Need Windows 7 Pro ISO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the COA. I have no disks. Microsoft says:

Quote:
The product key you entered appears to be for software pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options.

Download Windows 7 disc image

I would like to just download Windows 7 with contacting HP. Is that possible? Thanks!

The ISO that you are trying to download is the retail version and (based upon what you have posted) the key that you have is for the OEM version. They are mutually exclusive and you either need a retail key or the OEM ISO. HP will likely send you a link to download the OEM version--it cannot hurt to contact them.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
The ISO that you are trying to download is the retail version and (based upon what you have posted) the key that you have is for the OEM version. They are mutually exclusive and you either need a retail key or the OEM ISO. HP will likely send you a link to download the OEM version--it cannot hurt to contact them.

Thanks. Learning....

Originally Posted By: JGmazda
This should help you... https://www.raymond.cc/blog/links-for-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-microsofts-official-distributer/

Thanks! It covered many things I read. Some I am not comfortable with. I bought the computer with Windows 10 installed and with refurb COA in addition to the original Windows 7 COA. I am wondering if the bios will say it is a Windows 10 computer now?

This is for a soon to be 78 year old friend. Struggled a week with Ubuntu and threw in the towel. I may just install 10 since 7 will not be supported much longer. Making a creation tool for 10 now. She has a slow Windows 7 machine to use until I sort this out.

JGMazda, your link worked for ISO. It accepted key for Windows 7. Just need to get some drivers from HP. Thanks!

You can also skip the Windows 7 step if your intention is ti put 10 back on it and use the 7 key to install 10.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
You can also skip the Windows 7 step if your intention is ti put 10 back on it and use the 7 key to install 10.

At her age change comes slow. Just about have Windows 7 set up the way she likes it. When Windows is not supported I will switch to 10 and make it look like an earlier version of Windows. Nice to know the Windows 7 key can be used.

Monkeyman - Glad it helped!
smile.gif
I never made the "upgrade" to Windows 10 as I really like Windows 7 and it's uncluttered OS. In fact, it's still used at many businesses. It's definitely a process to install. Glad you got it working!

Win 7 support is good until 1/24/2020. I still use XP on my car laptop and still get updates about every time I drag it out to use. I would think MS will still make critical updates for Win 7 too. They just don't advertise it.

Well, have been using computer for days. Very fast with Samsung SSD. Not one issue. That last step was to set up AOL email as Home Page, making it easy to read emails. Then bang, full red screen saying my computer is infected. I had just opened an email from a trusted source. Dang! Shut her down. Ran ESET. Installed trial of Malwarebytes. Nothing found. It was on Firefox and that email never had a problem again when opening after that. Then I had closed Firefox and when I opened it again full screen saying infected. Just on the page with AOL ads and email to left. I installed Ublock origin. Then I was told the other Windows 7 computer had the same problem a few times. The original problem was AOL had fraudulent web page that acted like Tech Support from AOL that she allowed to remote in and take control of her computer.

I am hoping Ublock Origin is the solution. Ever since AOL merged with Oath things have gone south. They charged $4.99 monthly to use their Gold browser which was not that great. Maybe the Gold part is extortion from things on their web page that are malicious. At least she started using Firefox, now this.

Any ideas? Would Windows 10 make a difference?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I'd suggest she try the Brave browser, which has built-in ad-blocking.

Thanks! I just installed 10 on another computer. Can tell she is not ready for 10,but Brave browser looks promising. Logged on with my AOL account and it looks like it will do what she needs. She loves Africa and seeing big cats close up. Maybe it is a sign.
grin.gif

PS You have saved me so many times. Hard to express how much you are appreciated.

Brave is nice in ways. Problem I had was I had to download PDF and Word files to view them. Think it would be too hard for her to learn those extra steps. It took over 20 years to switch from using AOL browser to Firefox. No red warning window since installing Ublock Origin (cross fingers).

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
Brave is nice in ways. Problem I had was I had to download PDF and Word files to view them. Think it would be too hard for her to learn those extra steps. It took over 20 years to switch from using AOL browser to Firefox. No red warning window since installing Ublock Origin (cross fingers).

Chrome with Adblock Plus is close, but there should be (full disclosure: I have not checked) a way to allow Brave to use the PDF-type plugin that Chrome uses, since they are both based on Chromium.

The problem with Chrome is she kept installing toolbars/plugins in Chrome. When she installed the Ask.com plugin she thought she was hacked and paid a shop $50 to remove. Last toolbar was found by ESET after her email was spoofed. So no more Chrome for her. Less is more.

Firefox worked well this morning. I think Ublock Origin is going to do the trick. The bonus of her using Firefox is I use it 99% of the time.

A bonus is Firefox is faster online: Speedof.Me: Firefox: 147 Mbps Brave: 117 Mbps IE: 86 Mbps

Last, after all this work she had no interest in her new computer. Now if there is a problem I will be the first to know.
smile.gif

Last night Microsoft asked to verify if Windows 7 was Genuine. I had to input a series if 6 numbers in 9 boxes. End result was it was verified Genuine.
grin.gif

Also no red screens saying computer infected after installing Ublock Origin.

More important no complaints from the person using the computer. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back