New car tire pressures high?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Throt
I bought a new Hyundai once and first time on the highway it felt like I was driving on roller skates. Checked the tire pressure when I got home, was I think 52 or 53psi. Door placard said 32. Couldn't believe it.

When I bought the Regal in January of 2014, temps were cold for here, and I didn't check the tires right away. I found after the cold spell passed that the dealer had the tires at something like 38 when they were supposed to be 33. I'd been wondering why it seemed to drive fairly hard!

The Continentals on the BMW were at 34 when I checked them after purchase -- at least that was what the TPMS reported. Placard says 32, so that was okay.

when I sold new cars in Denver in the '70s we had a dealer prep fee of $199 which was pretty stiff for that time period.
we would tell people that part of that service was to deflate the tires of sea level air and fill them up with high altitude air.
some just laughed because they got the joke and some just nodded in agreement.
selling cars was very different back then.

Some local dealers EMPTY the tires, the refill them with "pure ... " nitrogen, and only charge you $ 199.00 ... maybe they give you a little extra just to be nice ... LOL

My Ford Fusion Sport with 235/40R19 factory tires has the door placard saying 39 psi, and then another placard that says to add 3 psi if driving over 100 mph. I popped 2 tires due to pinch flats from potholes at 39 psi cold, so I upped it to 42 psi as a minimum.

Originally Posted by metroplex
My Ford Fusion Sport with 235/40R19 factory tires has the door placard saying 39 psi, and then another placard that says to add 3 psi if driving over 100 mph. I popped 2 tires due to pinch flats from potholes at 39 psi cold, so I upped it to 42 psi as a minimum.

You need to up your sidewall height ... !

Gotta love low profile tires and crappy roads.
frown.gif

Last edited:
My Ford Fusion Sport with 235/40R19 factory tires has the door placard saying 39 psi, and then another placard that says to add 3 psi if driving over 100 mph. I popped 2 tires due to pinch flats from potholes

So much for that whole pothole mitigation technology, huh?
smile.gif

How do you pinch flat something that is tubeless?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back