New serpentine belt, Is it ok?

I remember the factory drivebelt on my Scion (Camry engine) was stitched together! I mean where the belt comes together to form a continuous belt! Over time that stitching was pulling apart, wow.. Looks like something that would've been made in the last century! Most of the modern belts are fused together, blew my mind that Toyota was using (car was made in Japan) something that old school! 😳

Aftermarket Bando belts are made in Asia while the OEM Bando belts are made in USA. Mine was made in Indonesia.

A lot of belts are made in Thailand over the years, the reason is simple, it is cheaper to manufacture the belt where the natural resources are than ship them and make them somewhere else. If it is made in USA I guarantee the rubber used is not from an American rubber tree.
The belts are vulcanized together the top layer is held in place with a few stitches to hold it all tight during the process. Are there any stitches going through to the reverse side?

A lot of belts are made in Thailand over the years, the reason is simple, it is cheaper to manufacture the belt where the natural resources are than ship them and make them somewhere else. If it is made in USA I guarantee the rubber used is not from an American rubber tree.
The belts are vulcanized together the top layer is held in place with a few stitches to hold it all tight during the process. Are there any stitches going through to the reverse side?
No the stitches on the factory Toyota belt didn't go all the way through. Went about half way through the top layer. But thanks for explaining what I was seeing. The Gates I use now is vulcanized together with no stitches.

Regular parts store Gates anything suck. Gates Unitta are the good belts
Last year I had a Gates hydraulic timing belt tensioner fail (causing the belt to rattle against the timing belt covers) in only 6 months. Took it off and the piston was completely stiff/locked up. Replaced with Honda OEM from the dealer parts counter.

I also accidentally ordered two serpentine belt tensioners from Amazon recently, one Gates and one Michelin. Michelin now offers tensioners with their name on it that are actually manufactured by Steigentech. Both tensioners arrived at the same time, so I decided I would return whichever one seemed to be lower quality, which I assumed would be the Michelin.

Nope. The Gates, which was made in Canada (which sounded promising) had terrible quality casting with lots of flash, and the bearing inside of the pulley had all kinds of free-play and felt super cheap. The Michelin tensioner had superior casting quality and the bearing in the pulley felt nice and didn't have that rattling type play back and forth. The plastic pulleys themselves even side by side were noticably different with the Michelin looking a lot nicer. So the Gates promptly got sent back. The two tensioners were comparable in price, too.

I'm pretty much done with Gates.

I have a Bando Belt that I will be installing as soon as Mother Nature warms up.

My bando belt for a 2013 Tacoma 4.0 lt. was made in the U.S. A.

I bought it a couple of years back to carry as a spare, now it will be used as my replacement, I'll purchase another belt to carry as a spare.

TOM B

send it. most anything with thread in it will have an edge where the thread sticks out, although usually it doesn't stick out that far. my little brother got stiches once and they left way more loose threads poking out then there are on that belt.

i like dayco belts because they're usually cheap and i recognize the name

Unfortunately today was the 31 st day since I bought it, Rockauto doesn't accept the return, so I am planning to get a new one.
If that’s the case I’d snip it as close as is practical, maybe using a sharp razor blade, and put it in service. Keep the old belt in the truck as a backup. I would t waste good money on a replacement over a thread. Just watch it!

Last year I had a Gates hydraulic timing belt tensioner fail (causing the belt to rattle against the timing belt covers) in only 6 months. Took it off and the piston was completely stiff/locked up. Replaced with Honda OEM from the dealer parts counter.

I also accidentally ordered two serpentine belt tensioners from Amazon recently, one Gates and one Michelin. Michelin now offers tensioners with their name on it that are actually manufactured by Steigentech. Both tensioners arrived at the same time, so I decided I would return whichever one seemed to be lower quality, which I assumed would be the Michelin.

Nope. The Gates, which was made in Canada (which sounded promising) had terrible quality casting with lots of flash, and the bearing inside of the pulley had all kinds of free-play and felt super cheap. The Michelin tensioner had superior casting quality and the bearing in the pulley felt nice and didn't have that rattling type play back and forth. The plastic pulleys themselves even side by side were noticably different with the Michelin looking a lot nicer. So the Gates promptly got sent back. The two tensioners were comparable in price, too.

I'm pretty much done with Gates.
that gates was a littens. almost guaranteed to be an oe part

I have never seen external stitching on a serpentine belt. All of the cords are inside the structure of the belt. Personally I would not use that one. Did you buy it on Rock Auto clearance / liquidation / NOS?
Bando is OEM belt for several manufacturers, they are/were good quality for the price but not the best.

I have never seen external stitching on a serpentine belt. All of the cords are inside the structure of the belt. Personally I would not use that one. Did you buy it on Rock Auto clearance / liquidation / NOS?
Bando is OEM belt for several manufacturers, they are/were good quality for the price but not the best.
No I paid the full regular price for the belt.

No the stitches on the factory Toyota belt didn't go all the way through. Went about half way through the top layer. But thanks for explaining what I was seeing. The Gates I use now is vulcanized together with no stitches.

I wouldn't worry about those stitches.... My 07 Camry 2AZ-FE is still rocking the original belt approaching 300,000 miles. I posted a picture of how the belt looks a while back.

Back