New system build, what you you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at building a new system. Mine is close to 10 yrs old and not worth upgrading. Figure if I built something may as well make it last. Thought about getting a serious laptop and just docking it but for the cost this is way cheaper.

Found most of this on Amazon for the same price and prime.

So what do you computer guru's think? I don't game so no need for a better GPU.

Corsair Carbide Series 200R Black Steel / Plastic compact ATX Mid Tower Case
Item #: N82E16811139018
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$5.00 Instant
$10.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
$69.99
$64.99
1 XFX TS Series P1550SXXB9 550W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Bronze Certified Active PFC Power Supply XFX TS Series P1550SXXB9 550W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Bronze Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Item #: N82E16817207013
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$28.00 Instant
$25.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
$89.99
$61.99
1 ASUS H97M-E/CSM LGA 1150 Intel H97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard ASUS H97M-E/CSM LGA 1150 Intel H97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813132120
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$10.75 Instant
$104.99
$94.24
1 Intel Core i5-4590 Haswell Quad-Core 3.3 GHz LGA 1150 84W BX80646I54590 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600 Intel Core i5-4590 Haswell Quad-Core 3.3 GHz LGA 1150 84W BX80646I54590 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600
Item #: N82E16819116991
Return Policy: Replacement Only Return Policy $199.99
1 CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10R CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10R
Item #: N82E16820233310
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy $84.99
1 SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5 SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E500B/AM
Item #: N82E16820147373
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$20.00 Instant
$199.99
$179.99
1 ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
Item #: N82E16827135204

We have a Comp USA about 65 miles from me. I guess I could call them, but Newegg I don't pay tax.

This will be for surfing, photo/video editing and some light office work. It is probably overkill but plan on keeping it a long time as I have my old machine.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: Rat407
video editing

What program?

Photoshop, not sure what version right off hand but it is older so might not work with W10

What OS are you going to be running on this machine? I assume Linux since you didn't put a price for an operating system. Windows 10 I think run about $100.

I have an EVO 850 250GB SSD and I dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu.

I would drop to a 250GB SSD and get a 3TB hard drive for storage of documents, videos, music, etc.

SSDs are great, but you'll only notice their raw speed on boot and shutdown. An HDD is a better cost effective solution for data storage.

Originally Posted By: stchman
SSDs are great, but you'll only notice their raw speed on boot and shutdown.

Incorrect.

SSDs are great, but you'll only notice their raw speed on boot and shutdown.

Incorrect.

Being that I have an SSD on all my machines, I would say that my opinion has merit.

If you put the OS and apps on the SSD and your personal files(music, video, pics, documents) on an HDD, your Excel spreadsheet or Word document won't load any faster.

I love SSDs, but their cost per GB is still far higher than an HDD. For simple storage of personal files, an HDD is a very cost effective option.

My main rig has a 250GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD and a Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD. I have well over 500GB of music, videos, pics, and other assorted stuff on the HDD alone.

If you put the OS and apps on the SSD and your personal files(music, video, pics, documents) on an HDD, your Excel spreadsheet or Word document won't load any faster.

You originally spoke in absolutes, and are now pivoting with Excel/Word performance -- you're moving the goalposts; special pleading does not make for a convincing opinion.

However, I'll play...
yykaQfn.png

You originally spoke in absolutes, and are now pivoting with Excel/Word performance -- you're moving the goalposts; special pleading does not make for a convincing opinion.

However, I'll play...
yykaQfn.png

I did say that the OS and APPS were on the SSD, I spoke of using an HDD only for storing of one's personal files(video, pictures, office docs, etc.). I am not saying SSDs are not fast, on the contrary, I think SSDs absolutely smoke HDDs, reason I own quite a few of them. I still maintain that once the OS is loaded, a person isn't going to notice an SSD making their YouTube surfing any faster, won't make their videos render faster as these are more functions of CPU and RAM.

The OP did say that they were going to do video editing. If you've ever done video editing, you know that 500GB isn't much space.

The OP can do what he/she wishes, I merely suggested a more cost effective solution that will provide fast loading AND lots of storage space. It is ultimately up the OP what they want and can afford.

I do realize that the OP can add an HDD at any time, it was merely a suggestion.

If you took offense to my suggestions for the OP, I truly don't care.

I did say that the OS and APPS were on the SSD, I spoke of using an HDD only for storing of one's personal files(video, pictures, office docs, etc.).

Even when comparing a 10k VelociRaptor to an ancient SSD, that's incorrect.

qRJMMN4.png

I have no issue with you recommending anything. However, when it's supported with patently false information, it needs to be addressed.

I did say that the OS and APPS were on the SSD, I spoke of using an HDD only for storing of one's personal files(video, pictures, office docs, etc.).

Even when comparing a 10k VelociRaptor to an ancient SSD, that's incorrect.

qRJMMN4.png

I have no issue with you recommending anything. However, when it's supported with patently false information, it needs to be addressed.

I said the OP isn't going to NOTICE a difference, highly unlikely the OP will be timing all apps with a stopwatch.

I did also say that the APPLICATIONS(Office, Visio, Adobe, etc.) would be on the SSD so loading apps will also benefit from the SSD's speed. I in no way recommended that the OP store his applications on an HDD. People LOVE to make assumptions.

Do you have any timing charts to tell the difference in an app loading from an SSD and that apps data file on an HDD? You seem to be full of timing charts among other things.

So if the OS and apps are on the SSD and the data files(.xls, .doc, .mpg, .avi, .mp3, etc.) are on a large 7200RPM HDD, do you REALLY think the OP will visibly notice a speed difference in their new PC?

NO they won't.

I said the OP isn't going to NOTICE a difference, highly unlikely the OP will be timing all apps with a stopwatch.

At first you said: "SSDs are great, but you'll only notice their raw speed on boot and shutdown"
Then, it was: "your Excel spreadsheet or Word document won't load any faster"
Now, it's: "I said the OP isn't going to NOTICE a difference, highly unlikely the OP will be timing all apps with a stopwatch."

That's three different positions, and three attempts at moving the goalposts.

You seem to be full of timing charts among other things.

Rational arguments are constructed on objective data, not conjecture or anecdotal observations. If you can present any evidence to support your position, it would certainly be welcome.

Do you have any timing charts to tell the difference in an app loading from an SSD and that apps data file on an HDD?

I would invite you to search Google yourself and you'll be able to quickly find a plethora of charts and objective evaluation that will cover this question.

So if the OS and apps are on the SSD and the data files(.xls, .doc, .mpg, .avi, .mp3, etc.) are on a large 7200RPM HDD, do you REALLY think the OP will visibly notice a speed difference in their new PC?

NO they won't.

Of course they will. IOMeter demonstrates this across the spectrum of file server workloads -- SSD dominates in transaction rate and response time.

if you're going to nitpick, talk about the 16gb of ram.
That's really the thing you guys can debate over

Startup and shutdown are faster, that by itself is enough to have sold the guy. Apps will be faster, but he's already bought into it, so a moot point.

Last edited:
Too much power supply, so save some money. Corsair builder series 430 is all you need. The modular one is a tad more, but has a rebate, so you might want to get that one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...9-026-_-Product

Save some money on the memory too, and 2x8 gb is fine. G.Skill Ripjaws http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231568&ignorebbr=1

I built my son a computer in December of last year with the very same Asus motherboard. It's been working great. But if you want to save some money a motherboard with an Intel B85 chipset is a lot of bang for the buck. Lots to pick from in that range.

Last edited:

Absolutely.

Anything that deals with files requires indexing directories and indexing directories is limited by seek time not transfer rate. The SSD will absolutely provide a faster and more responsive day to day user experience.

Rat407, that looks like a nice system build. Sure the PSU might be a whisker larger than you need so by going to a smaller unit you'll ultimately get better efficiency numbers, but that's splitting hairs.

Thanks for all the help. I can see I might be able to save on the memory if I look around a little more like posted above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back