New Super A-10 Warthog

Hadn’t seen anything about this in Aviation Week.

Slow speed, low altitude stealth?

Negates much of the stealth advantage.

I’m left looking at this airplane wondering what it does better than an A-10.

And how much it costs to get that sliver of performance improvement.

I see two supposed different designs here and no real flying video of either design, only the A-10 updates.

I don't get it. The intro image (with a representation of what it might look like) has nothing to do with the contents. The contents seem to be about upgrades to the existing A-10 fleet without a new look version.

What a bunch of clickbait! Total fantasy photo lead in. A bunch of guessing in the video with stock A-10 footage.

Look, USAF has just finished putting new wings on about 175 A-10s. With that kind of investment in service life, I would expect the airplane to stick around for a few more years. Cockpit and weapon system upgrades have been ongoing through the airplane’s service life to date. I would expect that to continue as well.

What a bunch of clickbait! Total fantasy photo lead in. A bunch of guessing in the video with stock A-10 footage.

Look, USAF has just finished putting new wings on about 175 A-10s. With that kind of investment in service life, I would expect the airplane to stick around for a few more years. Cockpit and weapon system upgrades have been ongoing through the airplane’s service life to date. I would expect that to continue as well.
They sure saved my A** a few times!
And so did the Tomcats!
Astro, where are you at in these pics? ;)

Last edited:
our su-25s got slapped out of the sky in days. the muscovites have lost almost a dozen in just a couple weeks of fighting.

even with precision guided weapons and launch warnings that 25 lacks you can tell its time is up

My problem was when looking at both clickbait images, was the impingement of high velocity exhaust gasses on a V-tail. If one engine fails I would think there would be some major yawing and or pitching going on, but flight control software could possibly take care of that.

Both could well be mockups but the bottom image seems to make more sense in terms of a partial lifting body and there is an integrated wing/body/engine for protection by titanium shields.

I despise these clickbait videos where they imply a topic at the still, and then when you get into the video it isn't so.

Has anyone else noticed this? In the top photo this mockup or whatever it is has not only has a V-tail but a horizontal stabilizer as well.

In the bottom photo this mockup or whatever it is has only a V-tail and no horizontal stabilizer.

In the top photo the craft appears to have a conventional A-10 trapezoidal wing with no sweepback.

In the bottom photo the craft appears to have a sweptback wing.

JMHO, but for fast diving capability and low-level attack, give me a trapezoidal wing with a fast-acting spoiler or air brake and a high thrust engine to get me out of Dodge and on to Abilene to chew up the next group of ground armor and troop emplacements.

Last edited:
My problem was when looking at both clickbait images, was the impingement of high velocity exhaust gasses on a V-tail. If one engine fails I would think there would be some major yawing and or pitching going on, but flight control software could possibly take care of that.

Both could well be mockups but the bottom image seems to make more sense in terms of a partial lifting body and there is an integrated wing/body/engine for protection by titanium shields.

I despise these clickbait videos where they imply a topic at the still, and then when you get into the video it isn't so.

I did not even click. You can see from the image it is photoshop.

A-10.jpg

Back