New HDTV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
General problem with these flat panel thin bezel displays is that there is very little room for decent size speaker drivers and enclosures to make them sound decent. Our 60" Samsung LED is the same way. I couldn't stand the built-in speakers and bought a soundbar for it. In general these TVs are meant to be used with dedicated audio systems, I'm afraid. Your other option is to use wireless headphones.

I completely agree. Amongst other things, I sell TV's at my place of employment. And I have to say that even the finest big screen TV's (including your 60" Samsung LED, Quattro Pete) have pretty poor audio reproduction. This is why the soundbar was designed, IMO. My 42" Panasonic LED is up against a wall, with hard surfaces above, below, and on both sides, and the sound that actually reaches me is STILL sub-par, especially if there are any competing noises in the house.

The sound bars are pretty neat, but in some applications, like mine, I had absolutely no place to mount one. Besides, some of the cheap sound bars, in combination with cheaper TV's that do not have modifyable menu options for audio output, are incompatible and will not work together. The only larger TV's that sound decent are the flourescent LCD Vizio's (thicker panel), since they can fit chunkier speakers in there, and they are FRONT-firing, not rear/down-firing like most TV's.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
and they are FRONT-firing, not rear/down-firing like most TV's.

Yeah, that's another good point. All these thin bezel panels have no space for front firing speakers. With rear/down-firing ones the sound has to bounce off something before it reaches your ears. Every time it bounces, it gets more and more distorted/muffled. Terrible, terrible idea.

Looks like you can rig the Audio-Out RCA connection to hook up the speakers and control the volume through the TV remote (from the quick manual):

✎AUDIO OUT: Connects to the audio input jacks on your amplifier/home theater.
xxWhen connecting, use the appropriate connector.
xxWhen an audio amplifier is connected to the AUDIO OUT jacks: Decrease the volume of the TV and adjust the
volume level with the amplifier’s volume control.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
Looks like you can rig the Audio-Out RCA connection to hook up the speakers and control the volume through the TV remote (from the quick manual):

xxWhen an audio amplifier is connected to the AUDIO OUT jacks: Decrease the volume of the TV and adjust the

I think what this is telling you is to turn down the volume of the TV speakers so that you don't have multiple audio sources playing at the same time resulting in echo. Then it's saying that you need to use your amplifier volume knob to control the volume.

What the OP is trying to do is to be able to control the amplifier volume using the TV remote.

I think what this is telling you is to turn down the volume of the TV speakers so that you don't have multiple audio sources playing at the same time resulting in echo. Then it's saying that you need to use your amplifier volume knob to control the volume.

What the OP is trying to do is to be able to control the amplifier volume using the TV remote.

I think you are right - if the headphone jack doesn't have variable output, the composite will not have it either.

Yep.

My Bluray player is feeding audio to the TV through the HDMI. The player is connected to the surround receiver via digital coax. Additionally the TV is connected to the receiver via optic cable.

The setup allows me to watch TV or DVD/Bluray with or without using the receiver.

The caveat being that I have to mute the TV when using surround sound or I will get the echo effect you described.

I'm shocked that my old (circa 2002) relatively cheap Pioneer was so "advanced" in terms of connections and decoding (digital coax and optical as well as DTS and Dolby 5.1) considering the general state of DVD and home audio when it was made.

I bought my parents a Westinghouse LED tv and they had the same problem. Have you tried connecting the audio outputs from the tv to a computer speaker or to your stereo system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back