Need to do a little degreasing

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
While checking under the hood earlier, I noticed a dirty greasy-oily spot on the engine block. Can't tell if it's a leak or just the remnants of a spill or drip, so it has to be cleaned.

I was thinking of trying some Dawn dishwashing detergent and an old toothbrush before running to O'Reilly's to buy some solvent-based degreaser. Is there any downside to using Dawn? Anything I need to be careful with, any caveats? I suspect this is really a no-brainer question - might even garner a few comments - but hell, if I don't know something, I ask.

That said, if the Dawn doesn't work, is there anything in a small spray can that might do the trick simply, inexpensively, and which is OK for the environment? O'Reilly's has Gum Out and CRC cleaner and degreasers in a spray can. Worthwhile?

Works pretty well I'd say. I mixed it with water, maybe something like a 1 to 4 ratio in a spray bottle. Used the super concentrated, paint brush to agitate after some dwell time and rinse with garden hose for a '12 Camry.

Reactions: JC1
Works pretty well I'd say. I mixed it with water, maybe something like a 1 to 4 ratio in a spray bottle. Used the super concentrated, paint brush to agitate after some dwell time and rinse with garden hose for a '12 Camry.
OK to do if the engine is warm ... cooled down after an hour or so from a short, local run of 3 miles? Would it be better stone-cold, like 1st thing in the AM?

Dawn Dish Soap is excellent for degreasing.
I would at least mix it with hot water.

If you don't want to use a garden hose for rinsing, a gentlemen's method would be to use a Pump Sprayer filled with water.
The kind people use for their lawns.

If the engine hasn't been cleaned ever, I'd just wash the whole thing at the self-serve car wash with a can of Gunk and the spray wand. For just a small spot of grease, a can of brake cleaner should work too.

OK to do if the engine is warm ... cooled down after an hour or so from a short, local run of 3 miles? Would it be better stone-cold, like 1st thing in the AM?
Yes, that will be fine. In fact I'd rather remove warm grease than cold, hardened gunk. Makes removal easier when agitating with a soft brush.

Ya if the grease and grim is that tough then you should consider a pressure washer or at least a couple of cleanings . There are some pressure washers ones on amazon.

But DON"T wash your engine warm unless it is a pre ECU and pre electronic ignition engine. And even then and either way you would should still prep the engine first before washing it. ;)

I know with my MAZDA that I wash at least every 4-6 weeks somewhere I read and laughed states DO NOT to wash the engine.
I wish I could remember where I rea that?

It's just a small spot, soft, not too thick. A pressure washer is way overkill. It's a very localized situation.

I used a toothbrush and Dawn, rinsed off with warm water from a spray bottle, and that worked pretty well. I'd say I got about 90% of it ... there were some crevices that would be better cleaned with a spray of degreaser directed right on the area.

Most important, it seems that there's no leak, and the area is clean enough that it can be monitored for future potential leaks. That was my main concern.

Thanks for all your ideas. Have a great holiday weekend, be safe.

I was thinking of trying some Dawn dishwashing detergent and an old toothbrush before running to O'Reilly's to buy some solvent-based degreaser. Is there any downside to using Dawn?

Don't use the Dawn liquid. Buy the Dawn, "Power Wash" instead. It comes in a trigger spray that shoots a foam. It really degreases well, and sticks to the surface it's sprayed on better than just the plain Dawn liquid detergent. They also sell refills for it. Another good product is "Super Clean". It comes in jugs, as well as a trigger spray. It's also great for degreasing engines.

Don't use the Dawn liquid. Buy the Dawn, "Power Wash" instead. It comes in a trigger spray that shoots a foam. It really degreases well, and sticks to the surface it's sprayed on better than just the plain Dawn liquid detergent. They also sell refills for it. Another good product is "Super Clean". It comes in jugs, as well as a trigger spray. It's also great for degreasing engines.
I also like that Dawn, "Power Wash" and Super clean are both biodegradable. (y)

Back