New Rotella

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone seen the updated Rotella site at Shell? Now they have T5 and T6 Rotella. The T5 seems to be 10w-40, I believe. Is the T6 just the same old 5w-40 with a new name and a new bottle? I can't seem to find the product data sheets anywhere anymore.
54.gif

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?site...ducts_home.html

So...
Dino 15W-40 ("T3"? Triple Protection???)
Syn-blend 10W-40 "T5"
Full syn 5W-40 "T6"

Was T4 spilled on the floor of the lab and mopped up & discarded by mistake???

Shell Lubricants has unveiled its revamped Shell Rotella® product portfolio, which is part of a bold initiative in brand positioning and marketing strategy for the leading brand of heavy duty engine oil in the United States. This portfolio features a new synthetic blend engine oil, Shell Rotella® T5 and a new formula for its full synthetic engine oil, Shell Rotella® T6.

Shell Rotella® T5 Synthetic Blend Technology is designed to provide extended-drain capability, enhanced engine cleanliness, and excellent wear protection. Shell Lubricants is one of the first companies to offer synthetic blend SAE 10W-30 and SAE 10W-40 viscosity grade products that meet some of the most stringent heavy duty engine oil specifications globally, such as API CJ-4, ACEA E9 and Volvo VDS-4.

Shell Rotella® T6 delivers 34 percent better wear performance on average compared to the previous API CI-4 PLUS 5W-40 formulation. In seven out of seven industry-standard, diesel-engine wear test measurements, Shell Rotella® T6 outperformed the previous formulation.

http://www.imakenews.com/lubritec/e_article001552204.cfm?x=b11,0,w

Outside the US they sell Rimula HDEOs. R1 thru R6.
15W40 CJ4/E9 is R4 L (L = low emission)
10W40 synthetic (blend?) is R6 M and R6 LM (M = long drain)
R6 LM meets ACEA E6 which is 0.3% S, 800ppm P, 1.0% ash; Shell claims it offers better protection than R6 M which is at least 1.8% ash, unlimited S and P (I'd guess 12-1300ppm)
R5 M 10W40 is like R6 M, except it's only for MB 228.5/MAN 3277, doesn't meet Mack EO-M+.
So you can see their North American and rest-of-the-world oils are totally different.
It seems to me they could sell R6 LM in the US if they could get it to pass CJ4, since it makes emission equipment last longer, more than even CJ4. It already meets CI4.

Charlie

It's nice to see an upgrade to thier already good diesel oils. I'm just curius what type of price increase,we will see to thier 5W-40? If the new version is within the same price range as the previous version... I just might switch..

They say and a new formula for its full synthetic engine oil, Shell Rotella® T6."

Would'nt that mean it is NOT the same as the old Blue Bottle?

If the 5W-40 T6 is using the Pennzoil Adaptive Molecules, and that graph that's floating around showing the low shear rate of the 5W-40 is accurate, then it's gotta be a new formula. I just hope the price doesn't go up.

Anyone seen any of these oils in stores? I haven't. Just standard triple protection, and old bottle rts.

I can't wait til I start seeing it on the shelves. This oil is more up my alley, since I run it in a Ford 5.0 EFI truck, anyways. I like how it will be thinner.

looked at a nearby walmart today. no new rotella but there were two empty rows next to the current formula. maybe something is on the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back