the Cruze the Vw was 18900 but they agreed to 16,500 on Wednesday. So I just flat out say no way. He brings the price down 1,000 more still a HARD NO from me. At this point I’m pissed off with how this whole thing has gone . It wasn’t what we were promised it was very much a bait and switch. At this point I realized we made a critical error. We gave them $4,000 to hold the Vw for us till Friday so we could finish the deal. So I say at this point I just want my 4k back and I’ll go somewhere else. He replies I can’t give that back to you tonight I don’t have cash and I can’t write a check…… I gave them 4k in cash (lesson learned). At this point I’m yelling and throwing a fit. “You need to get someone down here to give me my 4k or you better make one hell of a deal on this chevy Cruze”.
We were there till 11pm but we did get a deal. I realized this dealership threw this deal on his lap and all left and he was sitting there kind of in a bad situation. They totally screwed him around. So we got the Cruze for 13,500 which was a deal I can live with. He threw in a warranty for free and gap insurance for free. I probably don’t need gap but at least he tried to be decent. I honestly left with this feeling that I knew this car made more sense in every way over a Jetta it was even better financially. I’ve always liked the Cruze manuals they feel decent. But I was so upset with the whole situation I couldn’t even enjoy the drive home. It was such a crazy situation. At one point my son he’s 11 walks over from the sitting area where he was watching the tv and asks if things are ok because I’m yelling at this guy. I realized at that point I had to calm down but still I felt trapped and misled. Awful situation. But I got what I feel like is a decent little car at a fair price. So maybe it was worth it! I’ll add apple car play and what not to the Cruze and it’ll be fine with me. I don’t like all the nanny driving aids the VW had. The Cruze is pretty simple and just decent. So I think it worked out ok but wow what a crazy adventure to get there….. I’ll post pictures a little later by time I got home at 12:30am I just went to bed!
Thanks for reading I know it was a long one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stealership's gonna steal

Legally because you agreed to the price and partially performed the agreement by putting a payment down for it which they accepted they're legally obligated to perform their part and can be sued. Because you have signed documents you only have to prove their indisputable guilt which a lawyer would have absolutely zero trouble doing as it's a done deal case to take on. If you don't have paperwork then never mind.

I bet that cruze is a bait and switch turd that's gonna blow and the warranty they gave you is most likely worthless. Get is inspected ASAP and see about their return policy so you can dump it back. I'd still call a lawyer anyway for his opinion.

Wow what a hassle. It appears you obtained a super deal on the Cruze because I believe KBB value would be quite higher. The Cruze cost $13,500 or $13,500 plus the $4000.00 you already paid with cash? I am a little confused. :unsure: It seems odd the salesman couldn't have access to $4000.00 to give back to you in case you wanted to walk away. It sounds shakier than a Shakey's Pizza.

Wheelman, Sorry to hear about your experience. I second the opinion of getting a thorough inspection by a well qualified third party. Also you may want to give your state attorney general a call as well as the BBB and let them know about your experience.

Good Luck with the Cruze.

I used to be a mechanic so I looked it over pretty well. I’m a service advisor now so I’ll get it on a lift at work next week for sure. They’re are the biggest dealership in our area I’ve bought from them in the past (other stores) and had a great experience so this was totally crazy.
I paid 13,500 total for the car I had given them 4k to hold the Jetta. My intention was to put. 10k down total and finance the rest. With the Cruze I put 8k down and financed the rest kept the other money in my pocket just in case. On principle I should have walked but I realized it was a very decent car that made sense. I also work a ton and didn’t have the time to keep looking nor did I want to make the time. It all worked out I got a decent deal on a clean low mileage car but holy crap the process was a mess!

I used to be a mechanic so I looked it over pretty well. I’m a service advisor now so I’ll get it on a lift at work next week for sure. They’re are the biggest dealership in our area I’ve bought from them in the past (other stores) and had a great experience so this was totally crazy.
I paid 13,500 total for the car I had given them 4k to hold the Jetta. My intention was to put. 10k down total and finance the rest. With the Cruze I put 8k down and financed the rest kept the other money in my pocket just in case. On principle I should have walked but I realized it was a very decent car that made sense. I also work a ton and didn’t have the time to keep looking nor did I want to make the time. It all worked out I got a decent deal on a clean low mileage car but holy crap the process was a mess!
Mileage, service history, trans type?

Well as many of you know we were supposed to get a 19 Jetta. We showed up yesterday to take delivery and the salesmen and the finance guy are both gone and new people are helping us we have never met. Ok no big deal. Then they offer us a 16 chevy Cruze to look at as another option. Weird…. But we were waiting anyway so might as well kill time. So we look it over . It’s cheaper with the same miles but 3 years older. It’s very clean nothing to complain about but it’s not the Jetta. My wife really wanted the Jetta. So after 2 hours of waiting we get to the finance office. Mind you on Wednesday we had already signed a lot of documents etc and were told it was a done deal. This guy starts going through the process of selling us the Cruze. So at this point we stop him and try to understand what is going on. At this point the dealership is closed he’s the only guy there. He says they couldn’t get the deal done on the Jetta because it wasn’t profitable for the dealership to sell the car to us….makes no sense. So we agreed after some not so kind words to hear him out on the Cruze. We get to the price and they want 17,999 for the Cruze the Vw was 18900 but they agreed to 16,500 on Wednesday. So I just flat out say no way. He brings the price down 1,000 more still a HARD NO from me. At this point I’m pissed off with how this whole thing has gone . It wasn’t what we were promised it was very much a bait and switch. At this point I realized we made a critical error. We gave them $4,000 to hold the Vw for us till Friday so we could finish the deal. So I say at this point I just want my 4k back and I’ll go somewhere else. He replies I can’t give that back to you tonight I don’t have cash and I can’t write a check…… I gave them 4k in cash (lesson learned). At this point I’m yelling and throwing a fit. “You need to get someone down here to give me my 4k or you better make one hell of a deal on this chevy Cruze”.
We were there till 11pm but we did get a deal. I realized this dealership threw this deal on his lap and all left and he was sitting there kind of in a bad situation. They totally screwed him around. So we got the Cruze for 13,500 which was a deal I can live with. He threw in a warranty for free and gap insurance for free. I probably don’t need gap but at least he tried to be decent. I honestly left with this feeling that I knew this car made more sense in every way over a Jetta it was even better financially. I’ve always liked the Cruze manuals they feel decent. But I was so upset with the whole situation I couldn’t even enjoy the drive home. It was such a crazy situation. At one point my son he’s 11 walks over from the sitting area where he was watching the tv and asks if things are ok because I’m yelling at this guy. I realized at that point I had to calm down but still I felt trapped and misled. Awful situation. But I got what I feel like is a decent little car at a fair price. So maybe it was worth it! I’ll add apple car play and what not to the Cruze and it’ll be fine with me. I don’t like all the nanny driving aids the VW had. The Cruze is pretty simple and just decent. So I think it worked out ok but wow what a crazy adventure to get there….. I’ll post pictures a little later by time I got home at 12:30am I just went to bed!
Thanks for reading I know it was a long one.
Now you know why the other finance guy is gone.

So you financed $5,500, its that what I'm understanding? If that's the case then not too bad. I don't know enough about those cars, are they reliable? What are the specs, like mileage, maintenance history, etc? I personally would have walked away and kept driving the Dart until you found something else, but I guess you felt rushed. How much did they give you for the Dart? I hope it all works out in the end.

So you financed $5,500, its that what I'm understanding? If that's the case then not too bad. I don't know enough about those cars, are they reliable? What are the specs, like mileage, maintenance history, etc? I personally would have walked away and kept driving the Dart until you found something else, but I guess you felt rushed. How much did they give you for the Dart? I hope it all works out in the end.
I sold the dart outright. 30k miles actually have a whole bunch of maintenance records in the glove box . It’s been cared for. They are decently reliable, easy to work on to. Which is nice.

I bet that cruze is a bait and switch turd that's gonna blow and the warranty they gave you is most likely worthless. Get is inspected ASAP and see about their return policy so you can dump it back. I'd still call a lawyer anyway for his opinion.

Man, doing your best to make him feel a little better. How much will a lawyer cost, they aren't going to get $50k pain and suffering out of the dealer for this so their fee comes out of your pocket.

If the Cruze was a smoking deal and you have any reason to question it now is the time to call Carvana and make a profit and move on.

NO WAY would I have bought that car or any car from those crooks.

With OP in a pinch for time and patience (all dealerships play this game), they knew they could pressure him into the Cruz.
Not to mention the current climate for used cars.

OP, congrats on the car but please stay on top of OCI's as I think your car has the 1.4 turbo.
They are decent on reliability, but only when you maintain them.

Man, doing your best to make him feel a little better. How much will a lawyer cost, they aren't going to get $50k pain and suffering out of the dealer for this so their fee comes out of your pocket.

If the Cruze was a smoking deal and you have any reason to question it now is the time to call Carvana and make a profit and move on.

NO WAY would I have bought that car or any car from those crooks.
In cases like these the dealer pays the lawyer fees and there could be a restitution as this is a material breech of agreement instead of a minor one which usually doesn't include a settlement for damages. First you give info and documents so the lawyer can decide but it's best to do this without negotiating a new deal as then the old terms become nullified through appeasement with a new deal. But it can be undone in some cases. A car lawyer would have no issue with this case unless the dealer makes a strong case for commercial impracticability as an excuse to rule an impossibility of performance which most judges don't fall for it since they know dealers lie. It's pretty cut and dry all things considered. Also if the dealer is suspicious and scammy enough to do this it isn't crazy to think they're trying to pull something as well. I'd look into returning the car or getting an appraisal from somewhere else with or without a trade in.

Man, I'm piss*d just reading that. Can't imagine being there. Sorry this happened to you guys but I would have walked away. The pit in my stomach wouldn't allow me to go thorough with it. Any little issue moving forward would have me saying, " I knew I shouldn't...".

I wish you many years and hundreds of thousands of miles of safe reliable motoring.

Last edited:
Man, I'm piss*d just reading that. Can't imagine being there. Sorry this happened to you guys but I would have walked away. The pit in my stomach wouldn't allow me to go thorough with it. Any little issue moving forward would have me saying, " I knew I shouldn't...".

I wish you many years and hundreds of thousands of miles of safe reliable motoring.

I felt exactly this way and I actually walked outside and looked at it and knew the car was decent very decent actually. I also knew it met my needs and would do exactly what I needed to do. Younger me would have walked away but as awful and crooked as the situation was it was a moment of cut my nose off to spite my face. The deal ended up being decent the car is very clean just the way they went about it was awful!!

The engine is the 1.8 less to go wrong but a little less fun. It’s not a bad little car to drive around though. Very easy to drive.

Back