New mower

Finally retired my 1990 Honda HR214 and bought a Ryobi 40v multi blade 21"mower. The thing is a beast! Mows great and so much easier to turn. I only have about 2400 square feet of lawn so one battery only goes down one bar. Took the Honda to where we have a trailer to use there, probably (hopefully ) will last a few more years.

For a 2400sqft yard I think Electric makes a lot of sense. I've used the ryobi 40v pressure washer (hand held) and its a neat tool for some light cleaning.

Just bought my few cordless mower ( Echo 58V )

No regrets but I have a very small lawn and its only good for short-length grass for those who like to let it go too long.

Still do not trust cordless large snow blowers so I bought a gas one last year ( lots of power but extremely loud ).

Battery mowers and power tools really shine for intermittent use with good torque. I love my battery impacts, and have customers with small lawns that love their battery mowers and battery trimmers. If you plan on using them for hours at a time you will be disappointed IMO.

Aren't they around $600? Seems sort of like expensive overkill for 2400 sq ft.

Then again for small lawns I like simple, light weight push (not self propelled) mowers. I'd sooner get this for $199, or Home Depot sometimes has like new, used mowers at a discount, or just get a used mower off craigslist for $40 for how little run time/use it takes to mow 2400 sq ft.

Then again for small lawns I like simple, light weight push (not self propelled) mowers. I'd sooner get this for $199, or Home Depot sometimes has like new, used mowers at a discount, or just get a used mower off craigslist for $40 for how little run time/use it takes to mow 2400 sq ft.

Yes $600 Overkill? Not at all. Carefree, no gas or oil, easy to store. Overkill might be considered by someone cutting the lawn for you at up to $50 a week for a small lot like this, and wow, so many people pay that *LOL*
We all pay for options in life that make it worth to us personally.
Im going to update my EM purchase soon. So far so good.

Just got a Honda in 2021, but did not use it until 2022. I shouldn't be a doomsday person but I don't think I'll live 33 more years, if it were to last like yours. I guess my son can use it, unless gas is banned.

My Craftsman which cost around $149 lasted 2002-2021. Started first pull every time, it was the platform that was corroding.

There almost seems to be a battle to spend more these days, and I blame marketing for it. I did drop $629 on the Honda, and it's $799 now. Same model.

Yes $600 Overkill? Not at all. Carefree, no gas or oil, easy to store. Overkill might be considered by someone cutting the lawn for you at up to $50 a week for a small lot like this, and wow, so many people pay that *LOL*
We all pay for options in life that make it worth to us personally.
Im going to update my EM purchase soon. So far so good.
$50 a week sounds cheap compared to what a lot of my landscaping small engine customers charge their customers per cut.

$50 a week sounds cheap compared to what a lot of my landscaping small engine customers charge their customers per cut.
We have a friend who owns a landscaping co--I could tell stories for 2 hours, that he told us.

Anyway, it's not worth his while to cut lawns, even 1/5 acre at $50. Factoring in gas, labor, insurance, and the tendency these days for customers to complain. You'd think folks' lawns were like the greens at Augusta or something!

Yes, I was surprised too, I just heard that from my neighbor, though, granted the guy who cuts his lawn is an older retired person. I dont know what the landscapers in our area charge, I always cut my own lawn. I am not sure why, except for a disability anyone has their lawn cut. Ahhhh ... my owns words come back to me, "we all pay for options that are important to us.
Thing is, I personally love to do everything possible to get the most exercise.

Yes, I was surprised too, I just heard that from my neighbor, though, granted the guy who cuts his lawn is an older retired person. I dont know what the landscapers in our area charge, I always cut my own lawn. I am not sure why, except for a disability anyone has their lawn cut. Ahhhh ... my owns words come back to me, "we all pay for options that are important to us.
Thing is, I personally love to do everything possible to get the most exercise.
I notice this where population is dense. We live in 1951 homes on 1/5 acre--you can stand in one spot and see houses 5 deep. I think this was the American dream in 1951. Attached garage in back for 1 car only.

I would say >50% have services cut their lawns because pickups with trailers are always blocking the road.

imho? This type of living seems to also be conducive for the automatic car washes of the world. I don't see many people at all washing their cars in their driveways.

I grew up in a 1970's house with 1 acre, and I had to cut it and rake the leaves. 1/5 acre is a joke to me, I'm done pretty quickly. Also, we didn't stream XM when I cut the lawn as a kid. I didn't even have a Walkman, couldn't afford one.

Finally retired my 1990 Honda HR214 and bought a Ryobi 40v multi blade 21"mower. The thing is a beast! Mows great and so much easier to turn. I only have about 2400 square feet of lawn so one battery only goes down one bar. Took the Honda to where we have a trailer to use there, probably (hopefully ) will last a few more years.
Just curious if you checked to see if there are ample replacement parts available? The battery powered push mowers seem to be made disposable. A number of YouTube channels and small ope repair shops are finding that the flimsy plastic blade adapter on the Kobalt mowers is not actually available to purchase if it cracks warps or if you hit something. My neighbor purchased one of those green Go mowers they sell at Home Depot and Ace. It caught fire and melted. He was sent a replacement. From his observation they already have changed the blade adapter type so he can't readily find aftermarket mower blades that fit.

#1. Not a big difference but I wrote 2400' but it's 2900 sq.feet. Which is still small but there's more maneuvering involved then mowing large expanses.
#2. you're comparing a low end model to a top of the line model. Look at the Honda's and such. Plus if you figure the two 6 ah batteries are about $200 + each and a smart charger are included, the mower itself is down to $200 approx.
#3. I can use the same batteries for my Ryobi chain saw, blower and trimmer.

^ #3 is a good point. #2 not so much, having a small lawn where you don't put nearly the hours on is where a basic, inexpensive mower makes sense. A light weight, non-self-propelled gas mower is great for maneuvering around obstacles, the best option available, IMO, unless you still need to use a string trimmer on most of it anyway, then becomes a wash.

^ #3 is a good point. #2 not so much, having a small lawn where you don't put nearly the hours on is where a basic, inexpensive mower makes sense. A light weight, non-self-propelled gas mower is great for maneuvering around obstacles, the best option available, IMO, unless you still need to use a string trimmer on most of it anyway, then becomes a wash.
If I was 32 instead of 72 I'd totally agree with you. But at this stage of my life I prefer to walk behind the mower instead of pushing it!

Back