Needing tires for my 2005 Tahoe

2005 Tahoe Z71 4x4. 4.8 LR4 LS with a 4L60E and 3.42 rear end. 292k on the body, about 175k on the motor and 150k on the trans. I have been easy driving and getting anywhere from 17-18 MPG out of this wasted relic and am pretty pleased.

I currently am running a like new set of 265/70/17 General AmeriTrac TR on some god-awful ugly GMC wheels. I am giving these to my Dad. I have the stock Z71 wheels that I want to put one tire on and run year round.

I do see fair amount of snow and winter weather come the season. I am leaning towards the General Grabber ATX but curious if you all would come to a consensus that this tire will drastically hurt my MPG. I do not hate these AmericTrac but don't see them as being a super aggressive tire come slippery season.

Any suggestions or thoughts? Thanks.

Last edited:
Going to either 245/75/17 or 235/80/17 should help your mpg. I'm thinking Nitto EXO or Toyo CTs for severe winter and long tire life.

I have and love the General ATx on my f150. They’ve been the best all terrain I’ve ran in the winter time.

That said my truck sees time in the woods hauling firewood, during hunting season and for general farm purposes. If you’re only on highway in winter then a less aggressive tire might suit your needs better.

If you want something less aggressive check out the Cooper AT3 4S. Wife has them on her escalade and has been really happy.

Its a 3PMS rated tire. Good road manners.

Back