New 2020 Ford F Series The Towing King

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by F_150_18
Id be willing to bet that truck was bought used and extremely over loaded before that guy bought it.

I used to work at a fleet repair facility and I have seen a FordF150 with a cracked frame. I don't know why it cracked but it did.
There is a reason truck drivers and pilots to a pre trip inspection.

Meh - as long it is on the open road or towing 100% of the time it will be fine. As a "normal" truck, the emissions systems on a modern diesel are a non-starter. Unless you are towing with the truck the majority of the time, go for the gasoline engine.

Originally Posted by 02SE
Hopefully they've really strengthened the frame from the current model F-450.

[Linked Image]

F-450 broken frame

I'm sure there's more to this story! While I haven't been around many F450's as they aren't used in many commercial applications, But I've seen F550's with longer wheelbases take some serious abuse. Like a bucket truck with outriggers right behind the cab, You (with your background) can imagine what kind of stress that puts on the frame!

Originally Posted by clinebarger

[Linked Image]

F-450 broken frame

I'm sure there's more to this story! While I haven't been around many F450's as they aren't used in many commercial applications, But I've seen F550's with longer wheelbases take some serious abuse. Like a bucket truck with outriggers right behind the cab, You (with your background) can imagine what kind of stress that puts on the frame!

There might be more to the story, or it could just be an example of a combination of being near the max payload with just that camper (some of those slide-in campers are pushing 5k lbs, before it's loaded with belongings) plus a heavy tongue weight from the trailer. I'm guessing it was just overloaded, and the frame was the weakest link.

I'm all for increasing capability of pickups. But it's getting a little ridiculous. I tow a very heavy RV with a pickup. I'm rolling down the road at 35k GCVW, And while I'm within all rated specs, I wouldn't want to go much heavier with a pickup.

I have a CDL from my days as a business owner with MDT's and HDT's.

Towing 37k I would be looking at a class 6 MDT at least, for the chassis, tire, and brake aspects alone.

That is not the current model, it is the 2011-2016 generation. Ford exponentially strengthened the frame on the 2017+ models (supposedly 24x stronger). The new frame is fully boxed (plenty of arguments both ways about boxed versus not) and here is a test (FWIW) of the frame supporting 60K+ pounds:

"Supposedly 24x stronger". Well, hopefully that has some truth behind it, and not just the marketing stunts.

Originally Posted by billt460
https://www.motor1.com/news/373115/2020-ford-super-duty-towing/

"Those looking for the most capable F-Series Super Duty pickup should look no further than Ford's 6.7-liter Power Stroke diesel. The mill, making 475 horsepower (354 kilowatts) and 1,050 pound-feet (1,423 Newton-meters) of torque, is capable of towing up to 37,000 pounds (16,782 kilograms) for gooseneck trailers."

Where will it end? It didn't seem that long ago Ford F Series dually's were maxed out towing 12,000 pounds.

It's gotten stupid crazy now
I'm a huge Ford Truck fan but this TQ war is way over the top stupid
The Duramax has been lower rated for a while compared to Ford and Ram
But it still performs very well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back