New Model 3 Performance released

Let's see the front view though šŸ˜‰
20190818_104657.jpg

Let's be honest about this one. We can calculate the "cost per mile" objectively, and the Tesla does quite well here, if driven long term. The situation you describe may include trading in at the 2-3 year mark. A situation that never promises anything but massive losses for just about any vehicle.

Oh sure, now and then, here and there, the mythical Toyota or Honda is worth more than the discounted new purchase price. Good luck counting on any of that.
I'm not sure your point. EV depreciation is higher that ICE in almost all cases currently. When we're talking a $60k vehicle it's a big deal (to me on my budget anyway). Not to mention EV's are more akin to smart phones than anything else as they are so rapidly developing.

I'm not anti EV in any way, one would suit me well. But I can't justify the almost guaranteed large loss in value while it's also rapidly made an antique.

Saw the first Highland 3 yesterday. Subtle but noticeable changes, mainly the headlights.

Iā€™m excited for you to get that 3, Jeff! I wanted a 3 Performance badly but ended up with the Y based solely on functionality and it being a bit wider for the times I have 3 kids in the back. I sold the Corvette after buying my Y, as the acceleration was similar and I found myself driving it even less, thatā€™s how quick these things are.

I need to find something new for my wife, maybe a Cybertruck. Just kidding, itā€™ll be another GM full size SUV. We arenā€™t ready to be a full EV household just yet.

I'm not sure your point. EV depreciation is higher that ICE in almost all cases currently. When we're talking a $60k vehicle it's a big deal (to me on my budget anyway). Not to mention EV's are more akin to smart phones than anything else as they are so rapidly developing.

I'm not anti EV in any way, one would suit me well. But I can't justify the almost guaranteed large loss in value while it's also rapidly made an antique.
After 10 years Iā€™m not sure that it will be enough of a difference objectively anyway. At $60k weā€™re not really comparing to the A to B transportation purchase. Weā€™re either in a premium segment that tends to get hit harder with depreciation or in the case of a truck which holds its value much better since thereā€™s benefits as a work vehicle even at that age, as a much less efficient vehicle that makes for a bigger gap for the per mile cost.

Ditching a car after 3-5 years is rarely the financially sound decision and at that level I think what you said is pretty evident that an EV is probably not the best choice. It also seems to be a pretty common occurrence to trade at this point. For me when it costs 3x as much for fuel even at 35mpg and the additional service costs, it would take an absolute bludgeoning in value to negate all of that. I think the market cost of fuel or electricity can skew this number pretty dramatically. It just depends on where you live for how this works out.

After 10 years Iā€™m not sure that it will be enough of a difference objectively anyway. At $60k weā€™re not really comparing to the A to B transportation purchase. Weā€™re either in a premium segment that tends to get hit harder with depreciation or in the case of a truck which holds its value much better since thereā€™s benefits as a work vehicle even at that age, as a much less efficient vehicle that makes for a bigger gap for the per mile cost.

Ditching a car after 3-5 years is rarely the financially sound decision and at that level I think what you said is pretty evident that an EV is probably not the best choice. It also seems to be a pretty common occurrence to trade at this point. For me when it costs 3x as much for fuel even at 35mpg and the additional service costs, it would take an absolute bludgeoning in value to negate all of that. I think the market cost of fuel or electricity can skew this number pretty dramatically. It just depends on where you live for how this works out.
As an early adopter, I was fully aware of the high costs, and risk, of buying the new Model 3. My only regret is not putting the money into TSLA instead, but hindsight is 20-20, as they say. I'd have like $450K right now... Sheesh!

As an early adopter, I was fully aware of the high costs, and risk, of buying the new Model 3. My only regret is not putting the money into TSLA instead, but hindsight is 20-20, as they say. I'd have like $450K right now... Sheesh!
Us poor folk should be able to live vicariously through you. The ā€œwifeyā€ should get a new Plaid - and you a new custom Roadster that Musk has stashed away bcs of your loyalty -
Then, the Tribol community promises to give you less grief - a little less šŸ‘€

Us poor folk should be able to live vicariously through you. The ā€œwifeyā€ should get a new Plaid - and you a new custom Roadster that Musk has stashed away bcs of your loyalty -
Then, the Tribol community promises to give you less grief - a little less šŸ‘€
I have a little splash cash stored away, but that's because I used to be that drunk going nowhere. Flat busted, 1 pair of ripped Levis, worn out shoes. And I never wanna be there again. If it weren't for AA (and the Courts that sent me there), the CA promise of excellent low cost education and Silicon Valley opportunity, I would likely be dead. Most of my friends are. And some of my family.

The new Model 3 performance looks like a nice car for 55K Jeff.

I think you should buy it and I'll take a day trip over to your place for an extended ride in it.

Tesla Santana Row just called; they have one in the store but no test drives now.
They also want our car in trade, which I find kinda funny cuz it is an early car; the newer ones have a lot of changes.

@JeffKeryk,

Does Tesla give fair trade-in values? And, do you have exterior/interior colors in mind?
They offered me like $22K, which ain't bad as a trade in. My car is in perfect condition and has low miles, 21K. But it is a RWD Mid Range, which has the smaller battery rated at 260 mile range. White on black, alloy wheels, EAP. Craigslist has a bunch, but have at least 50k, most have 80K to 110K. They start at $21K asking.
I have no idea what Tesla offers for other makes; my guess is it ain't much.

I will get another white on black with FSD. There aren't many options on Teslas and even less on the M3P.
That's about $63K before tax, reg and $7,500 tax credit, which I will not get.

Last edited:
Santana Row store had one... The new cars have better seats than the original cars, the M3P sport seats are really good. The Stealth Gray is beautiful. I don't care for the lightweight wheels. P-Zero Pirellis will be replaced by Michelin Pilot Sports.

1000004287.jpg

1000004285.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure your point. EV depreciation is higher that ICE in almost all cases currently.
Depreciation assumes selling. I'm stating that cost per mile is generally excellent with an EV kept for it's lifespan.

Purchase a Model 3 long range, and drive the wheels off of it, keep it until it's used up. Charge at home and avoid fast chargers when ever possible. The cost per mile, (depending on your local utility) can be absolutely superb.

My X-Type is 22 years old. It listed for $34K, but was purchased for $32K OTD. The car has nearly 230,000 miles on it, for a capital cost per mile of about 14c per mile. Add in gas/repairs/maintenance/insurance and upgrades. Fuel has been about 15c per mile. Insurance is 19 cents per mile (ugh)

My local utility (FPL) offers a $31 per month, pay one price, charger, including installation. By way of comparison, the X-Type averaged about $135 per month in gas.

Well, you know how I feel. DO IT!!!! The performance is worth the price of admission. Maybe even do a few track events or autocross days. Despite the negative press, I remain a huge fan. And quite simply, it is exceedingly hard to match the performance with a conventional gas car, without spending an absolute fortune, and putting up with the driving dynamics drama of wheelspin, non stop shifting and stability.
I understand the performance appeal. I am a fan of ā€œGā€.

That said, I can get very close to that performance just by taking my wifeā€™s car for a ride. Similar horsepower. Similar 0-60. Similar 1/4 mile. Top speed on the SL is electronically limited to 155, but I can fix thatā€¦

What the Tesla lacks is the glorious sound of the V-12.

And that matters to me.

So hard to buy one of these knowing it will lose massive value in the coming years. I just don't make enough money to be able to afford losing 20-30k on a vehicle in 2 years. But I'd gladly drive one.

I agree, but if itā€™s a fun car I would have no problem accepting the big loss of value.

That said, I can get very close to that performance just by taking my wifeā€™s car for a ride. Similar horsepower. Similar 0-60. Similar 1/4 mile. Top speed on the SL is electronically limited to 155, but I can fix thatā€¦

And that matters to me.

I agree. Then if you ever desire to go on a long drive to take in scenery, make a trip, or just for the love of driving, you can refuel in minutes just about anywhere and be on your merry way. No planning, no apps, no waiting, simply pay, refuel, and go. Something may of us do not want to give up or compromise on. Flame suit on.

And that matters to me.

The guy across the street has one of those BiTurbo SL63 AMGs; the sound is pure heaven. Big bucks! $200K? More? His wife has a Model Y Performance grocery getter...
Looks kinda like this:
1714231058297.jpg

Last edited:
Back