New air filter has no metal wire screen

Many air filters have a metal “chicken wire” screen on the clean side, presumably to add rigidity. I recently bought a Purolator “Tech” filter for our Explorer, and it didn’t have this backing. I’m guessing it’s just for cost-cutting, since this is a budget filter. Assuming I don’t run the thing well past its useful life and clog it, I can’t imagine the pleats will implode right? Filter is nicely constructed otherwise, and has lots of embossing on the media. The Motorcraft filter for this vehicle doesn’t even have that.

Many air filters have a metal “chicken wire” screen on the clean side, presumably to add rigidity. I recently bought a Purolator “Tech” filter for our Explorer, and it didn’t have this backing. I’m guessing it’s just for cost-cutting, since this is a budget filter. Assuming I don’t run the thing well past its useful life and clog it, I can’t imagine the pleats will implode right? Filter is nicely constructed otherwise, and has lots of embossing on the media. The Motorcraft filter for this vehicle doesn’t even have that.
Can you show us a Pic?

As far as Air Filters, I would not go Budget, I would go top of the Line. Oil Filters you can get away with Budget if you are doing a 5000 mile OCI.

Here’s a couple pics. Honestly, “premium” air filters aren’t worth it IMO. Your basic paper air filters are already 99% + efficient anyway.
IMG_5187.jpeg
IMG_5188.jpeg

Give it a run for a year & see what happens. It looks like a well made filter & it sounds like the price was a steal. It is nice to have the wire backing if you have that option though and the filter @Brian123 quoted looks like a good alternative if that's what you want. The filter you have will be just fine & Made In USA.

I'm not a fan. I just pulled one out of my brothers care and replaced it with a wire backed filter because the one without was not sealing in the middle on the long sides. Ford air box too and possibly the same size filter. His car is an 09 crown vic.

I'm not a fan. I just pulled one out of my brothers care and replaced it with a wire backed filter because the one without was not sealing in the middle on the long sides. Ford air box too and possibly the same size filter. His car is an 09 crown vic.
I can’t imagine the screen has any effect on the sealing. If anything the lack of a screen would make the filter panel more conformant to the sealing surface.

I can’t imagine the screen has any effect on the sealing. If anything the lack of a screen would make the filter panel more conformant to the sealing surface.
The lip of the filter without the screen wasn't staying on the side of the filter box. Being that the filter wasn't very rigid it was falling down into the box. Only the two narrow sides were holding it up.

Back