Need opinions on a used car for my son PART 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
A scarey time the kids first car. I remember when after my kids got their license to drive ,,,the first trip out ALONE. They did good.

Originally Posted By: redbone3
How about an older Miata? There are a lot of them around in very good condition, they get good mileage, they are fairly reliable, and your son might actually like one!

Oh no, not a Miata; they are too sporty!
It's always funny to see people shoot down the recommendations of entertaining cars- "I have to drive an anodyne soul-killing appliance- and you should have to as well."

I was more concerned that my son know how to drive- as opposed to what he drove. I sent him to the two day teen school at the BMW Performance Center as well as to the one day Street Survival course. His car- a 1975 2002. That choice sure generated self-righteous comments from the hand-wringing minions of the Safety Gestapo...

I don't think the sportiness is the issue with the Miata. Well, kind of. A small and light RWD car with very low ground clearance is not ideal as someone's only transportation in the snowy Northeast.

My first car was RWD, but it was a 3,000 lb. Volvo with studded Nokian Hakkapeliittas all around and a couple of sandbags in the trunk.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
I don't think the sportiness is the issue with the Miata. Well, kind of. A small and light RWD car with very low ground clearance is not ideal as someone's only transportation in the snowy Northeast.

My first car was RWD, but it was a 3,000 lb. Volvo with studded Nokian Hakkapeliittas all around and a couple of sandbags in the trunk.

Sounds like a real chick magnet!

Originally Posted By: redbone3

Oh, it was. Slow, safe, comfortable, and slow. It's probably the only reason I'm still alive today. Everyone's first car would be a Volvo 240/740/940.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back