New Car Document Fees

Hola,
I was playing w/ the computer and price out a 2024 Rav 4 LE. For those that bought new cars, can you review some of the fees.

I am located in Illinois, Cook County side.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3461_CRV.JPG
    IMG_3461_CRV.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 74
That's probably the best you're going to do on a Rav 4. The $1,350 sucks, but I haven't seen a Rav 4 without dealer add-ons...they can call it a processing fee or worthless tru-coat and nitrogen in the tires.

I can't really read your document - its too blurry. But it looks like its 31,734 and everything else is taxes? If so, then yes I agree with @dishdude.

If your a Costco member you can try the Costco discount. Might net you another $500 or so.

Thats an honest quote. Nothing added on besides the port accessories that tmc adds in on almost every vehicle.

That being said, a gasser rav4 le has got to have a better selling price. You can step into a venza for 2500 more and thats a hybrid. An xle rav4 gasser is usually at the 33k mark before taxes and fees. Note these are discounted prices, not msrp.

You would need to shop around, and expand your search area.

Thanks for all the replies, I thought a bought the Venza but some days we drive a lot and in others it can sit for months.

Base Venza is $35K + 1395 delivery so at least $37K Vs. $32, if you can find one. But I agree, Venza is nice, and there all made in Japan. If you will accept a hybrid.
36624 msrp, doc fee is 499, discount price is 33730
venza le

Wont be local though, so thats always a concern. The other thing being this is the last model year of the venza. The replacement is a crown cuv

I would search around for the Toyota dealers in the Chicago area that are in lower-income areas. I didn't necessarily, purposely do that when I bought my Tundra in late 2014, but that's what I figured out to do after the fact.

My Tundra was a nicely-equipped SR-5, 4x4 at a dealer in the south metro Atlanta area that basically makes their profit through renting Corollas.

My truck had been sitting on that dealer's lot for over 7 months. Maybe 8. This was the week before Christmas I decided to stop in and take a look. I had been driving past this dealer every afternoon on the way home for 3 months. I saw this truck parked under the canopy at the front door everyday. I stopped in on a Thursday to check it out. I drove it and called them back the next day, made the deal over the phone, stopped in that Friday afternoon and signed the contract. I told them I wasn't spending more than 30 minutes in there tomorrow (Saturday), as we were getting ready to head to Florida and I didn't have time to mess around with them. The salesman understood.

The truck had a litany of SE Toyota Distributors add-ons like special wheels, tires, side steps, etc., plus it had the SR-5 upgrade package which was bucket seats in front, center console, spray-in bedliner, etc. It had a sticker of $44,000. I bought it for $36,000 plus tax. I think I did pretty well back then. They were very happy to sell that truck in that area.

Anyway, that's my suggestion. You can negotiate the sale price down to cover the "we can't take the Doc Fee off" pricing....

36624 msrp, doc fee is 499, discount price is 33730
venza le

Wont be local though, so thats always a concern. The other thing being this is the last model year of the venza. The replacement is a crown cuv
If you can find a Venza for $3400 off MSRP that is an excellent price. What area of the country if I may ask?

I just priced a new RAV-4 LE yesterday. Out the door at $35.7k. It's in stock.

I couldn't read the invoice list using my phone. So I haven't a clue-yet what was on it.
It was minus AWD.... a deal killer for my wife.

I'm not paying $37+k for a RAV-4 AWD, unless its dressed well. I'd rather pay $42k for a next-grade-up Passport.
Besides, I read somewhere the RAV-4 is getting a noticeable face-lift with new features for 2025. So I just might wait-it-out and buy around Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
I just priced a new RAV-4 LE yesterday. Out the door at $35.7k. It's in stock.

I couldn't read the invoice list using my phone. So I haven't a clue-yet what was on it. It was minus AWD.... a deal killer for my wife.

I'm not paying $37+k for a RAV-4 AWD, unless its dressed well.
The one I did was AWD, very close to your quote

It wouldn't shock me if it was the same vehicle. Illinois is relatively-somewhat close to Michigan. Takes only 5-6 hours to put it on a hauler and deliver it to either dealer.
You can have it.....lol

We bought a XLE Premium FWD with the added upgrades stereo on 2019. Sticker with all the SE Toyota stuff was just under $34K. We paid $28,500 +TTT.

Same car now with same SE Toyota crap is $39,400 - I priced it out. No additional dealer adds. Not sure what they want but likely not buying one at these prices. I may have bought my last new car :(

Contact multiple other dealers and see who can beat your quote out the door, take that lower quote and contact more dealers until you can't get the price any lower.

Your carrot on the stick is you will buy it here right now and have financing.

I find it deplorable that dealerships use these "fees" to pad their wallets, as if the MSRP alone isn't enough for them to survive and make a profit.

Think about this for a minute ...
The OP's quote has the following:
"Doc" fee $358 (documents)
"CVR" fee $35 ("computerized vehicle registration"; just another way to rip the customer off) https://www.cvrconnect.com/ilconnect
The title and reg fees are set by the State of Illinois; these can't be changed

So, what is it that "document" fee covers anyway? Should not the CRV fee cover any filing cost?
For goodness sake, the title and registration are both done at the same time at the same place; the license branch.
And, if they are doing all this work by computer filing (the CVR), why does it cost more to document the documents?

It's incredulous to me to charge $358, with another $35 on top of that, for some person to sit at a computer for a few minutes of work. Think about it for a minute ... when you "close" the deal in the finance office, the F&I guy puts ALL the information into the system (to print the sales contract and loan paperwork, if applicable). So in reality, nearly ALL of the information is already in a databank at the dealership. All they have to do is export that data to the "CVR" 3rd party for DMV filing. And they charge you not only the $35 for the CVR, but another $358 to "process" the "documents". WHAT A RIP OFF.
I would not be willing to pay that $358; not one penny over $50 for a doc fee.

True story here:
When I bought my Lexus this past year, the quote included "doc" fees which were $699. I promptly stood up and told the salesman that Hades would freeze over before I paid them such a crazy price. I had already got $2500 off MSRP, but I wasn't going to let them get some of it back in these stupid fees. Back and forth we went. I told them I that I would personally be willing to go to the license branch and file the paperwork, so there was no need for any "doc" fees or 3rd party filing group. Ultimately we agreed to $150 of total fees for them to file the papers; I didn't like it, but I could live with that total added cost. Then, a few days later, they contacted me and said that because I was filing the car in my personal Revocable Trust name, and because I live out of state, I would have to file the paperwork myself (which I had already said I'd be willing to do in the first place). So they sent me a refund check for $100. My TOTAL final "doc" fee was $50.

Also, for reference, when a Ford/Lincoln employee or retiree buys a car, the dealer is only allowed to charge a total of $75 for a doc fee. If they attempt to charge any more than that, then the "overage" is taken out of their distribution reimbursement from Ford. It used to be $25, but several years ago they bumped it up to $75. Ford realizes that dealers are scamming customers with these Doc fees and penalizes the dealer if they overcharge. I actually threw this fact out to the three dealers I shopped when I bought my F250. They seemed amazed that I actually knew the rules; oddly enough it states the rules right on the employee portal website; the doc fee is a fixed value at $75.

Back