New SUBARU Genuine oil filter cut open ...

I don't think the guy understands that the larger the bypass valve, the stiffer the spring needs to be in order to obtain the target bypass opening PSI setting. And he thinks he can determine the filtering ability and the best OCI for it based on a visual look at the media, lol. The standard "analysis by looks" type YT video.

...... The standard "analysis by looks" type YT video.
Imo, if one must watch this dude's dissections at all, best to shut off (or ignore) the commentary and just observe the filter construction. His "evaluation", such as it is, almost completely subjective, opinion based. As for bypass, same dude that said the bypass psi, rated in foot/lbs. ;) Pushing a pen on the bypass valve doesn't prove one way or the other what the bypass psi is. The fact that it's OEM, means it's made to Subaru specs including bypass psi. He seems aware that Subaru is known to have higher bypass psi, so he's using confirmation bias with to agree.

Also of note, second vid where he able to get the bypass valve to apparently stick open when pushes it with a pen in an odd off set manner. That's the same as he did with a Purolater filter posted recently and found the same. Imo, in real world bypass use that would not happen. So, I dismiss the bypass observation for both. Fwiw, I think the latter video posted more informative and much less subjective in content than topic.

Back