New Mobil 1 Website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Australia.

http://www.mobil1.com.au/why/wearprotection.aspx

Quote:
Mobil 1 Offers Superior Wear Protection

At start-up, mineral oils takes longer to circulate in an engine. This induces friction between dry parts of the engine, eventually reducing the life of the engine. In contrast, a synthetic engine oil starts circulating right away, protecting every moving part within the engine.

Oils meeting higher performance specification such as MB 229.5 offer improved wear protection. Reduced levels of wear ensure a healthier engine and longer engine life.

Certain engine oil specifications require a minimum passing wear requirement to be achieved. More demanding specifications set tougher limits (e.g. the Mercedes-Benz specification system uses tiered wear limits for certain engine tests).

http://www.mobil1.com.au/why/outstanding.aspx

Quote:
Outstanding Cleanliness And Deposit Control

Mobil 1 Provides Exceptional Cleaning Performance For Older Engines

In laboratory tests, we switched an American engine and European engine that had been running with conventional mineral oil to Mobil 1. Following 14,000 miles of driving with Mobil 1 at recommended oil drain intervals, the European vehicle returned to near showroom levels of cleanliness. The American vehicle experienced even greater improvement.

Quote:
Mobil 1 Offers Superior Resistance To Deposits Even At High Temperatures

Mobil 1 is more effective at resisting high temperature deposits than some other leading fully synthetic and semi-synthetic oils. Our test simulates high temperature piston deposit formulation which reduces engine efficiency. The test oil is heated to 285°C and directed onto a rapidly spinning (2500rpm) aluminum disc which is heated to 330°C. This test lasted 3 hours. At the end of the test, we assigned the oil a cleanliness rating out of 100.

The boys down under get an A+ for that website. I like the Journey Through An Engine video.

The XOM marketing department in North America has their work cut out for them.

They are updating all their websites. Definitely an improvement.

Originally Posted By: Dupree
castrol edge seems to be selling 8x slower also

At $2+++ more per quart than Mobil 1 at Walmart I'm not surprised
LOL.gif

Whimsey

Quote:
I like the look, points for being chimp-free...

+1

Originally Posted By: IntegraVT

Why the heck would they compare Mobil 1 0W-40 against a different viscosity synth (5W-40) and yet another viscosity synth blend (10W-40)?

Seems like they're cherry-picking competitors to get a pretty graph - http://www.mobil1.com.au/why/lowtemperature.aspx

Well, have to remember the part of the world this website is for. More than likely the competition they are targeting does not make a 0W-40 and all of these high end European cars are factory filled with 0W-40.

Quote:
Mobil 1 Offers Superior Wear Protection

At start-up, mineral oils takes longer to circulate in an engine. This induces friction between dry parts of the engine, eventually reducing the life of the engine. In contrast, a synthetic engine oil starts circulating right away, protecting every moving part within the engine.

Oils meeting higher performance specification such as MB 229.5 offer improved wear protection. Reduced levels of wear ensure a healthier engine and longer engine life.

Certain engine oil specifications require a minimum passing wear requirement to be achieved. More demanding specifications set tougher limits (e.g. the Mercedes-Benz specification system uses tiered wear limits for certain engine tests).

If Mobil feels oils that meet MB 229.5 are so good, I wonder why they only offer one oil in the US that meets the spec (0W40)? Perhaps because oils that meet MB 229.5 do not meet the manufacturers recommendations for the vast majority of vehicles sold here, and do not fit into the one size fits all philosophy of the API and ILSAC.

They do have these two products here in the US, although they are hard to find.

Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-30
Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40

You have to either go to a Mobil distributor or a Mercedes dealer to find these. They also meet other European specs like VW 507.00 etc.

But you are correct, they do not fit in to the one size fits all philosophy of the API and ILSAC. And most of the API and none of the ILSAC oils meet the specs the European manufactures are looking for. Maybe someday.

Last edited:

Yeah and chimps aren't so adorable any more after that lady got attacked :)

I would bet any new edge ads will be chimp free as well...

Originally Posted By: Johnny

Why the heck would they compare Mobil 1 0W-40 against a different viscosity synth (5W-40) and yet another viscosity synth blend (10W-40)?

Seems like they're cherry-picking competitors to get a pretty graph - http://www.mobil1.com.au/why/lowtemperature.aspx

Well, have to remember the part of the world this website is for. More than likely the competition they are targeting does not make a 0W-40 and all of these high end European cars are factory filled with 0W-40.

Castrol and Valvoline also make 0W40 here. It would be good if Mobil compared them.

5L Castrol Edge 0W40 is 30% and sometimes 50% cheaper than Mobil 1 0W40 in Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back