New AC Delco PF48E & PF48 Cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Originally Posted By: jhellwig
....The same motor used to use the pf48. None of the pleats were in bypass or torn. I have use plenty of Napa pf48 equivalent filters on this same vehicle and none of them looked like this so yes this is a filter almost failure.

So when you say PF48, you are referring to the non ecore version? The classic metal construction ACDelco filter? You might find the linked thread below interesting.* It does seem some interchange of PF48 and PF63 occurred. And as your post proves, that was even with dealers.

And to follow up on 'possibly/likely' not using an ecore as the factory filter on the Corvette engines the linked thread shows a GM factory ACD PF48. If you read it closely the relationship of the PF48 and PF63 is interesting, and somewhat confusing. Took me a while to find the thread of car51 dissection, but wanted to back up what I had posted regarding the FF ACDelco. Realize different model but not huge leap to other similar applications.

*http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...EN)#Post3724380

Lastly for ecore, if one thoroughly reads my comments about them, main issue for me is the use of a combo valve. In GM models old and new, that not an issue because not used. Newer GM use poppet type bypass on ecore. That said, still ' my preference' is for metal endcap construction.

When I say pf48 I am referring to the size. Basically the model year or two before mine speced the pf48 sized filter and mine specs the pf63. Since the specs between the pf63 and pf48 were the same except for physical size at that time I decided to use the stock of Napa 7060 (pf48 sized) filters on my car since it was new and I change the oil at 5k. This was before the info we know now about why the pf63 came about and at the time it was suspected by the dealer that it was because the longer filter was easier to get off and the Internet determined it had to do with handling contaminates when the timing chains start to let loose at 100k.

Here is the factory filter that came off my car. Pf48 sized dome end relief and no Adbv valve. It says to replace with pf63.

^^^^Cool, good info. And another data point showing the Factory PF48 to be ACDelco Classic metal construction.

Another interesting point about the Champ circular retainer spring shown. On the Champ made STP S2808 I posted HERE it serves as the Champ'clicker type' bypass with the dome endcap. Thinking the dome coil spring bypass of PF48 much more preferable and higher end. That said, no issues with STP that I was aware of. As an aside, the STP S2808 is now Fram fiber construction with their dome bypass design.

^^^^Cool, good info. And another data point showing the Factory PF48 to be ACDelco Classic metal construction.

Another interesting point about the Champ circular retainer spring shown. On the Champ made STP S2808 I posted HERE it serves as the Champ'clicker type' bypass with the dome endcap. Thinking the dome coil spring bypass of PF48 much more preferable and higher end. That said, no issues with STP that I was aware of. As an aside, the STP S2808 is now Fram fiber construction with their dome bypass design.

The car is a 2013 so it was just before the a delco switch to all ecores.

^^^So you think the FF 'may' now be ecore, or just noting that the over the counter ACD are all ecore now?

Edit. In link I posted above, the PF48 FF was for a 2014 Impala.

Last edited:
I have no idea. I suspect that they will still be pf48 sized with a replace with pf63 label due to figment issues when assembling the car. I have no ide on the ecore thing. Might be like the ford factory filters.

I have no idea. I suspect that they will still be pf48 sized with a replace with pf63 label due to figment issues when assembling the car. I have no ide on the ecore thing. Might be like the ford factory filters.

OK. So we don't know exactly what the Corvette engine factory filter was/is. But based on the ones I've seen posted of other models I'm going to 'speculate' they are classic construction like the ones shown.

It is curious imo that the factory filter size is the smaller PF48 but the replacement the longer PF63 which would be the ecore version.

http://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347812

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=2559

Something else interesting related to the C7 engine failures - apparently it wasn't just the Car & Driver C7.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/08/chevrolet-telling-corvette-z06-owners-change-oil-500-miles/

"On its own, Chevrolet said that it was upgrading its manufacturing process to minimize the risk of contaminating the oil. The cause could be thread shavings for the oil filter which may have made their way into the oil pan when the threads were tapped."

^^^^^And from the link "Included in this information is the correct oil filter for a C7 Z51 application. The correct filter is NOT the PF64 listed in the Owners Manual. The site states "Z51 Oil Filter Replacement - This engine uses a special high performance oil filter, UPF48R or equivalent. Use of any other filter may lead to filter failure and/or severe engine damage".

So according to that info an UPF48 ACDelco Ultraguard Gold or equivalent is required. I'm not at all surprised that more stout filter is spec'd for the Corvette.

But talk about confusion. Wrong label on early production Corvette FF filter looks like it could have lead to replacement by an ecore PF63.

Still vague though about the origin of the shavings it seems with "..thread shavings for the oil filter". Hard to define from that the origin.

Take away from this for me and has been said for production of many vehicles before, avoid first year model(s) with complete redesign.

OK. So we don't know exactly what the Corvette engine factory filter was/is. But based on the ones I've seen posted of other models I'm going to 'speculate' they are classic construction like the ones shown.

It is curious imo that the factory filter size is the smaller PF48 but the replacement the longer PF63 which would be the ecore version.

Like I said on the lambda platforms it has to do with assembling the vehicle as to why the shorter one is used from the factory. So that might make all of the 3.6l v6s have it due to being the same engine. I don't know about the corvette issues.

^^^^^And from the link "Included in this information is the correct oil filter for a C7 Z51 application. The correct filter is NOT the PF64 listed in the Owners Manual. The site states "Z51 Oil Filter Replacement - This engine uses a special high performance oil filter, UPF48R or equivalent. Use of any other filter may lead to filter failure and/or severe engine damage".

So according to that info an UPF48 ACDelco Ultraguard Gold or equivalent is required. I'm not at all surprised that more stout filter is spec'd for the Corvette.

But talk about confusion. Wrong label on early production Corvette FF filter looks like it could have lead to replacement by an ecore PF63.

Still vague though about the origin of the shavings it seems with "..thread shavings for the oil filter". Hard to define from that the origin.

Take away from this for me and has been said for production of many vehicles before, avoid first year model(s) with complete redesign.

I'm thinking they had a mis-print and really meant: "... thread shaving from the oil filter".

And yes, the whole thing is pretty confusing with misprinted labels, etc going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back