New 4-stroke o/b oil recommendations

Just bought a new Suzuki 20hp 4-stroke outboard.
Oil suggestions?

vendor recommended any 10w-30 or 10w-40. Also stated to use STP fuel treatment and mid-grade fuel (reduced ETOH).
What are the thoughts here? (I’ve been running No-Ethanol 90octane in ALL my power equipment: saws, boats, generators, lawn mowers).
Any reason to NOT use a synthetic such as Mobil1 or Castrol ?

Why would there be a reason to or not to use syn oil? I would be more concerned about just changing the oil with an oil with the recommended ratings the manual recommends

Aside from recommending Suzuki oil (of course) here is what the manufacturer says:

The actual oil recommendation is: SAE or NMMA FC-W 10W-40 (operating in temps from 14 degrees to over 100 degrees F) or 10W-30 (operating in temps from -4 degrees to 86 degrees F) API or NMMA FC-W Classification SE,SF,SG,SJ. For temps below -15 degrees F use SAE or NMMA FC-W 5W-30.

Both Suzuki branded oils (10W30 & 10W40) are made by Motul and are labeled Semi Synthetic. Full synthetic is not mentioned or recommended.

Also this:

"We recommend a synthetic blend, a combination of synthetic and conventional oils," says David Greenwood, product planning manager for Suzuki Marine (suzukimarine.com), which switched its company branded oil from conventional to a synthetic blend two years ago for its four-stroke outboards.

Last edited:
Back