New Honda CBR300R

Status
Not open for further replies.

It is brand new but last year's model.

Owners' manual requirements for engine oil are
JASO MA
10W30
API SG or higher.

Honda GN4 is the recommended oil but it will cost me over $10/l whereas we have Delvac Super 1300 10W30 at work and will cost me under $3/l. Will the Delvac work just as well as the Honda oil?

For lubing the o-ring sealed chain, I can get Dupont Teflon Dry Lube at Lowes. Will it work well or should I be looking at another lube?

Fram 6015 is available very inexpensively.Should I substitute it for the genuine Honda filter?

I am not really concerned about voiding the one year warranty using non Honda products.

I don't ride much, around 1000 km a year, running errands in the city and taking advantage of free parking for motorcycles in the city of Toronto.

The DuPont Teflon stuff is no longer a dry lube. It thickens but stays wet and will sling. They reformulated it a while back. If you want a dry lube from DuPont then you have to get their dedicated chain lube.

As for the Delvac, if it is okay for Allison C4 specs, it is wet clutch okay. You can always contact Mobil and ask it its C4 compatible. Don't mention JASO, or they will just tell you to buy a motorcycle lube.

As for the Fram...I have never been a fan and would look more into a Wix or Purolator motorcycle filter for an aftermarket one. The Honda would be okay too.

Last edited:
Delvac will work fine, but I would use rotella 5w40.

Dupont CHAIN lube is very good. Also bel ray lube

Nothing wrong with fram filter either. I used oem honds and bosch on my bike

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure your oil is JASO MA rated because you have a wet clutch and some oils have friction modifiers which are great for autos but not so good for your clutches.

No comment on the chain lube but I would definitely not use a Xw30 oil.

300cc? So at highway speed you are turning what... 7k rpm? Maybe 8k? I second the 5w40 Rotella T6

I'd think that oil would be fine. My NC750 calls for the same Honda GN4 oil, but I use a 5w30 Penrite car oil (JASO approved) with no problems. I'd stick with the Honda filter - for the few dollars saved on aftermarket, I don't think it's worth the risk. Chain lube - I use cheap engine oil, 15w40 or 20w50. At 1000km a year, you'll only be lubing it 2 or 3 times! 1 year warranty?? We get 2 years unlimited kilometers here...

Last edited:
You can see the rear portion of the huge muffler above and past the rear wheel. It is actually a catalytic converter and I would like to keep it functional. I hope a HDEO will not poison it.

Originally Posted By: George7941
You can see the rear portion of the huge muffler above and past the rear wheel. It is actually a catalytic converter and I would like to keep it functional. I hope a HDEO will not poison it.

Your engine would have to burn a significant amount of oil for that to happen.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86

300cc? So at highway speed you are turning what... 7k rpm? Maybe 8k? I second the 5w40 Rotella T6

It is what is called for in the manual and the drivetrain was designed for it.

Originally Posted By: bobbobtar
Make sure your oil is JASO MA rated because you have a wet clutch and some oils have friction modifiers which are great for autos but not so good for your clutches.

Allison C4 is also a wet clutch spec, but one from the automotive world. If you see that you know you have a clutch friendly oil as well.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: Brybo86

It is what is called for in the manual and the drivetrain was designed for it.

yeah using a higher vis oil is not warranted. a 10w40 will shear more than a 10w30 anyway. I'm putting out 200ftlbs per cubic litre with a turbo and heui injectors and a 10w30 is perfect for that much heat and power. so I'm sure a 300cc bike will be just fine on it. He is only scooting around toronto with it anyway. Pretty easy commuting and nice weather.

Well it has more to do with the engine being designed for a particular viscosity. It is not like the engine was designed for a thicker oil and back speced to use a thinner one. Honda has been on the 10W30 train for a while and I have seen no ill effects. It is probably close to the edge for transmission protection, but still adequate.

I bought my daughter a Honda Rebel which is a 250 twin. I originally put Walmart Super tech 15w40 in it. She said she had trouble finding neutral and it didn't shift all that nice. Now this is a 17 year old girl version. Anyhow, I changed it out to Peak 10w40 regular SN oil. She said it shifts super smooth now, able to find neutral easy. I may even try 10w30 in it. I think these newer Honda like a thinner oil. Regardless, the SN oil made no problems with clutch hookup. I think the biggest deal with wet clutch's, they stay wet. The bike has no oil filter so I plan on changing the oil every 1500 miles or sooner. Synthetic would be over kill. Holds 1.6 qt.

Last edited:
i have tested delvac 1300
it is better than honda gn4.
but it would not even be my 3rd choice...even from hdeo's!!!
walmart supertech 15w40 kicked its rear
as did shell rotella t 15w40
and so did chevron delo 400 le 15w40
granted i am talking about 15w40s and not a 10w30, but
also realize that a 10w30 shears to a 20wt by the time you get to the 1st stop light.
there is no way you are riding in toronto winter, so since it is summer riding only why not pick an oil that is better for that time?
if you really want a 30wt, then get Castrol 0w30 synth (the gc) that is one of the best 30wts you can run and the only castrol product i recommend

I have a NC700X and the owner's manual calls for 10w-30, but the official Honda Service Manual calls for 10w-30, or 10w-40. Not surprisingly, Mobil 1, Castrol, Valvoline, etc. 10w-40 motorcycle oils can be found in many of the automotive parts stores, but not much 10w-30. I just wish they sold MC oil in 5 qt jugs.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I bought my daughter a Honda Rebel which is a 250 twin. I originally put Walmart Super tech 15w40 in it. She said she had trouble finding neutral and it didn't shift all that nice. Now this is a 17 year old girl version. Anyhow, I changed it out to Peak 10w40 regular SN oil. She said it shifts super smooth now, able to find neutral easy. I may even try 10w30 in it. I think these newer Honda like a thinner oil. Regardless, the SN oil made no problems with clutch hookup. I think the biggest deal with wet clutch's, they stay wet. The bike has no oil filter so I plan on changing the oil every 1500 miles or sooner. Synthetic would be over kill. Holds 1.6 qt.

I would not go down to a 10w30 in a Rebel. It is a decades old engine design that was made for 10w40. That 10w40 is going to end up being a 30wt when you dump it anyways. Stick with what Honda designed the engine for. You are okay with SN 10w40 because it is not a resource/energy conserving oil as PCMO 30 weights almost always are outside a few high mileage oils.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back