New Mazda MX-30 SkyActiv R-EV

Engineering Explained goes into more detail on the rotary engine itself, quite a few improvements that make me hopeful for that future rotary sports car one day.

The explanation on how direct injection improves the combustion on this motor is interesting. Also the plasma ceramic coating on the aluminium housing instead of iron.

When you think about it this engine will kick on and go to a set speed and that’s it. No real load or high revving.

The engineer at the Brussels show said that a person inside the car will not know if the engine is running or not. That’s a key point.

Sad, yet true. It's hard to make a Wankel engine pass emissions.
That may not be the case with direct injection rotary engines. The fuel/air tends to remain unburned around the edges of the rotor. By injecting fuel into the center area, this problem may be avoided.

I absolutely love the idea of a rotary/generator/hybrid. Maybe the upcoming Ram EV truck setup can use such a setup.

I'd like to see more than 50 miles of EV range. This is Chevy Volt territory.

That may not be the case with direct injection rotary engines. The fuel/air tends to remain unburned around the edges of the rotor. By injecting fuel into the center area, this problem may be avoided.

I absolutely love the idea of a rotary/generator/hybrid. Maybe the upcoming Ram EV truck setup can use such a setup.

I'd like to see more than 50 miles of EV range. This is Chevy Volt territory.

The extender gives it close to 400 miles of range.

I did some looking around and found a source that says the fuel economy for the rotary is about 235 mpg. The car has a 13 gallon fuel tank so I am guessing that at some point the battery needs charging before the fuel runs out. I’m surprised that they didn’t go with a smaller fuel tank but there must be a reason.

Perhaps. Yet Wankel efficiency still suffers due to the shape of the combustion chamber - long and narrow with a lot of surface area. We used to say the Wankel made twice the power of a piston engine by burning 3 times the fuel :)

That said, as a former Wankel engine owner I'm a big fan. They have excellent power output to their weight & size, and good reliability. The drawback has always been emissions & efficiency. If Mazda can crack that nut it would be awesome.

Mazda engineers are at the top of their class.
For those that dont know in 2012 (possibly 2011) they premiered their Skyactive engine which was and maybe still is the highest compression mass produced engine in the world that runs on regular gas.
It's a good thing Mazda has kept their engineering dept away from Ford's, maybe that's why they're at the top of their class...

It's a good thing Mazda has kept their engineering dept away from Ford's, maybe that's why they're at the top of their class...
You mean that is why Ford is not at the top of their class. Mazda ended that relationship over a decade ago.
They have recently teamed up with Toyota on a USA project. I always looked at Mazda as the specialty company. Not looking to take over the world but just build good, basic reliable cars with some very cutting edge engine technology.

Yes, with our genius, we have created an electric car that burns gasoline and needs oil changes.

*Americans creating thunderous applause. Women and children weeping with joy*
Hybrid has its place. Diesel-electric locomotives for example. Use an ultra efficient liquid fuel engine to power a high performance electric one. That said, Ive just gone full EV, because it makes more sense to me in my application.

Mazda engineers are at the top of their class.
For those that dont know in 2012 (possibly 2011) they premiered their Skyactive engine which was and maybe still is the highest compression mass produced engine in the world that runs on regular gas.
Its not. My rav4 prime was 14:1, ran on 87oct. Had a higher thermal efficiency rating, too. Over 40%.

Hybrid has its place. Diesel-electric locomotives for example. Use an ultra efficient liquid fuel engine to power a high performance electric one. That said, Ive just gone full EV, because it makes more sense to me in my application.
I have extensive knowledge on this one as I've worked for the railroad for many years and I don't know if efficiency is really the reason. It's the electric torque for startup and durability. If there was a coupling to an actual engine, that would break immediately trying to move if not spin the wheels trying to get into the power band. Electric traction motors with wheel slip control is much easier to regulate. On a typical train that is around 15,000+ ton with 2 engines it'll use about 3,000-4,000 gallons total to go 200 miles. They'll usually add 5,000 gallons at a crew change point between the 2-3 engines which even on off-road diesel is around $17,500. Efficiency may be a driver, but I think by far durability and reliability are the the main factors.

Reactions: Ws6
I have extensive knowledge on this one as I've worked for the railroad for many years and I don't know if efficiency is really the reason. It's the electric torque for startup and durability. If there was a coupling to an actual engine, that would break immediately trying to move if not spin the wheels trying to get into the power band. Electric traction motors with wheel slip control is much easier to regulate. On a typical train that is around 15,000+ ton with 2 engines it'll use about 3,000-4,000 gallons total to go 200 miles. They'll usually add 5,000 gallons at a crew change point between the 2-3 engines which even on off-road diesel is around $17,500. Efficiency may be a driver, but I think by far durability and reliability are the the main factors.
Thanks for first hand info! Durability and power and reliability work for me ;)

You mean that is why Ford is not at the top of their class. Mazda ended that relationship over a decade ago.
They have recently teamed up with Toyota on a USA project. I always looked at Mazda as the specialty company. Not looking to take over the world but just build good, basic reliable cars with some very cutting edge engine technology.

I didn't know they divorced. That's great news! We've had two Mazdas and loved them both. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one...

Back