New here, Dirt late model oil ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off im new here so hello all. Now I have a dirt late model that i run mostly in ohio, I have had some oiling trouble here recently. Seems im getting the oil to hot, The oil temp during the race is getting to 270-280 ish. and i only have about 40psi of oil pressure at 7000 and about 10 at 2000, The oil pressure warning light is comming on in about every corner. The motor is a 410 cid chevy, roller, wet sump, and i use alcohol. also the water temp is never above 180... Why is the oil getting so hot??

I got a good deal on some red line racing 50wt, $105 for five gallons. THought about using this

welcome2.gif

i did switch to an c-line 9 quart aluminium pan, had a steel 7 quart moroso on it, thought that might help

It will - more oil = more cooling. Extra capacity to carry away heat never hurts.

That is a great deal on the Redline - go for it!

Redline's straight-weight oils are actually multi-visc. oils, this one most likely meets the specs of a 20W-50. Redline's website has details....

Does anyone have a VOA in red lines racing 50wt?? I searched but found notheing on there raving oil.

You didn't mention which oil or weight that you're currently using, but 270F-280F isn't uncommon in racing. Your oil pressure is too low! You shouldn't be running such low oil pressure in a SBC, nor should you be uncovering the pickup in the turns. If the pan capacity is okay and the oil pump is fine, then either the pickup height is too high or all the oil is staying upstairs in the heads.

I recommend a synthetic racing oil product. Since you're using alcohol as a fuel, you might want to boil off the blow-by alcohol in the oil before every other race. The synthetics can take the heat of repeated re-boils.

I use RedLine Oil products, but there are plenty of other excellent racing oils out there.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
It will - more oil = more cooling. Extra capacity to carry away heat never hurts.

That is a great deal on the Redline - go for it!

Redline's straight-weight oils are actually multi-visc. oils, this one most likely meets the specs of a 20W-50. Redline's website has details....
More oil means it takes longer for the oil to heat up.

I have used valvoline vr1 50wt for years, i also installed smaller oil restrictors to try to keep some oil out of the heads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back