New tires and snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I run. 5 tire rotation every 6,000 miles. Bought in January of 2009. Been very good to me. Nokian WR G2 SUV. Jim

tyre

I put Goodyear Allegra's on our 2003 Impala and they are excellent handling tires. They have great traction on snow and ice. You have to buy them either at Sam's or Wal-mart. Sams Club also offers a 75,000 mile limited tread life warranty.
reviews.htm

Those Allegras look really decent for snow traction! 2 full depth wavy sipes on each tread block. I'd consider getting those in a heart beat, but they're only available in certain locations at Sams and Walmart.
frown.gif

If you're looking for all season tires that are capable in snow, you want the tread design to look similar to this:

http://john1701a.com/prius/photos/PriusTire_Allegra_20729miles_DriverFront.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shadrap65
I put Goodyear Allegra's on our 2003 Impala and they are excellent handling tires. They have great traction on snow and ice. You have to buy them either at Sam's or Wal-mart. Sams Club also offers a 75,000 mile limited tread life warranty.
reviews.htm

Snow maybe, ice not. You'll still slip and slide and lose traction when your all-season rubber hardened at temperatures
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLperYq2_98&feature=fvw

And this one has been in Seattle King 5 news a couple of years ago. Watch as there's a Subaru AWD wagon tempted fate (and lost):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dooKpdIwwR4&feature=related

Say it anyway you like it but snow tire is the only way to go if life matters to you or your passengers.

Q
19.gif

+1.

Any all season with decent tread left would likely be OK in snow, as long as the driver doesn't drive like it's July.

Ice is another matter. That's when a dedicated winter tire (preferably one geared toward ice traction) is worth it's weight in gold (or it's weight in your insurance deductible).

Those videos were something else. In the first one, the woman who bailed out of her car - [censored]? In the second one, what the heck was the guy in the first car doing?

Last edited:
Just the other day (about 3 days ago): a 92 yr old woman (passenger) died in a 4WD Ford pickup rollover on the isle due to black ice; a week ago: a couple more SUV rollovers on the hiway about 2 hrs east of us, all due to blackice.

Funny how avg joe drivers have that false sense of security when it comes to snow/icey winter driving and insisted that 4WD/SUV are the best in all kinds of weather. they are usually the ones that would shift into 4WD mode and then whizzed by us on the fast lane on hiways during winter snow storm (and failed to negatiate a corner further down the road).

Q.

A snow tire test by Car & Driver last month demonstrated that even a high performance all season tire (the Michelin Pilot A/S Plus) out-performed a snow tire on COLD DRY (23*F) and COLD WET (23*F) pavement. The snow tires indeed did a much better job on actual snow and ice, but actually performed worse on dry, even on cold surfaces.

So it's still a tradeoff. Do you live where it snows a lot, but the roads are still plowed pretty quickly? If so, an all season tire may still be your best choice.

I've always liked the look of those Allegras (they look to be excellent all weather tires), and the tread is nice and soft as well. I'll bet they ride good and quiet. But it seems that they've been replaced by the Goodyear Assurance Touring (at Sam's Club). My local Sam's no longer carries the Allegra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back