Need recommendations for a tankless gas water heater...

my tank heater is starting to leak from the bottom. I'm considering going tankless. What are some decent ones? It's for 1 bathroom, single family home.

I think Rinnai is the most popular go to brand. Our new house has one, works great but I would never convert a tank heater if I already had one to a tankless.
To me it doesnt make sense. Your not going to save money, its an inconvenience to do 1 to 3 year maintenance on tankless depending on your water supply. Most likely will not be as trouble free over the long term and there are many more things to go wrong with it.
Cost of a tankless replacement is significantly higher too.

Oh, you are also going to use more water waiting for the hot water to flow

Agree with post #2, plus you cannot get ANY water to flow when you lose power from the HW tap. For your use case( 1 bathroom), I'd reload with whatever (Gas or electric) you have now.

Unless you have a supply, or a space problem today you wont benefit much from a tankless unit.

Make sure you have enough gas supply to power a tankless unit - you may not.

Rinnai, Takagi, Navien, Noritz, are all good units.
If you are going to do this, get a unit with a recirculator built into it.

This way you get the benefit of instant, as well as unlimited hot water.

Agree with post #2, plus you cannot get ANY water to flow when you lose power from the HW tap. For your use case( 1 bathroom), I'd reload with whatever (Gas or electric) you have now.
WOW! What a great point, never occurred to me. Now I have one more thing to hate about it. *LOL* Thanks!
Builders love to slap these things on the sides of homes. They get them cheap (quantity) cheap to plumb, no chimney ya da ya da. Some used to consider it a "status" thing and it would be on more expensive homes, now I am seeing regular old hot water tanks going in the expensive custom homes and the tankless on the cheaper production homes.

So now if we get hit with a major storm, instead of limitless hot water during a power failure that I would have had with the last house NG gas tank water heater. I now will not have any hot water with our latest, greatest tankless heater on our new home.

I did not experience this. I can get water without power to the unit, just not hot water.

WOW! What a great point, never occurred to me. Now I have one more thing to hate about it. *LOL* Thanks!
Builders love to slap these things on the sides of homes. They get them cheap (quantity) cheap to plumb, no chimney ya da ya da. Some used to consider it a "status" thing and it would be on more expensive homes, now I am seeing regular old hot water tanks going in the expensive custom homes and the tankless on the cheaper production homes.

So now if we get hit with a major storm, instead of limitless hot water during a power failure that I would have had with the last house NG gas tank water heater. I now will not have any hot water with our latest, greatest tankless heater on our new home.

You cant get "limitless hot water" with a tank, you can only get what the tank can provide at one time.

I bought a Noritz. Love it. My main complaint is the 1st hot water of the day takes time and wastes water. And our house is small, with 2 bathrooms and the kitchen on the same wall.
I would consider a re-circulation system.

Everybody just jumping to answer the question without knowing the facts???
This is very important but simple question.
Read the title of the thread...

To the OP for that small of a demand a tankless seems like overkill, but if you are space limited and forced to stay with a tankless unit I like Navien. I agree with others, go with a recirc pump.

plus you cannot get ANY water to flow when you lose power from the HW tap
Not true with my Renai - no power I get cold water.

I like it, but I have two daughters, so it runs pretty much constant. Our water here is pretty soft. I have never flushed it. Been meaning to but never have.

I did not experience this. I can get water without power to the unit, just not hot water.
Not true with my Renai - no power I get cold water.

I think Egg_Head is saying the same thing (i.e., you won't get HOT water flow if you lose power).

Last edited:
For folks in warm climates, it really is hard to beat an 80 gallon hybrid water heater.

In my case, it air-conditions the garage, and keeps the cars at a nice temperature. And saved me a fortune over my previous propane 50 gal water heater.
Yes...they are a win win in a situation like yours. If I were in your climate that is what I would have.

For folks in warm climates, it really is hard to beat an 80 gallon hybrid water heater.

In my case, it air-conditions the garage, and keeps the cars at a nice temperature. And saved me a fortune over my previous propane 50 gal water heater.
How's the reliability of your Hybrid heater? I've heard not so great things about what they sell at HD/Lowes at least.

OP, don't forget to factor in electric hookup which could be more expensive than the tankless unit itself.

Back