New STP S11784XL cartridge filter

There isn’t much info out there about this filter, so here are some pics. This filter fits VW ea888 gen 3 engines. The filter looks well built, it has metal screen backing, the media looks like synthetic fiber. Made in china, not sure who the manufacturer is.
67E9E129-534A-4197-99DE-94BDA0EB95EC.jpeg8BD6EB02-F612-4488-BEF8-234572B7A5C3.jpeg82CE7AA6-58E9-49E5-B9F0-681E86537472.jpegA4FA1EF7-228D-4E4D-94F6-46EAC125E5F8.jpeg72B2830C-C7D8-4A8F-AEBF-4D533983E58E.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks great. It does look like synthetic colored media closer to what color some of the newer 15k mile rated ones look like. Do you plan to use it?

Looks great. It does look like synthetic colored media closer to what color some of the newer 15k mile rated ones look like. Do you plan to use it?
Yes, I will use it for my next oil change. I am impressed with the build quality. I like cartridge filters as they allow you to inspect the filter element before installing.
Rock Auto doesn't show the seam, but it looks similar to the Champ XL that fits your car.
It does seem to be identical. Even has the "XL" in the part number.

Last edited:
Yes, I will use it for my next oil change. I am impressed with the build quality. I like cartridge filters as they allow you to inspect the filter element before installing.

It does seem to be identical. Evan has the "XL" in the part number.
For the spin-ons I've seen STP XLs can either be made by Premium Guard or Champion, typically the XL filter would be cellulose, but this isn't the first time I've seen a wire-backed microglass media Champion made cartidge in an STP box, I think it was 53' Stude who got one in a basic tier STP box a few month ago.
The Fram FE11784 looks identical as well:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/FRAM-Syn...or-Synthetic-Oils-Fits-Audi-and-VW/1966128812

The stock photo that Autozone shows for either the S11784 and S11784XL look the same and they both look like Mann filters and it appears looking on Rock Auto that Champion makes nothing but a wire-backed filter for this application.

The stock photo that Autozone shows for either the S11784 and S11784XL look the same and they both look like Mann filters and it appears looking on Rock Auto that Champion makes nothing but a wire-backed filter for this application.
Yeah, this is the filter that came with the current Mobil 1 oil change special from Autozone. I was expecting a Mann or similar cellulose type filter. What came is a pleasant surprise IMO.

Looking at Fram’s oil filter search, this appears to be the same filter they offer as their “Fram Synthetic Endurance“ line.

Looking at Fram’s oil filter search, this appears to be the same filter they offer as their “Fram Synthetic Endurance“ line.
Is the Fram Endurance for this application made in China? If not, the I'd say it's not the same filter. Jusy looks the same.

Back