New Honda OEM filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty good price for 6 blue colored Fram OCOD's, because that is what they are. You want the PLM-A01 not the PLM-A02's. They still work and it is a good deal but it is just an orange Fram.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Pretty good price for 6 blue colored Fram OCOD's, because that is what they are. You want the PLM-A01 not the PLM-A02's. They still work and it is a good deal but it is just an orange Fram.

I've read a bit that their filters are just manufactured by Honeywell. They apparently look different when cut open. Metal endcaps and all.

But, it still seems like bad mojo to buy anything from Honeywell/Fram.

Yea Honeywell makes several tiers of filters... and I'm not saying what is what here, but just because it's made by Honeywell does not mean it's a OCOD along with the dead horse, buried in teh ground etc about OCOD.. The Fram EG is my choice of filters as of now being an outstanding constructed filter, easy to pick up in walmart while I'm shopping in which case I also pick up my oil directly across the isle unless I find oil specials elsewhere...

Also on edit Honda has Honeywell make their filters OEM, and then they run this filter for two consecutive OCI's, and I do the same on conventional oil, and never had a problem.. however I do purchase filters of better value, but I would fram it with the orange can with zero worries on back to back OCI's which would be 16-20k

Last edited:
Which number is it? The headliner says A-02. Underneath shows two other numbers including the A-01.

Assuming it's the A-02, it's the Honeywell/Fram similar to a Tough Guard (silicone adbv), and NOT as stated above a blue/orange can.

If an A-01, it's the Filtech with the 'thermo bonded' media ends/no endcap, which some prefer. H and A sells for around $30 a six pack, which with shipping makes them ~$7. So if it's the A-01, and one just absolutely wants OEM, then it's better than H and A.

That said, for ~$4.90 each including shipping I'd pass. Just too many other readily available filters for same/less money, that filter/flow as well or better, P1 as an example. But, that is JMO.

I went to Majestic Honda and put the part number in and this is what I found:
15400-PME-T01 FILTER, OIL (TENNEX) 7.04 4.93

They are made by Tennex and NOT Honeywell

And you get this info from who??? made by Fram? Look at the sticker on the picture, they are NOT the A02. I wouldn't even started this thread if they are the A02. This is a different part number and I just found out that It's made by Tennex which makes some Mazda OEM

Originally Posted By: Silver02ex

And you get this info from who??? made by Fram? Look at the sticker on the picture, they are NOT the A02. I wouldn't even started this thread if they are the A02. This is a different part number and I just found out that It's made by Tennex which makes some Mazda OEM

What are you talking about?? I looked at the EBay thread It says

6 Pack OEM Honda Oil Filters - Part # 15400-PLM-A02
In big bold letters at the top. Look at the link or go ask a honda dealer if they have the cut open A02. It is a cardboard endcap Honeywell...pretty sure you can call it what you want but it is a FRAM OCOD! Go ahead and buy 'em an cut one open. If you want a cardboard endcap fram on your car that is fine, I use them on my Accord...they are free though
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Silver02ex

In big bold letters at the top. Look at the link or go ask a honda dealer if they have the cut open A02. It is a cardboard endcap Honeywell...pretty sure you can call it what you want but it is a FRAM OCOD! Go ahead and buy 'em an cut one open. If you want a cardboard endcap fram on your car that is fine, I use them on my Accord...they are free though
grin.gif

The images ive seen of these Honeywell manufactured Honda OEM filters. They have had metal endcaps and various other differences.

I'd like to see the cardboard ones you are talking about though.

grin.gif

What am I talking about? Look at the picture on the listing... It is NOT A02!.

Manufacturer Part Number: 15400-PME-T01

It clearly shows this part nubmer: 15400-PME-T01
I'm well aware of what an A02 and A01 looks like. Take a look at this listing. It show the new part number of: 15400-PME-T01
Interchange Part Number: 15400-PLM-A02.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-OIL-FILTER-20-15400-PME-T01-OEM-FIT-USDM-JDM-ADM-/150514873829

The title of the original link must be a type because the picture shows T01 filter and show T01 under the part number.

Last edited:
Quote:
The images ive seen of these Honeywell manufactured Honda OEM filters. They have had metal endcaps and various other differences.

I'd like to see the cardboard ones you are talking about though.
Then you need to scroll up to webfors link to the A-02 and click on it...voila`. Personally haven't seen metal endcaps on Honda filters in some time. The other common type is the A-01 Filtec thermobonded media ends/no endcap type. This thread also shows pics of the difference between A-01 and the Honeywell/Fram A-02.

As for the OP's filters, the ad is somewhat ambiguous regarding which filter is for sale. Assuming the pics and part number is correct is does seem to be a Honda filter made by Tennex. As for the internal construction, who knows? So, I guess the question is, is a six pack of Honda filters worth ~$4.90 each including shipping? I suppose if one just prefers Honda OEM filters, then the answer could be yes.

Maybe the ebay lister could send pics of the baseplate and clearer views of the labels.That might settle it. Not sure why anyone selling goods on the internet wouldn't have better pics anyway.

I thought the Honda Fram filter was a clone of the Tough Guard, not Extra Guard. I don't think the TG is half bad, as long as the fiber endcaps stay in place. Apparently they do, and filter well, or Honda wouldn't have bothered to use, IMO.

The parts guy at both local Honda dealers told me that there is no diffence in the A01 and A02 filter. Most of the auctions on ebay seem to follow the same logic assuming that the average person doesn't know any better. In the description, they even say they are interchangeable.

Having seen several threads on here of both cut open, I know different. I am currently running an A02 on my 2010 Civic and have not had any problems (and don't expect to) but would prefer the A01 if I had a choice. I would confirm with the seller which part number he would be shipping before I agreed to purchase.

Originally Posted By: mitch256
The parts guy at both local Honda dealers told me that there is no diffence in the A01 and A02 filter. Most of the auctions on ebay seem to follow the same logic assuming that the average person doesn't know any better. In the description, they even say they are interchangeable.

From a parts application standpoint, they are interchangeable. We know the internal construction and material choices are quite different though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back