New Brakes for the Outback

Need new brakes front and rear on the Outback. Went with Power Stop Evolution pads and rotors. I took the time to bed them in per the manufacturer recommendations. I did not do this on the EBC green brakes last time. When the old pads were removed they did not wear evenly. The bottom of the pads were far more worn than the tops. Hope the bedding process corrects this and they last longer than the 32k I got off the EBC.

20210720_155534.jpg

20210720_155551.jpg

20210720_155615.jpg

Hope the bedding process corrects this
While properly bedding the new pads is vital, the principal cause for uneven pad wear (top-to-bottom) is improper operating geometry of the pad(s). Not knowing if you have fixed or sliding calipers, this condition could be caused by a slightly cocked caliper piston or (more likely) failure of the caliper to smoothly slide on its pin(s).

Those Power Stop rotors are awesome!

What kind of driving does your car see? 32k might not be bad at all depending on the driving conditions :unsure:

I agree with prior reply that uneven wear top to bottom is most likely something to do with the caliper.

Are you in rust belt?

How much attention to detail did you do with respect to cleaning off rust in critical areas and proper lubrication?

While properly bedding the new pads is vital, the principal cause for uneven pad wear (top-to-bottom) is improper operating geometry of the pad(s). Not knowing if you have fixed or sliding calipers, this condition could be caused by a slightly cocked caliper piston or (more likely) failure of the caliper to smoothly slide on its pin(s).
More than likely it was just the pads ears corroding and getting stuck in the bracket. It’s always the bottom that gets seized first because the moisture will sit there. Regular servicing would have prevented it.

I agree with prior reply that uneven wear top to bottom is most likely something to do with the caliper.

Are you in rust belt?

How much attention to detail did you do with respect to cleaning off rust in critical areas and proper lubrication?

I'm in Dutchess County NY.

I do zero brake maintenance 🙄

I put Powerstop pads & rotors on the Forester a few years ago. Evolutions I think also. Getting some type of noise from the right front after about 25000 miles. I don't think the pads are worn as the noise is intermittant. I thought the clips were thinner, maybe cheaper than OEM. The Powerstops are fine though. I think you'll be satisfied.

Back