New B&S lifetime oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tuned a couple of those up this year. I warmed the engines, drained the oil and put in Super Tech SAE 30wt. Better safe than sorry I told the customers. I recommend they see me every two years for an oil change, blade sharpening, complete fuel system cleaning and a new plug. I tell them that I will trust the new "no change" oil in about 5 or 6 years if I don't have a steady stream of worn out engines coming across my bench. Kind of like the latest prescription medicines. If they're not having their socks sued off them after 5 or 6 years, I'll be happy to try them too.

I miss 2 stroke mowers. Which is why I have the weird hobby of buying and restoring vintage Lawnboys and selling them. I have a 76 and 82 model as my personal mowers but I'm always buying, completely restoring and reselling the green beasts.

There's more at stake with never change your oil than just a couple hrs. It's beneficial for the environment and conserves resources.

Those new Briggs engines are great. I bought one last spring. Lots of power and so easy on fuel. I changed the oil at 3 hours then again around 5 more hours on it. Oil stays quiet clean. Very little engine wear on break in. Way less than the Honda that came on my pressure washer.

If they truly are lifetime, then changing the oil should make them heirlooms.
smile.gif

Most of the commercial guys I know don't bother changing the oil in the little walk behinds anyway. The engines simply outlast the rest of the mower.

For residential use its fine.

It doesn't have to be so much metal shavings in the break in oil that you see the glitter, that's just sloppy design and/or cleaning and/or bad machining and/or wrong grade material.
If you build it with less/zero shavings, like modern car engines, then maybe the break in is less important. And if you top off regularly, the mower should be able to get by a lot of hours.
Still, I like maintainance and doing it better than needed...
wink.gif

I have abused a lot of B&S engines over the years by not changing the oil because it was a pain to do but some ran for years and outlast the frames.

I will ask my friend that works at Briggs about this engine. I know he had to redo some lines for a new line of engines.

I just flushed a transmission at 110K that was to be good to 150K. The ATF in clear jugs looks like dark dark grape juice in color. It also shifts better. It was the first time I ever used Lubegard but will not be my last time.

Fluids need to be replaced at some point in my view for the longest life of the device. Mowers are just one machine that often does not get much respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back