Need Opinions On Stop Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
How bad is the leak?

Well, it makes about a 3" circle on his "NEW" driveway.
How about using VML 5W20 with the Lubro Moly Oil Saver?

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I'm telling ya the lubro-moly motor oil save works. And it's no more than 8 bucks at napa.
Unless the gasket is physically broken motor oil saver will cure it.
Nothing beats actual gasket replacement however if your just trying to nurse it along for whatever reason motor oil saver works.
Heck if it doesn't work I'll pay for the can myself,that's how confident I am with the stuff.
Nhhemi. Have you got a PayPal account. If it doesn't work I'll gift you the cost of the can.
When it does work please let the whole forum know please.

I don't doubt you that the LM oil saver works well. You are one of the folks I listened to when I 1st asked about these types of products when I thought it was an external leak. I don't need anyone buying products for me either.

However, as I have stated in this thread, the problem is not an external gasket/seal leak afterall but rather some type of internal consumption issues. The LM stuff did not stop it or reduce it. I am simply trying Auto-RX to see if maybe it might help as it has helped some others. Most likely it won't but the $50 gamble was worth a shot.

I am not tearing the engine apart on this vehicle to fix the issue which frankly is the right way and most likely only way to stop the consumption. I would put a used or reman'd engine in before doing that. The car has a lot of miles and my Sister is not keeping it forever so expensive repairs for the oil issue are out.

It actually runs pretty good finally after all the work I did to it( another $230 yesterday for a new fuel pressure regulator )so I am basically just trying to see if I can stop/slow the consumption issue to protect the CC's until we sell the vehicle. Truth be told it is mostly trying to stop the burning oil smell as well. It doesn't consume much but it stinks pretty good at times.

Again, I am sure the LM stuff works fine but it is no longer a gasket/seal issue it is something internal. The LM stuff did not stop it. "MAYBE" the Auto-RX will help? If not I am out $50 and we deal with it until selling the car.

This is a hail mary last ditch attempt.

Thanks for the help on this. It was appreciated.

BTW - I would never dream of asking Frank at Auto-RX for a refund period. I know( have heard/seen )how that company operates. I will give the product a shot though for what little if any good it will do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
How bad is the leak?

Ouch! The VML 5W20 would be great with the Motor Oil Saver.

How bad is the leak?

We did the OCI with VML 5W20 along with the can of Lubro Moly.
My dad only drives about 1000-1500 miles a month in his car. When should there be signs of the leak possibly slowing down or stopping?
BTW, that Lubro Moly is a VERY thick additive!
shocked2.gif

How bad is the leak?

My dad only drives about 1000-1500 miles a month in his car. When should there be signs of the leak possibly slowing down or stopping?
shocked2.gif

How long should it take? Great question, it depends on what was leaking and how bad the leak was. All you can do is keep an eye out for the leak, and check the oil. You'll know. A torn gasket or seal all bets are off.

I told you the stuff was thick.
smile.gif

The VML 5W20 would be great with the Motor Oil Saver.

shocked2.gif

How long should it take? Great question, it depends on what was leaking and how bad the leak was. All you can do is keep an eye out for the leak, and check the oil. You'll know. A torn gasket or seal all bets are off.

I told you the stuff was thick.
smile.gif

When I used to build engines I would mix a 50/50 mixture of STP oil treatment and SAE 30 wt. oil to coat the pistons upon installation. This Lubro Moly makes my mixture look like water.
grin.gif

My dad had to drive to Monroe, La. today. It was a 390 mile round trip. He got back about 8:30 tonight. We put a piece of cardboard under the engine and will check it in the morning for any oil leaks.
To be continued.......

At 1:35 PM CST today we pulled the cardboard from under the engine. Before doing the VML and Lubro Moly OCI the oil spot/ring was about 4" in diameter. Yesterday, my dad drove over 400 miles before parking it at 8:30 PM last night. There is an oil spot/ring about 2-2.5" in diameter on the cardboard.
To be continued.............

At 1:35 PM CST today we pulled the cardboard from under the engine. Before doing the VML and Lubro Moly OCI the oil spot/ring was about 4" in diameter. Yesterday, my dad drove over 400 miles before parking it at 8:30 PM last night. There is an oil spot/ring about 2-2.5" in diameter on the cardboard.

UPDATE!
Its been 3 weeks now that we did an OCI with VML 5W20 and Lubro Moly. My dad has put 1825 miles on the OCI. The oil leak circle is down to about a 1-1/4" diameter circle on the card board we placed under the engine. Something is working.
thumbsup2.gif

Seeing as this was MY thread(
crackmeup2.gif
)I guess I should update how my Sister's car is doing with the Auto-RX...

2 bottles of ARX has been in now for a couple weeks and about 600+ miles. The oil smell in the exhaust has diminished quite a bit. You have to be outside now to smell it or sitting for a long time idling for any smell to come inside. It is definitely better and not anywhere near as bad outside.

The engine hasn't run rough or anything and no CEL's like they said may happen. I do hear a "little" engine noise now( clattering at idle )as they talked of but I am doing my best to ignore it( not easy )as it is a normal possibility. If it gets much worse I am changing the filter early otherwise I will change the oil filter at 1000 miles p/ directions then do an OC at 2000( from original OC ).

In full disclosure. Right around the same time we did the OC the fuel pressure regulator was replaced. It was leaking fuel onto the engine. It was the cause of the fuel smell it had and may have contributed to the strong chemical/oil smell( dissolving crud on the block ). Now that it is fixed and not leaking onto the block it may be part of why the oil/chemical smell is so much less?

All in all so far the ARX does not seem to have hurt and may have helped. It definitely doesn't smell as bad anymore that is for 100% sure. Oil level has dropped less than normal as well to this point.

UPDATE!
Its been 3 weeks now that we did an OCI with VML 5W20 and Lubro Moly. My dad has put 1825 miles on the OCI. The oil leak circle is down to about a 1-1/4" diameter circle on the card board we placed under the engine. Something is working.
thumbsup2.gif

I went to my dads house this AM and checked the card board. This past week was a very busy week for my dad. The current OCI now has almost 2500K miles on it and the drip is now almost as small as a quarter (25 cents) in diameter.
I wonder if it's the VML doing a better job on the leak over the Lubro Moly, or vise versa? Or, could it be both, equal?

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

In full disclosure. Right around the same time we did the OC the fuel pressure regulator was replaced. It was leaking fuel onto the engine. It was the cause of the fuel smell it had and may have contributed to the strong chemical/oil smell( dissolving crud on the block ). Now that it is fixed and not leaking onto the block it may be part of why the oil/chemical smell is so much less?

How long was she running with a bad fuel pressure regulator? Aside from a gas smell you mentioned and breaking down crud in the engine it can cause damage and extra wear to the engine too. Changing it would improve the idle and stop the smell of gas. Hopefully it wasn't driven too long with the bad FP regulator.

The current OCI now has almost 2500K miles on it and the drip is now almost as small as a quarter (25 cents) in diameter.
I wonder if it's the VML doing a better job on the leak over the Lubro Moly, or vise versa? Or, could it be both, equal?

I don't see why Lubro-Moly/Liqui-Moly would stop a leak to the floor. There is simply nothing in that product designed to solve that problem. Basically, you need to fix leaky seals or gaskets or something similar.

Liqui-Moly Anti Friction should reduce oil consumption by reducing oil flow past the piston rings. It should provide some other benefits as well.

Originally Posted By: dave5358
The current OCI now has almost 2500K miles on it and the drip is now almost as small as a quarter (25 cents) in diameter.

I don't see why Lubro-Moly/Liqui-Moly would stop a leak to the floor. There is simply nothing in that product designed to solve that problem. Basically, you need to fix leaky seals or gaskets or something similar.

Liqui-Moly Anti Friction should reduce oil consumption by reducing oil flow past the piston rings. It should provide some other benefits as well.

I saw it posted by many BITOG members, and from locals where I live, that it works.
You are correct, that a leaking seal/gasket 'SHOULD' be replaced. 'BUT', why not give Lubro-Moly a try, along with VML? My dad said if it didn't work he would have Ford R&R the rear main seal. It seems to be working.
21.gif

http://www.liqui-moly.us/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/us_2020.html?Opendocument&land=US

I saw it posted by many BITOG members, and from locals where I live, that it works.
You are correct, that a leaking seal/gasket 'SHOULD' be replaced. 'BUT', why not give Lubro-Moly a try, along with VML? My dad said if it didn't work he would have Ford R&R the rear main seal. It seems to be working.

The point I was trying to make was this: there are products that claim to fix or improve leaking seals. I'm not as sure as to leaking gaskets, but who knows? In either case, replacement would be the best option but that's expensive and a user might not have the time to get to it.

As for Liqui-Moly, I don't think it makes any claims in these departments. The mechanism by which it stops oil past the rings is by adhering to the metal rings and cylinder walls - not swelling rubber parts or forming silt dams in gaskets. VML might do something in the latter departments. I have no experience with VML.

The point I was trying to make was this: there are products that claim to fix or improve leaking seals. I'm not as sure as to leaking gaskets, but who knows? In either case, replacement would be the best option but that's expensive and a user might not have the time to get to it.

As for Liqui-Moly, I don't think it makes any claims in these departments. The mechanism by which it stops oil past the rings is by adhering to the metal rings and cylinder walls - not swelling rubber parts or forming silt dams in gaskets. VML might do something in the latter departments. I have no experience with VML.

Dave, I understand your point too. That's why I stated, if the VML-Valvoline MaxLife oil along with the Lubro-Moly does not fix the 'LEAKING REAR MAIN SEAL' my dad will have Ford fix it.
I provided the Lubto-Moly link for you to read where it states, 'It prevents leaks and regenerates SEALS'. That to me sounds as if it 'WILL' stop a rear main seal leak.
confused2.gif

http://www.liqui-moly.us/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/us_2020.html?Opendocument&land=US

I provided the Lubto-Moly link for you to read where it states, 'It prevents leaks and regenerates SEALS'. That to me sounds as if it 'WILL' stop a rear main seal leak.

My bad - I didn't look at the link. I was thinking of Liqui-Moly Anti Friction - the MoS2 product. The Motor Oil Saver seems to be the German equivalent of various American 'stop leak' seal-gasket-fixer products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back