Nevada Is Clamping Down On Classic Car Registrations

I have a classic car in Maine. Has to be garage kept, used as occasional transportation, parades, shows, etc. I had to send the state a picture of my 59 in the garage. As well as some general pictures of the car to prove it wasn't an old beater.

No mileage restriction, but I insured it for 2500 miles/year. Never been pulled over in it. Usually just a thumbs up or a wave from the cops.

Brakes, tires, ball joints and brake lights are easy and relatively cheap fixes. The ones I mentioned are not and they have little to nothing to do with public safety.
People who register their old daily driver as a classic to skirt the rules aren't going to keep up on all the other maintenance that does have to do with public safety. You honestly think they'll take their "classic" to a mechanic once a year to make sure everything is to minimal standards? Right.

I/We certify under oath that the vehicle will only be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, and occasional transportation. I/We further certify this vehicle will not be used for general daily transportation or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways, for employment, for transportation to and from employment or school, or for commercial purposes.

You can daily something for years without getting pulled over if you are a careful driver. Not sure they can enforce that unless pulled over for some other violation. And even then, they can make up a plausible story, especially with that "occasional transportation" clause. But officer, I was just on the way to the repair shop for some maintenance.
Sketchy. People driving around in claptraps because they can't "afford" to keep them. I suspect it's getting taken advantage of in VA.

People who register their old daily driver as a classic to skirt the rules aren't going to keep up on all the other maintenance that does have to do with public safety. You honestly think they'll take their "classic" to a mechanic once a year to make sure everything is to minimal standards? Right.

In Virginia it's so easy to get a safety inspection where they don't do more than check the lights and horn, I'm not even sure why they are still required.

In Virginia it's so easy to get a safety inspection where they don't do more than check the lights and horn, I'm not even sure why they are still required.
Same reason as $20 oil changes. To get people in the door and sell them needed or unnecessary repairs. I'm sure the auto repair shop lobby would do all it can to maintain annual safety inspections in VA. And it's more than check the lights and horn. I had to replace ball joints and repair a slight exhaust leak to pass my Sequoia.

LTtpAp5.jpg
We were in AZ last week and I saw a pt cruiser with historical plates lol

Same reason as $20 oil changes. To get people in the door and sell them needed or unnecessary repairs. I'm sure the auto repair shop lobby would do all it can to maintain annual safety inspections in VA. And it's more than check the lights and horn. I had to replace ball joints and repair a slight exhaust leak to pass my Sequoia.

The quality of a Virginia safety inspection varies widely. Some shops do almost no inspection at all, while others nitpick the vehicle.

And it's fairly easy to find the shops that do a minimal inspection...

There was actually a shop in Manassas that lost their inspection license because they were doing so many inspections a day, that they couldn't possibly have been spending more than 5-10 minutes on each one.

I/We certify under oath that the vehicle will only be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, and occasional transportation. I/We further certify this vehicle will not be used for general daily transportation or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways, for employment, for transportation to and from employment or school, or for commercial purposes.

You can daily something for years without getting pulled over if you are a careful driver. Not sure they can enforce that unless pulled over for some other violation. And even then, they can make up a plausible story, especially with that "occasional transportation" clause. But officer, I was just on the way to the repair shop for some maintenance.

They're so lax about it. I live right across from the MD border and work in Hagerstown, so I see all kinds of hoopties with historic tags. There's several late 90's early 00's Chevy trucks with cracked frames running about with historic tags. Walking through the parking lot at works there's a good many vehicles with historic tags that aren't historic (like a 2000 Neon...) A lot of them do it to get past the emissions testing. But, there's no yearly inspections for regular tags like PA does, just when you sell the vehicle. So, you can get it to pass inspection and let it go to Hell. Heck even the yearly inspections are easy to skirt around here in PA. $40-$50 cash and you get a sticker, no questions asked.

In NJ no emissions testing on pre OBD2 vehicles which should be 1995 and older. DMV site says no inspection required pre 1995 vehicles.
Historic is over 25 yrs old. No inspection but limited use.
State inspection is basically lights, horn, glass and wipers and the most important emissions OBD plug in for no codes in the no cost state run facilities. State facility is a joke, basically just emissions testing to get Fed. highway money.
Private facility you have to pay and more than likely get a more complete look over for issues. I've never used a private shop myself.
2-year sticker also.

Last edited:
each state is so different.
IS inspected, is Not - safety only, others safety and smog, etc...
We have several categories here I think.
One has 'limited miles' used yrly, nother has a specific number of miles you cant go over.

Germany has had super restrictions for decades (is it the TFV or something?). U cant customize your car, must be oem all the way (kinda hard for the older vehicle, good for usa prts distributers?).
AND
Japan? what's up with them inspecting out of use most of their 10 yr old cars - we benefit w/all the RHD's being imported here...
(we need to wait till they're 25 yrs old? to register em here?)

As an NV resident, part of people's problem is the smog check in those two populous counties, with inversion layer type smog, is that it goes back to and includes 1968. In other words, pre catalytic cars. Even Calif doesn't do that.
For everything else newer, it is OBD2 plug in type inspections.
And it is a smog check only, not a full inspection like other states in the midwest/east.
By the way, I live in one of those counties... where no one lives. No smog here.
This is used for beaters, fixed income types trying to get by with old cars, and modded Hondas to slip through.

Yeah, it’s just a $25 OBD2 check annually. Bald tires, no brakes; no problem as long as it passes smog. Reno is the home of Hot August Nights so we probably have a higher percentage of true classic cars than many towns, but the classic plate abuse is really out of hand. Gotta get a pic of the late 90’s Chevy 2500 that lives on the end of my street to post an example.

10, 15 min here, $35, privates are certified to do them (a lil different for over 10K lb rigs, tho I cant see any difference in the set up/equip). Must buy the mo`chene (too much $ for me), machine & 'inspector' certified every yr? Reciently placed 4 cameras (vid) in each shop (point down on the 4 sides of the car) to ID the cheaters that were 'getting thru'. A guy will do anything fora buck...
Sorry, gettin a lill off point here~

Back