*NEW* Peak BlueDEF Platinum

(I wasn't sure where to post this so please move it if necessary)

I was looking for member's thoughts on the new Peak BlueDEF Platinum.

It claims to reduce the formation of deposits.
I picked up two 2.5g jugs from O'Reilly ☘ on sale for $19.99 and will be adding it to my Ram 1500 EcoDiesel.

BlueDEF-Platinum-2_5gal-quarter-side-view-e1595449108513.png

Screenshot_20201021-120659.jpg

Oh boy, DEF with additives in it? Yeah, good luck with that.

In fact, by definition it is not Diesel Exhaust Fluid unless it's 32.5% urea, 67.5% deionized water, and nothing else. I guess you could call it "contaminated DEF"???

There's a sucker born every minute, I guess. (No disrespect intended)

Yes, DEF is urea spec'd to a purity minimum and DI water spec'd to a purity minimum and nothing else. You can purify the two ingredients to be even more pure than the requirement, but I don't think ISO 22241 allows any additional materials.

It might be possible to add something at such a low concentration that it would show up as "contamination" in the test results and be under the maximum allowable contamination limits, but geez, there'd be practically nothing there to remain under those limits. It's hard to imagine it being effective in the SCR at a concentration that low, if that is the case.

From the API/ISO definition:
Diesel exhaust fluid is a 32.5% solution of technically pure urea in purified water. For the SCR unit to operate properly, the DEF must meet an exacting purity standard.

Technically DEF is not Urea it is Ammonia or NH3. Urea is CO(NH2)2.
I think what you're thinking of is the fact that ammonia becomes the most active NOx reducing compound in the SCR after the urea decomposes.

The urea with water thermally decomposes into ammonia upon injection. Then the products of that reaction, with residual urea, reacts with the NOx to produce N2, CO2, and H2O as the overall reaction products.

@BillyE , I think they are suggesting it helps reduce exhaust deposits not related to NOx. How? I have no idea.

Reactions: AP9
I'm assuming that by less deposits they mean that it doesn't crystallize the same way their regular BlueDEF does.

I'll let the nozzle dry out after I fill up and see if it appears to be less crystallized than my past fill ups.

What does that matter? It breaks down at exhaust temps. The only way it won't crystallize as much at RT is if it contains less urea.

Sorry to revive a thread that is a few months old. Any idea who makes NAPA Def Fluid? I cannot tell. Anyway, I have a 2020 RAM 3500 and am thinking of using Valvoline DEF Fluid. I ordered that and NAPA substituted it with their own branded DEF. They said it "superseded" the Valvoline one. Anyway, I will return it and just order some Valvoline online if I need to. I was wondering though, if maybe Valvoline made the NAPA branded one. The box and bottle look like the Peak Blue DEF though. I'm a bit paranoid about this. I also try to get diesel at good (busy) gas stations that are using Exxon or Mobil diesel. Thanks in advance!

I usually get my DEF at a truck stop. they go through a lot, and at less than $3 a gallon. Plus, You get exactly how much you need. I have a 2019 Ram 2500. Be careful not to overfill, it messes up the sensors for the gauge. I found out the hard way. I usually get my fuel at the cheapest place around, because that's the place that sells the most other than the big truck stops.

Peak BlueDEF platinum works as advertised, I am running it. When I used regular BlueDEF my DEF injector would get completely caked with DEF crystallization as would the opening were the DEF injector connects to the DEF canister in the exhaust system.

I just ran my 10,000 mile oil change with 100% BlueDEF Platinum in the DEF tank and my DEF injector was clean and the hole where the DEF injector connects to the DEF injector connects to the DEF canister in the exhaust system was clean. I have 30,000 miles on my EcoDiesel Ram 1500.

The first oil change at 10,000 miles the DEF injector was covered with crystalized DEF, the second oil change at 20,000 miles with diluted BlueDEF Platinum the DEF injector was only half covered with crystalized DEF and the third oil change at 30,000 miles running 100% BlueDEF Platinum the DEF injector was clean.

I attached a photo of the DEF injector showing how clean it is at the 30,000 mile oil change, so those who still claim BlueDEF Platinum does not work here is your real world proof that Peak BlueDEF Platinum does in fact work as advertised.

Attachments

• B9B366D1-C694-40D1-9F8B-3B02EDF3BC41.jpeg
    B9B366D1-C694-40D1-9F8B-3B02EDF3BC41.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 259
Back