New member: time vs. mileage Q on a Mercedes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hullo, oil fans,

Benzadmiral here, coming to you from the once-great city of New Orleans. I've been learning a lot from BITOG for more than a year, but this is my first post. I've searched for a similar topic and haven't turned up much, and very little about a car like mine.

It's a 1997 C230 Mercedes sedan, the normally-aspirated 4-cyl., 71K miles. I've had it a little more than a year. The previous owner apparently drove it only about 6K a year, and until Hurricane Katrina I only drove it about 9K. (I put a good 2K on it, though, evacuating to Texas and returning to NO. The little gold beast performed like a thoroughbred all the way and, at approx. 70 mph, returned over 30 mpg on the highway.)

Thanks to info here, I started this car out on Chevron Delo 15W-40 on a 3-month OCI, but found I was wasting money and oil changing at only 2400 miles. Also, I thought I could use a little thinner oil, to help with mpg (I was getting only about 22 with 75/25 city/highway driving). In June I went to a mix of 5 qts. Havoline 5W-30 and 1 qt. Delo, and ran it in NO and TX summer heat, mostly city but then including part of the evac run, for 3 mos./4K miles. Before returning to NO, I changed it to Trop-Artic Syn-blend 10W-30, and everything I've read here suggests I could keep it in there until 4K also.

My questions (at last):

1) I won't be doing a lot of driving between now and Christmas, with the city rebuilding, and those trips will be fairly short ones. It doesn't get terribly cold here; we rarely see even a freezing night, and almost never below 25 degrees F. Should I change by time, 4 months (which might be only 2400 miles!), or by miles (seeing it might take me 5-6 months to run up to 4K)? I can probably work in a long highway run every week or two, though.

2) Does anyone have a similar car, and if so, what grade of oil do you use? My owner's manual, cleverly, says merely to consult my dealer. Their recommendation is Mobil 1 0W-40, but I don't want to pay synthetic prices when I know (from my time here) that there are oils as good for a lot less dough. The temp/viscosity charts all say almost any grade can handle temps above 86 degrees F., which pretty much describes this viciously sweaty climate from March through November. If anybody has some specific recommendation that I should go to a xxW-40 oil, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Paul W. (the Benzadmiral)

I'd run the Mobil1 0w40 as recommended by the dealer . I'd run a 1 year / 7500 mi. OCI, or whatever the OEM oil change inerval is on that engine. Use better oil but run it longer and your cost per mile will not increase, but your car will be better protected.

Hi,
Benzadmiral - your Dealer's advice would be the same if given from a Dealer in this Country. It is sound advice IMHO
A one year or 10k miles OCI is OK in this engine with the Dealer recommended oil

Doug

Yes, M1 0w-40 or GC 0w-30. Id also run any of the 5w-40 oils with confidence.

we run M1 t&SUV in our w210 300D with excellent results at 7500 mile intervals. Granted its a diesel, but I dont think you can go wrond with a 5w-40 in a MB.

mercedesshop is an excellent place to visit, nd Phil at fastlane is always a great help.

JMH

Since you dont wanna go with synthetics, I would stick with a good quality 15w40 dino oil. TX/LA summers are unusually harsh on oils and the thinner dino oils will just not do in a german engine in the summers in this part of the country.

As far as your OCI, i think you could feel pretty confident going with a 4 month 4000 mile interval. Thats only 3x a year, and assuming you change it yourself, thats pretty cheap insurance.

I ran 20w-50 year-round in my VW Jetta here in North Texas with never a problem for 225,000 miles. I might not try that in a honda or chevy, but in a VW, BMW, or Benz, thicker seems to be better.

Thanks to all for the quick replies! Maintaining my car is also a kind of hobby, and I like fiddling with it. I'd get twitchy if I went a year between changes. Maybe I could try 5W-40 or the GC stuff -- Autozone here has it -- and go six months, but I'd get stir-crazy.

In any case the car isn't due for a change until February at the earliest, so I've got time to look for sales. (Besides, like a lot of you, I have a small stash of Havoline, Trop-Artic, and Delo tucked away in my kitchen closet.)

Kestas and JZHR2, I'm also Benzadmiral at mercedesshop. The moniker came from my previous Benz, a steel-grey 1986 420SEL which reminded me of a German battleship. (I thought of getting a vanity plate, "Tirpitz," but knew people would misread it as "Tar Pits.")

Paul W.

If you decide to try GC, get some soon as it's currently on sale for $3.99/qt. (usually $4.99/qt.). Not sure when the sale ends, but it's been on sale for close to a week now so it might come to an end very soon. I just grabbed 10-quarts (enough for 2 oil changes in my STi) today.

Bar1,

See, everybody in America knows the Bismarck. (Well, everybody above a certain age, thanks to the Johnny Horton song.) But it had too many letters for a vanity plate, and I didn't want to misspell it. "Tirpitz" would have been way over most people's heads.

I like the nautical theme (though I've never been in any navy. I don't even know how to swim!), but the little gold C-Class just doesn't fit into any naval scheme. Maybe with my next car I'll go steel-grey again. In the meantime, this screen moniker is unique. . . .

-- Paul W.

Hi,
offtopic.gif
bar1 - I know this part of your wonderful country well (I lived in Copenhagen for some years and speak "Skansk" and German) as I travelled in Sweden, Norway, Finland and USSR quite often

Trondheim is a lovely place and I passed through there more than once on the way to Hammerfest etc

Regards
Doug
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back