New Michelin tire leaking air

Had a shop install two new Michelin Primacy 4 in the front of my W124 yesterday. On the way back home i checked the pressure and the right one was a little on the low side. Drove the car today and after a few kms of city driving i noticed it was steering itself to the right once i was out of the stop and go traffic. Got out of the car and the tire was almost flat. I put 2.7 bar in it at the first station but noticed the sidewall is now damaged and there's a buldge... How is this possible? It is wet and i can hear the sound of air coming out of the tire but can't identify where it comes from. If the rim is the problem, why did they install the tire without noticing me first? If they don't admit their fault and blame it on the rim, i'm going to have to buy a new tire...

I'll call them on monday... Never had a problem with this shop so far. Unless they claim my rim was bad.

Alloy or steel wheel? Nothing leakier than an old alloy! It would take airing it up & a dunk tank, or bubble solution at minimum to know for sure what’s leaking (unless the leak is huge).

Alloy or steel wheel? Nothing leakier than an old alloy! It would take airing it up & a dunk tank, or bubble solution at minimum to know for sure what’s leaking (unless the leak is huge).
Alloy.
It was working before you got your tire change. My bet is the tire valve.
One wheel had a very slow leak. Couldn't tell if it was the same rim.

This is a hard one,, I know return to the shop that sold you the tires.

One of the rims may have had a very slow leak but not to the point of going flat during the night.

Good news, i sprayed soapy water and it turns out the leak is at the valve so it shouldn't be a big issue for them to repair it. Unless the tire sidewall is too damaged... Installed the spare tire for now, i think it's from 1992, terribly noisy and makes the car steer to the left when braking.

It it worth trying to soak the stem with WD40 or a few drops of oil and wiggle/turn it inside the rim to break any corrosion or dirt loose? I will need to drive the car before going to the shop to have them fix the stem.

Using a spare from 1992 is a bit of a tight rope walk and quite a high risk given what the cost would be to replace it versus an accident or damaging your car when it blows. I understand the temptation since both of my cars have their original spare tires (never had to use either fortunately )and they look perfectly brand new but rubber is not an inert material and it oxidizes whether it ever hits the road or not. I’m going to proactively replace these spares since both of my vehicles need new sets of tires and the spares will be purchased along with those. Please be extra careful!

IME much more likely it’s the core than the actual stem if it is a correct part. Highly doubtful turning it , if even possible would make it anything but worse.

I would not mess with it if you think the tire is damaged- if not I’d be tempted to pick up a core tool and a new core and stick it in (assuming you have a compressor to air it up).

I'll leave it as it is and send it back to the shop to have them repair it. ;)

It it worth trying to soak the stem with WD40 or a few drops of oil and wiggle/turn it inside the rim to break any corrosion or dirt loose? I will need to drive the car before going to the shop to have them fix the stem.
Nah, let the shop deal with it.

There was a big screw in the tire as well. Didn't have any tire issue for the last 6 years and managed to get a screw in a brand new tire the day i have it installed! He fixed it for free, gave him a tip.

There was a big screw in the tire as well. Didn't have any tire issue for the last 6 years and managed to get a screw in a brand new tire the day i have it installed! He fixed it for free, gave him a tip.
He knows your are going to need two new tires in the rear someday and wants your business, smart man and good deal for you!

Back