New install 4l60e. Brand/type choice?

I have a fresh 4l60e goung into my 2004 Suburban 4x4. New Tru-cool 40k cooler also. I will be changing it's fluid and filter at around 1500 miles, then every 20K. I will also pull the drain plug and drain a bit around 100 miles for inspection. Minimal towing.

From the best of my feeble knowledge, I will be using Dexron VI. I have read posts on changing the fluid, but nothing on new install.
Are there any brand preferences and/or suggestions?
My initial choice is Valvoline, but I want to see what others have done, aka first hand info.

Thanks.

If you need a PAN I bought a few of these, so far decent. They're just a cleaned up OE pan with drain in the OE spot.

I would put OE DEX 6 in it. 20k is a bit aggressive, but no harm there as long as you can remove the filter seal well without damaging it over and over.

Is the tranny box-stock on the rebuild, or did it get upgrades? Not that this would alter fluid choice, but I have to wonder if it will “need” fluid changing every 20k, after initial run-in.

This transmission has a regular filter, right? So pan drops and filter change would give a really good examination of how things are going, right?

What was the OEM cooler? Was it in the radiator, and if so, is it being bypass / not used? I’d be concerned about it not being properly flushed out, if it was being reused (not sure why a rebuild is necessary here). If that new cooler is to replace whatever was there, then disregard, besides it sounds like you know what you’re doing here.

Tru-cool is an upgraded aftermarket cooler to the OE one. IF he has the towing package there is a external cooler mounted in front of the rad in series with stock rad cooler, otherwise rad only cooler on non-tow package trucks and suvs.

You mean TES-668, which supersedes TES-295.

I don't think Delvac 1 carries a 668 approval.

mob-122062-1_pm_xl.jpg

Can't help you on the fluid choice, but just a reminder that now would be a good time to make sure the pan has a drain plug. Should be easy to fund an aftermarket one for such a common transmission like a 4L60E if not.
I changed the factory pan when the original drain plus didn't loosen. Torque wrench only went up to 150 lbs. 3' breaker bar wasn't even close.

Is the tranny box-stock on the rebuild, or did it get upgrades? Not that this would alter fluid choice, but I have to wonder if it will “need” fluid changing every 20k, after initial run-in.

This transmission has a regular filter, right? So pan drops and filter change would give a really good examination of how things are going, right?

What was the OEM cooler? Was it in the radiator, and if so, is it being bypass / not used? I’d be concerned about it not being properly flushed out, if it was being reused (not sure why a rebuild is necessary here). If that new cooler is to replace whatever was there, then disregard, besides it sounds like you know what you’re doing here.
Rebuild on the transmission with a few upgrades. Daily driver.

OEM cooler has been gone a while. I'm replacing the Hayden with a TruCool 40k. All new lines. Radiator portion will be lovingly cleansed with a gentle stream of mineral spirits cascading throughout. Followed by a flush of fresh ATF, drained through a coffee filter.
I think I'll change the fluid around 1000 miles, keep an eye on it, then 40K.
Thanks.

ACDelco dex VI is cheap. Available everywhere. I also use Maxlife multi. It has tamed that 1-2 hard shift to some extent. But what does that mean? Does smoother mean more slippage? Only time will tell. I am at 185k original, trans. 4l65e

ACDelco dex VI is cheap. Available everywhere. I also use Maxlife multi. It has tamed that 1-2 hard shift to some extent. But what does that mean? Does smoother mean more slippage? Only time will tell. I am at 185k original, trans. 4l65e
Now that the new Maxlife formulation is CVT compatible I’m a little hesitant. I’d go with a “real” Dex6 personally. Any brand should be fine.

Now that the new Maxlife formulation is CVT compatible I’m a little hesitant. I’d go with a “real” Dex6 personally. Any brand should be fine.
I did not know that. When did it happen? My last fluid exchange through the cooler lines was 2+ years ago

I did not know that. When did it happen? My last fluid exchange through the cooler lines was 2+ years ago

Some interesting stuff. I’m not saying there is anything wrong with it, I just wouldn’t use it personally.

Some interesting stuff. I’m not saying there is anything wrong with it, I just wouldn’t use it personally.
Thanks. On the left are notes on the Maxlife I used. Compared to OEM Dex VI. On the right the new version.

Attachments

• 44A6E612-86E7-4408-8EE3-DDC2AA5ED3AF.jpeg
    44A6E612-86E7-4408-8EE3-DDC2AA5ED3AF.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 18
Back