New quad, oil suggestons

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took the plunge a couple weeks ago and bought me a 2013 Polaris Scrambler 850HO. I've been thinking for a couple years that I wanted to transition my racing addiction to utility quads and finally made the plunge.

So from a lubrication perspective this is a new arena for me. I have raced wet clutch sport quads for the better part of a decade and am comfortable with my oil choice for those engines. Now my new quad is a CVT machine and I'm not restricted to JASO MA oils. Here's the question, what oil would you run in a racing quad engine that will see severe use for 2 hours plus races and only holds 2 quarts?

I have a choice in mind, but I wanted to seek input before I have to change it for the first time. BTW Polaris recommends their PS4 Plus which is a 2w50 oil.

I would either use Rotella T-6 (synthetic) or Rotella Triple-T (conventional), both meet JASO-MA requirements for wet clutches and are quite economical. I use T6 in my Brute Force 750i which is an oil shredder and it holds up very well.

My guess is that U will be competing with CanAms 800's during the race...good luck. Amsoil 0-40 works well. Will U be changing out the oil every race? If so I'd think just about any oil w/in the range would be good synth or dino won't matter much.

I use Syntec 20W50 in my modded 400EX and Mobil 1 15W50 in my wife's Rancher. Just about ready to switch to 5W50 Syntec for winter.

Thanks for the responses guys. Ridgerunner, I am an Amsoil PC and considered their Powersports 0w40, but with the OEM recommending only a Xw50, I figured I'd better stay close to that, especially for warranty purposes. I think I like the Schaeffer's 9000 5w50 racing oil. I've seen a UOA on this oil and like the moly content and the ZDDP additives. I don't normally run an oil with that much viscosity spread, but may give it a shot in my new Polaris.

U gotta post up pics of that Popo 850 Scrambler when U get it race ready. I'd sure love to see it and how U set it up. I've had a CanAm 800 a few yrs ago and I've ridden the 850 Sportsman with some work done to it and the Sportsman didn't hold a candle to the stock CanAm.

RR, I will. I'm excited to be moving to the utility class, I'm getting a little too old to be chasing those young guys through the woods on a sport quad. I know it is much more comfortable and has plenty of power. I got the electronic power steering so it is a breeze to keep on turning the bars in the tight woods. I will be racing a Renegade 1000 that dominated the utility class this year, we'll see if my Popo has anything for him. One things for sure, I won't break frames like many of the Can-Am racers are doing.

I'm a member on a couple different ATV forums and theoil discussion comes up quite a bit. Pretty much everyone that doesn't use the Polaris oil is using Amsoil or Mobil 1 0W-40, or Rotella T6 5W-40. I'm currently using Mystik 0W-40 but will be going with the Rotella next oil change.

Couldn't take it any longer, so today, with 12.9 hours on the engine, I changed the oil and filter. Oil I choose was Schaeffer's 5w50 and a Polaris filter. Hope it works well for me, I will report back either way.

Originally Posted By: ridgerunner
Don't forget about those pics!

Here you go...only one I have so far.

IMG959056.jpg

Yeah, the aftermarket is nonexistant so far, gotta wait for them to catch up. That being said, I rode it yesterday with a couple of my race buddies on their 450 race quads and was able to keep up pretty well. I adjusted the shocks stiffer as the day wore on and the machine got better and better at speed in the twisty woods. I'm learning to run hard in AWD and the frontend will pull you through the corners like it's on rails. When I go fast in 2WD the frontend pushes pretty hard. These stock tires aren't the best for what I ride and will get replaced when I decide on a tire and, of course, wheel option. I'm looking at putting a set of FaastCo Flex bars on and moving the gauge pod, that and a tether kill switch is all I plan before the first race. We are in our off season now so there's plenty of time to make changes...and get used to the new machine. I have 3 other race quads that need more attention first. All three of my daughters race in the same XC series as me. All three took 2nd place in their respective classes for the year BTW. Makes a daddy very proud. At the same time, my middle daughter is moving to my old 450 Outlaw and will start racing on the adult track for the first time next year. I'm gonna try to get my little one on a shifter quad for next year, the one my other daughter is moving off of. And my oldest, which has been on the adult track for two complete seasons, only needs new tires and routine off-season maintenance on hers. So you see dads quad often gets back-burner priority.

Good family activity. Post the other quads pics too. Nothin better than cross country racing with a quad IMO.

Here's some pics from this season.

First up is my oldest, 15 years old running in Ladies A class on a Kawasaki KFX450R.
166045.jpg

IMG_7370.jpg

Next up is my 12 year old middle daughter. She competed in the PeeWee Modified A class this year, on a Yamaha Raptor 125, and will move to Ladies C class next year.
DSC_0203.jpg

IMG_7816.jpg

Last up in my youngest at 9 years old. She races a Raptor 90 in PeeWee Modified C class.
IMG_6418.jpg

IMG_7792.jpg

We think that quad racing is a great family sport. It's mostly families that travel with the series and race. Many of the men have sons or daughters that race the PeeWee race. We see each other once a month during the season and lasting friendships are made. Couldn't think of a better way to spend my children's formative years.

If that thing has the AWD setup (auto 4x4), keep an eye on the front axle. A buddy of mine had the pinion retainer plate (not sure what polaris calls it) explode on him. There is an aftermarket one that is significantly stronger and fairly easy to install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back