Need some counseling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my dilemma and I know I'm not alone in this but just picked up 2016 4Runner SR5 and can't wrap my brain around this first oil change at 10k miles. When my wife bought her 2014 Accord I read were Honda strongly recommends leaving in FF until OLM came on at 15% due to moly or something to aid in break in. Is this the case with Toyota as well? Also have read that Toyota runs engines at factory then changes oil and filter before shipping, can anyone verify if this actually happens? TIA

If they say 10k and you care about your warranty, well...

Personally I dump the FF ASAP, just in case the castings weren't cleaned 100% perfectly at assembly.

What about leaving the oil in per the OLM, but changing the filter to a Fram Ultra or Mobil 1 at about 2,000 miles? You keep the special add pack, but move up to a more efficient filter.

Oh, and welcome to BITOG!!!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mvent
Here's my dilemma and I know I'm not alone in this but just picked up 2016 4Runner SR5 and can't wrap my brain around this first oil change at 10k miles. When my wife bought her 2014 Accord I read were Honda strongly recommends leaving in FF until OLM came on at 15% due to moly or something to aid in break in. Is this the case with Toyota as well? Also have read that Toyota runs engines at factory then changes oil and filter before shipping, can anyone verify if this actually happens? TIA

i have heard this as well. but i still changed mine at 5,000 miles

UOA from new engines almost universally show high wear metals, regardless of brand.

Oil changes remove damaging compounds, metals and carbon particulates from the engine.

Many new engines use timing chains. Many are wearing out early due to long oil change intervals and ultra thin oil.

Change it.

I can't believe people here on BITOG believe in the myth that the FF is something "special" and it needs to be left in the engine to "properly break it in". Jeeez. Come on fellas.

When I buy a new car, I change the oil at 500, 1000, and 2500 miles and then resume normal OCI's.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
I can't believe people here on BITOG believe in the myth that the FF is something "special" and it needs to be left in the engine to "properly break it in". Jeeez. Come on fellas.

When I buy a new car, I change the oil at 500, 1000, and 2500 miles and then resume normal OCI's.

Factory fill oils do vary quite a lot with different engines. In general terms it's a silly idea to ignore the advice of the manufacturer, because if the factory fill is a special brew with higher or different anti wear additives, changing it early could be bad news.

Honda is the only manufacturer with moly anti wear factory additives. A Honda should go about 5000. All others it is a good idea to change at 1000-1500 IMO. I just got a 2016 Avalon and the dealer put a 5000 mile sticker in the window.

Last edited:
The wear metals that show up in an ICP or AA analysis are not the particles that are causing wear, if there are any to begin with. Those particles are trapped by the oil filter. The metals showing up in the analysis are the result of wear, not wear causing.

And do carbon particles cause wear?

the only authority is to go with the owners manual and the folks who made the car. Otherwise go with whatever makes you feel better.
if you go to the forums you see both groups of folks who decided one way or another,there is no significant difference in outcome or anybody saying I was wrong I should have done x instead of y.

anyone who cares enough about the car to even consider the dilemma is not going to have oil related issues caused by their choice.

Originally Posted By: Doog
I just got a 2016 Avalon and the dealer put a 5000 mile sticker in the window.

Yep, and that sticker is to rotate the tires and check the fluid levels only. No oil change included with the 5000 mile service.

Interesting. I have just the opposite opinion-I think it's asinine to change oil at 500, 1,000 and 2,500 miles on a new vehicle. Are all the vehicles you purchase so poorly manufactured that they still have a huge amount of manufacturing debris still in the engine?

Factory fill, with at least 100 hours on the first OCI:
ty26661.jpg

Originally Posted By: mvent

My friend got the exact same vehicle late last year. He ran it out to 10k and the dealer is giving him 3 free oil changes so he waited and took it there.

Judging by the quality of Toyota oil and of the vehicle, I bet it will still last for 20 years easy....

Some would consider this ultra anal retentive.

Change the oil. Get the break in wear metals you will sleep at night. Do the differentials and the trans as well.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK

Factory fill oils do vary quite a lot with different engines. In general terms it's a silly idea to ignore the advice of the manufacturer, because if the factory fill is a special brew with higher or different anti wear additives, changing it early could be bad news.

There is absolutely no evidence to support that hypothesis. In fact, the data points to just the opposite. Those who change oil more frequently have fewer problems and longer engine life. One only need look at the GM oil life monitor issues and rapid chain wear for a modern example.

Somebody please ask me if I'd leave the oil in my brand new 2016 4Runner for 10,000 miles. . .

Go ahead ask me; I dare'ya.
grin2.gif

The average Toyota car has the same level of excitement in use and in its look as a toaster and this has always been the case.
These cars are all about a couple of hundred thousand miles of trouble free use.
Do you really think that Toyota would compromise its rep for building solid if uninspired transportation by recommending an OCI too long for its engines?
If it makes you feel any better, the IOLM on our '12 Accord will also allow 10K drains on 0W-20 if you take it down to 0%.
If you're concerned about what oil the dealer would actually use, you could ask them.
If you're really worried, you could do some oil changes of your own in between the free ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back