New dealership rip-off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Everyone complains about shipping but its more that the actual shipping of the product that cost money. It cost money for packaging materials, scales, software, UPS labels printers and fees, personal and the overall operation of a Shipping dept....

Yes, this makes sense, but this is all the more reason Woochow should have gotten a discount at the counter!

At many places, when the manager sees I've done my homework on prices, they'll deal with me. Their prices are higher than internet prices, but they'll make it just cheap enough so it's worth my while to not pay shipping.

I've run into the same pricing issue at Barnes and Noble when looking for a book on CD. It was much cheaper on the website than going to their store. The shipping didn't even make up the difference. I felt just like you did when you were at the dealer, ticked off.

I got a reply from thr dealership to an email I sent regarding this matter. They will give me 5% off as a loyal customer discount. Fleetfilter now has the part at $9.15, not sure of his shipping charges at this point, but I'll probably buy 5 or so. Long live the vendors at BITOG!

I don't understand why places like this won't haggle.

If they would have offered to sell the filter for $15, everybody would have won.

Idiots running businesses today have no clue about how to acquire a resonable profit and attaining volume sales. They'd just rather make big money off of every purchase, even though they are selling half the units they would otherwise be.

Dealers make their money off warranty repair. Out of warranty customers for parts and service are just gravy and don't fit in to their business model. The dealers figure if the customer isn't savvy enough to find an independant to do the work out of warranty, they'll gladly charge their inflated prices.

Luckily I live in the Motor City. The few times I've bought dealer parts, some of the prices were considerably higher than I expected. When the counterperson sees my surprise, I ask about Ford employee discount. They often mark it down for me.

The Ford Stealership here want's $4.54 for copper crush
washers for my 97 Powerstroke, but what upset me the
other night, happened on the internet.

I decided to order some RP racing oil for my ATV, as
the oil is not available locally. The price seemed
reasonable and they offered free shipping with any
order. So I spent 15 min registering and exchanging
the necessary billing info, only to be told at the
end of all this, that ins & handling would be $8.95!

It's nothing but a game of words. I just wish that
they would have told me up front that my free
shipping would cost me $8.95!

I want that 15 min of my life back....

That sucks... I almost got ripped off once also. I called in one day at the nissan dealership for a quote on an alternator. Luckily the next day, i called in again and was quoted cheaper for the same part. I think it's better if you call to get a quote first rather than going to the place.

Also today, i got a pack 10 crush washers for free at my nissan dealership. I asked the clerk, "Can you tell me how much for a copper crush washer?" The clerk thought about it and said, "Hmm... ill letcha have it."

I think crush washers should be free for all customers (although there should be a limit to the free washers).

I know people think I'm a 'cheapskate' for not buying new crush washers (Subaru specifically recommends a new one each time), but that being said, here's my experience based on regularly changing the oil in a total of 9 Subarus for something approaching a million miles. If you torque the drain plug to factory spec., it doesn't matter how old the washer is. Maybe I'm cheap, but my family has saved $200 and never had a leaky drain plug gasket.
Also, PartsAmerica.com (Checker/Shucks/Cragen/AdvanceAuto) usually has free (yeah, really, free) shipping on orders > $50.

Dave

new antennae power mast unit for Camry, Napa was $49, dealer at desk was about $40, I said I could get it on internet genuine OEM with shipping for less, they said oh, we sell wholesale also, sold it to me for $29.95

Thats my gripe with dealers. You never know which price your going to get. Some guys will give you jobber price. Others will quote full msrp. The worst part is you never know before you walk in wether you'll be walking out with a part, or empty handed due to stubborn parts guys. (Do they make a commision on what they sell?)

Alex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back