New rear struts - passenger side hollow clunk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

got some new rear struts installed about 1000 miles ago because the original driver side was leaking and made a hollow clunking sound when I drove over manholes.
never went to a scrapyard before and I scrapped both of the originals and only got 2 dollars
15.gif
the passenger side was still pretty tight and could have been reused.

So now the passenger side is making the same hollow clunking noise over manholes.

To describe, if I drive over a manhole on the driver side, its normal. No noise.

When I drive over a manhole on the passenger side it makes a hollow clunk. The car acts the same way though (no jumping)

Its not leaking and when I checked both sides by pushing and pulling on the car, they behave the same way and theres no jumping.

being aftermarket china stuff they don't make a hissing noise when I push down like the old ones used to.

I know I'm gonna get flamed for not buying good quality parts (the assembly was from ebay), but it seems that the assembly is okay. There was some white residue on the passenger side, but it probably came from a puddle because the shocks are bone dry.

Could it be: the stablizer links? Theres a little play on the driver side, and a lot on the passenger side. Basically no grease left and its one of those sealed "lifetime" links. Easy 25 dollar fix.

OR
could it be the bearings?

OR
and I hope its not, the shock assembly?

I don't have a huge budget and I know gabriels are on sale, but I just don't have that kind of money

The assembly is from Unity Automotive which has pretty good reviews on Amazon.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated

Originally Posted By: THafeez
being aftermarket china stuff they don't make a hissing noise when I push down like the old ones used to.

What does one have to do with the other?

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Sounds like the struts were not properly aligned with the upper mounts. Pretty common on that Camry/Solara/Avalon application.

So what can I do?
Should I try to tighten the mounts again or lift the car, take the tire off reinstall it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back